stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rural country road has an old roadside park that I'v often thought about going to. Out of the way and today was cold, windy (temps got down to 35 last night or colder) .... but I decided since I was in that part of Arkansas to go to it. Its got several rock shelter things built, fire pit, etc.

Was there 3 minutes and I dug one pop cap and looked up and this woman was walking towards me. I figured someone to run me off, because next to it was a car dump/garage run down place and I figured she lived there. Anyway, she says something and I can't hear because I'm 1/2 deaf and its windy .... and then again, can I help her, and when she looked up I see her face covered in dried blood.

That changed everything fast. I asked her if anyone was after her right then and trying to hurt her - because I have a CC weapon permit and carry, and I need to know right then if this was a situation that could escalate with an attacker fast. She said no, then maybe. I said ok, I'll absolutely help you and if you'll feel safe, get in my car and lets get you help.

She nodded yes - and we got in and I drove us out of there as fast as I could get going. I had no desire to stay with her in that park, not knowing what was what. No cell phone coverage either.

Looking back, she never asked me any questions, like who I was, where was I from, what was I doing, nothing. I didn't touch her even though I really wanted to look at her face/head closer. She showed me her hands when I asked - they were not bloodied. I talked to her non-stop, asking her things and telling her things about me .... she told me her first name, she said the town she lived in, she wanted to go "home". I got from her a story that sometime in the night, two men in a truck beat her and threw her out and threatened to take her baby. This was noon time so she'd been sleeping in leaves for what - 12 hours or more? That's all she'd tell me really. She told me her ribs hurt badly, she was very very cold. I'm a talker, and talked all the way and she never said much at all. About 15 miles away was a small station, I got her a water very quickly and she didn't open it or try to drink.

I called 911 as soon as I could get service and an officer and Game Warden met me at a crossroad another 10 miles. So I was with her ... maybe 30 minutes total.

The officer I think was a bit shocked at how she looked even though I told the 911 operator what was about. He helped her to his vehicle - and she was still shaking badly and moving much slower. He quickly took my information, and left. First thing he told me when he saw her was " she needs medical attention now" .... yes I knew that.

If I had to guess .... she got into a truck somehow with the two guys, they took her to that remote park and raped/beat her and left her. I'd guess the blood on her face was from a blow to the head, maybe a concussion and she'd not been awake long or she'd have flagged someone else on the road? Her jacket had leaves and grass and dirt - I don't doubt her story.

First few minutes was a bit intense - I have no reason to believe I was at the park at the right time to help her and for no other reason but that. God can work me like that anytime he wants to. I'll likely never know how she is, what happened etc .... I doubt I'll ever have a day metal detecting like that again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you sir are a good man, well done

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeesh....glad you were there, hope it all works out for her....
I mean, what can we say?.....awful that happened to her

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done :occasion14:

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job stepping up. It's a brutal world out there but you made it a bit better with your deed.

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thank you for helping her. I too have a conceal carry and always have a weapon when I go out in the weeds. It's a scary world out there!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done sir! A TRUE good Samaritan! You also read the situation correctly from the beginning in asking if there was still a threat in the area and in getting her out safely. Fast thinking and good decision making.

OP
OP
S

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to post I guess more than anything to say that anything can happen at anytime, and even knowing that .... I never would have dreamed this situation to happen today or any other.

I would think most people would have done very similar.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U8INyfB.gif

2784249-0657777742-4jaPK.gif

wtf%20(2).gif

I hope they find the baby. dang. Hats off to you and prayers to the lady.

sweetinsanty

Jan 26, 2017
Cashtown
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes! God used you today to do an angels work. its hard to say how she might have ended up without your help. God Bless you Sir.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sir for what you did! We all have ladies in our lives that we care about and that could have been one of ours that you helped. Also, thank you for being an armed citizen.

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thats a crazy story. Glad you were able to help her. So awful for her and hope everything turns out ok. Post an update if you hear!

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a story. My congregations on your level head. I too always carry because it not Mayberry out there anymore and as you found out anything can happen. Honorable mention at the least. Hope she and the baby are ok.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I agree good job that's the good thing about having a CC I have no problem protecting someones life.............That's an Honorable Mention in my book

Last edited:

wolf74623

Jan 22, 2017
Henderson North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your right you were directed there for a reason and happy you listened to what was in your head - he directs us for a reason I believe that, great job. you could always call the department back and believe me they will remember you and ask them how things turned out >:) just a thought

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job and hats off to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honorable Mention indeed. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread