[HONORABLE MENTION] Class ring returned to the owner’s widow 58 years after it was lost
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Class ring returned to the owner’s widow 58 years after it was lost

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Class ring returned to the owner’s widow 58 years after it was lost

A month ago I found a class ring at the old high school. It didn’t have a school name on it but it did have a letter on the stone that was the same as the name of the school. I contacted some members of the class of 1961 to see if this was indeed a ring from that school. One member said his class ring had the school name on it and his initials were inscribed on the inside. The ring I found did not have the name on it and the initials are on the outside. When I looked at the yearbook on line I noticed that 2 different jewelry stores sold class rings. It turns out that one sold Balfour rings and the other sold Jostens rings. Mine was a jostens ring. The first guy had a Balfour ring from store number one. I found another member of the class who got a ring from store number two and her ring had the initials on the outside like mine. So I now knew I had the right school.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA85F862-6E9E-43A0-B064-958BC115225E.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	643.6 KB 
ID:	1807069

The yearbook only had one man with the initials on my ring. I did a search for him and found his obituary. He died in 2018. The obituary gave me the name of his wife and a number of close friends. I searched for phone. numbers and gave everyone a try. His wife was in the phone book but the phone was disconnected. No luck on anyone else either, most of the numbers were not in service. If I got someone they didn’t know the widow’s location. I talked to other members of the class and they didn’t know either, but one of them put me in contact with a man who they said could find anybody. So after several weeks, yesterday I got a call from the widow and set up a meeting. It turns out after a lot of searching the widow lives a half mile from the go to guy and his niece is her landlord. It’s a small world after all.

When I got there this morning she was waiting at the door for me. She said she was so excited about the ring she didn’t sleep at all last night. When I handed her the ring she touched it to her cheek like she was giving it a hug. She kept thanking me and she said this was the best thing that had happened to her in a long time. She gave me a big hug and said she wanted my address so she could send me some money when her social security check came in. I told her she didn’t need to give me anything. I’m an Eagle Scout and a scout leader and this was my good turn for the day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBB7BF44-77B1-404C-B62D-5CA23100346C.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	641.2 KB 
ID:	1807070

The widow did not know the story of the loss, but knew her husband lost it while he was still in school so it was in the ground at least 58 years. She couldn’t believe that I had found it at all. She was also amazed that I had taken the time to track her down. Things have not been going in her favor and she even had to borrow the landlady’s phone to call me. Knowing that I was even happier to be able to help her out.

So class ring found February 1 and returned March 1 for return number 17 out of 25. I’m still working on one more, but I think I am still beating my head against the wall on this one and it may be another one that is impossible to return. I have found 5 class rings since October and have returned 4 of them. The fifth one is not possible to return, no year, only one initial because of a break in the ring and the school name is not local and there are 7 schools with that name, so not a chance for that one. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.
    If you’re not digging trash you are missing treasure.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41400 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Honorable Mention you brought a piece of him back to her for the moment. Great story your a great person. Well done Tommy
    WG2020, U.B., Greastart and 5 others like this.
    1. Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Sticker

MKW

Feb 2020
    Coastal SC
    ML Vanquish 540
    232 times
    You are, indeed, a good man. The return of that ring would be way more valuable to me than the value of the ring. Great job. The world needs more stories like this.
    WG2020, A2coins, Greastart and 3 others like this.

Sep 2005
    Puget Sound
    Equinox 800, Whites DFX
    12575 times
    Honorable Mention, let's go!! Very nice story. Thank you for sharing and your hard work to return lost items and help people out. You give our hobby a good name!
    A2coins and tnt-hunter like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Ohio
    CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
    380 times
    Metal Detecting
    tnt-hunter...great find and even better return, you can see how much the ring meant to her...you have my vote for Honorable Mention...you definitely represent what is best about our great hobby....Good luck with your hunts. Walt
    tnt-hunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil 3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1957 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    What a great story. Kudos to you on a great return! Banner find and honorable mention.
    A2coins and tnt-hunter like this.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

www.treasurecoastmetaldetecting.com

Ring Total - 2020 - 18 Gold - Total Rings 47

www.riverrockcamping.com

www.pureenergybikes.com

EQ8
    us
    Feb 2020
    Sw Wisconsin
    Equinox 800 Garrett Carrot
    354 times
    That's one happy lady there!
    Good job!
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    You don't stop playing because you get old..
    You get old because you stop playing

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
    1450 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    You are, indeed, a good man. The return of that ring would be way more valuable to me than the value of the ring. Great job. The world needs more stories like this.
    Indeed we do need many more....Honorable people who deserve an Honorable Mention! My vote is cast!

There is something in the face, eyes of the woman that reflects hardship and pain. I hope this brief moment of happiness grows for her.

Grease
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    An Ode
    To William Jefferson Clinton

He smoked but didn't inhale
    Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess
    A snail can't deny his own trail

MKW

Feb 2020
    Coastal SC
    ML Vanquish 540
    232 times
    I don't know how any of this stuff works, but this is definitely an Honorable Mention.
    tnt-hunter likes this.

us
    Jul 2018
    Buffalo,MN
    Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett Propointer 2
    2014 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well done! you stuck with it and found the owner, you make us all look good! Honorable Mention all the way!
    tnt-hunter likes this.

us
    Hunter

May 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter
    2235 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Honorable mention well done!
    tnt-hunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    15837 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very Nice!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!! I hope someone returns mine someday
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    AviTech Associate
    The Cygnus 1X

What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    4821 times
    Metal Detecting
    I can picture my mom as that woman. Dad died in 2011...a lonely widow that misses her husband. What a great thing to receive...a memento of your lost spouse. Kudos to you for the return. Good luck on your other ring returns. Gary
    tnt-hunter likes this.

us
    Feb 2020
    Eastern Ohio
    XP Deus * Minelab E-Trac
    616 times
    Metal Detecting
    A great story and some great PR for our hobby - job well done !
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    XP Deus * 9" LF & X35 Coils * Deteknix Headphones
    Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real * 1787 - Connecticut Copper
    1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    1131 times
    Such a great story and your perseverance is inspiring.
    She definitely looks like she is holding her husband close to her.
    Honorable mention all day long.
    tnt-hunter likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links