Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Just bought a used White's V3i. Can't wait to get it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing. Buy yourself a $10 bottle of wine.......and root against Penn State.

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 10 years ago I dug up a 1985 class ring. I found the gal still living in town. She seemed all happy to hear I'd found it. She said she'd only had it one day before losing it and told me all about it.
She even told me which field at the school she lost it on. That's where I found it.
Well it took 6 months to line up a meeting with her and on that day she never showed up and didn't answer her cell when I called to see where she was. I never called her after that and I haven't heard a word from her since.
I guess it's mine now.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 years ago I dug up a 1985 class ring. I found the gal still living in town. She seemed all happy to hear I'd found it. She said she'd only had it one day before losing it and told me all about it.
She even told me which field at the school she lost it on. That's where I found it.
Well it took 6 months to line up a meeting with her and on that day she never showed up and didn't answer her cell when I called to see where she was. I never called her after that and I haven't heard a word from her since.
I guess it's mine now.

Very strange indeed. Was she an engineer too? :tongue3:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for returning the ring. I figure 1 of 2 things was going on in his head; either he split with the gal and the ring brought back painful memories, or my first thought was that he expected that you would expect a significant reward and was reticent about paying you 50 or 100 bucks for the return of his property. He probably left most of his cash at home specifically so he could avoid a potential shakedown. The fact that he said he "didn't have much cash" but offered you some proves that it was a calculated and well-planned approach, and that he 100% expected you to request a reward. I know plenty of engineer types, and this is how many of them think. Heck; that's how I think too, lol. It's not necessarily the case that he was ungrateful; he probably just didn't trust you or your motivations, and if he displayed joy and excitement it would leave him open for potential exploitation.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the members of T-net appreciated your efforts and they awarded you with the much esteemed "Honorable mention" badge. Conratulations sir!

Magooru

Aug 13, 2013
Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett GTI 2000 (sold), White's XLT(sold), Garrett AT Pro, Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel you did a great deed in tracking him down and contacting him. It is sad to think that people can be so emotionally drained. If what we do was all about the money, he would have never seen that ring again. Plus, saying thank you and showing emotion and excitement is free (I remind my children of this all the time). If the guy was too poor to offer a reward and felt awkward because of it, I can understand, but at least go out of your way to say THANK YOU!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread