Greenie
Oct 5, 2013
Plant City, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone ID this 1950 Football Belt Buckle? It seems like it might made of brass and the W on it I don't really recognize. The only guess I can make would Wisconsin Badgers team. It also has someone's name engraved on the back which I have blacked out but it would help me narrow it down if I find them on a roster somewhere.

Attachments

• SAM_2919.JPG
    SAM_2919.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 140
  • SAM_2914.JPG
    SAM_2914.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why black out the name? that right there would solve it.. Maybe the "Washington Huskies?" Looks like they played back in the 1950s... That is an awesome find!!!

Southern Brass

Sep 6, 2013
Central , North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro , White's MXT , Bullseye II Pinpointer, MineLab Musketeer XS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the "W" sorta looks like the Wisconsin "W" but it could be also some high school football buckle . With the name blacked out in the picture its just as much a mystery to us as it is to you . Still a cool find though

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The name is the key.

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
saberrescue

saberrescue

Greenie
Oct 5, 2013
Plant City, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The name on it appears to be L. E. Sewell

SAM_2919.JPG

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the name. Did you find this in Florida?

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
saberrescue

saberrescue

Greenie
Oct 5, 2013
Plant City, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the buckle: So this was actually a thrift store find. I bought it thinking I could track down the owner and for $2 it was a small gamble. After a little bit of searching I was able to find the man and contact him, an 81 year old that lives in Wisconsin. It is a high school football buckle and he said it was stolen from him when he went in the service. I asked for his address and told him I would send it out Monday morning. He thanked me and choked up at the end of the call. Treasures come in all shapes and sizes. It's not about how much something is worth like most of these reality shows portray. It is nice to find something on our own and be able to keep it but like most things it's give and take. Unfortunately it just happened that this man had to wait 64 years to get it back.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on the buckle: So this was actually a thrift store find. I bought it thinking I could track down the owner and for $2 it was a small gamble. After a little bit of searching I was able to find the man and contact him, an 81 year old that lives in Wisconsin. It is a high school football buckle and he said it was stolen from him when he went in the service. I asked for his address and told him I would send it out Monday morning. He thanked me and choked up at the end of the call. Treasures come in all shapes and sizes. It's not about how much something is worth like most of these reality shows portray. It is nice to find something on our own and be able to keep it but like most things it's give and take. Unfortunately it just happened that this man had to wait 64 years to get it back.
I for one applaud your efforts....I am a recovery associate for theringfinders.com and know of the joy people have when reunited with their,"treasures"
this one misted me up I must admit

cheers and good on ya

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think this is OUTSTANDING, and I am going to nominate you for an Honorable Mention on the BANNER. This is one of the reasons we metal detect; the joy of being able to give back something that was lost, now found. Thank you for your act of kindness.

Sincerely,
Breezie

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know this will mean the world to Mr Sewell, you did a fine thing not only by finding him but in returning it to him, he'll will have a little more joy in his last days looking at his buckle and remembering the days of his youth!!!

Kudos to you for a great effort and success!!!

Did he mention if he was in Florida after entering the service?, if not only that buckle could tell the story of how it ended up down there!!

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good things come to good people. Have a great day!

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! When I first started in this hobby,it was all about finding.The longer your in this hobby,the more it becomes about giving back.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
You hit the nail on the head!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread