🏆 HONORABLE MENTION $820.00 in shoe box

Cojones

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't morals fascinating? If you had found an actual item in a box worth $1,000 you wouldn't think twice about selling it and profiting. But since it was actual cash, you feel an obligation to return it. What's the difference? You didn't steal it ... you purchased something that ended up being worth much more than you originally anticipated.

Not saying that you should keep it (or return it) ... but just a fascinating scenario!

Gotta agree with Fushek. This is just like if you buy a home( or a home off auction, site unseen) or if you purchase a Storage Locker . You get the good along with the bad. Plenty of costly surprises or maybe you find some hidden treasures. You bought the Home/Storage unit and all it's contents. I wonder how many return items they buy at storage units since just about all units are confiscated.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Aren't morals fascinating? If you had found an actual item in a box worth $1,000 you wouldn't think twice about selling it and profiting. But since it was actual cash, you feel an obligation to return it. What's the difference? You didn't steal it ... you purchased something that ended up being worth much more than you originally anticipated.

Not saying that you should keep it (or return it) ... but just a fascinating scenario!

I think there is a big difference. If I buy an item worth $1000 for $1, and they INTENDED to sell the item, that is not a problem. If I buy something and there is something HIDDEN in it worth far more than the original item, something the seller had no idea was there, then I have an obligation to try to correct obvious mistake. The question is did they INTEND to sell it or not? If you are not sure, you should ask. Similar line, I bought a Whitman Type Coin Holder for $.25. When I got to my car, I noticed that there was a Franklin $.50 in it. I went back and offered her $5 for the coin. I could have driven away, but she had no intention of selling that $.50 piece for $.25... That type of thing has happened several times. I once found a box filled with coins. I asked the price and was told $5. I bought it and was walking around the sale waiting for my friends. The guy who sold it to me came over, looked in the box and said, "There's a lot more that $5 in coins in there. Guess I messed that up." I asked him what he thought would be fair. He said another $10 would probably cover it. No problem. I'll take $8 or $10 face of silver for $15... Any day.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there is a big difference. If I buy an item worth $1000 for $1, and they INTENDED to sell the item, that is not a problem. If I buy something and there is something HIDDEN in it worth far more than the original item, something the seller had no idea was there, then I have an obligation to try to correct obvious mistake. The question is did they INTEND to sell it or not? If you are not sure, you should ask. Similar line, I bought a Whitman Type Coin Holder for $.25. When I got to my car, I noticed that there was a Franklin $.50 in it. I went back and offered her $5 for the coin. I could have driven away, but she had no intention of selling that $.50 piece for $.25... That type of thing has happened several times. I once found a box filled with coins. I asked the price and was told $5. I bought it and was walking around the sale waiting for my friends. The guy who sold it to me came over, looked in the box and said, "There's a lot more that $5 in coins in there. Guess I messed that up." I asked him what he thought would be fair. He said another $10 would probably cover it. No problem. I'll take $8 or $10 face of silver for $15... Any day.

I had a similar situation once. After I paid for the item, I went and put it in my car and then proceeded to continue my shopping.

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the same with a sterling pitcher I bought for $5...dropped it in the car then went back and bought 5 boxes of late '80s gi joes soldiers and vehicles for $30. Later sold the pitcher for $400!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then on the other hand, many estate sales and auctions that are filled with stuff that the owner is quite sure is broken, but they sell it anyway. I just went to an auction, and there was a Garrett GTAx, and looked like it hadent been used much. I checked it out as best as I could, but no batteries, so I thought I would take a chance. Well of course it didnt work. After I got it home, and unscrewed the battery pack, seen that it just had broken wires in it! Of course the seller knew it was useless, but he wanted to pass it on to someone else.

Anyway, the point is that at an auction or estate sale, sometimes you have good luck, sometimes bad. Im sure for you, you did the right thing, for me, I would have kept it, and thrown out the other junk, that was probably broke anyway!

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two dozen organic freshly laid eggs - $8.
Cash in shoe box - $820.
One human being with honor - priceless. :thumbsup:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread