Using a long handle scoop in surf

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used
Garret Infinium/Fisher CZ7a
Hello All,

Could someone place a youtube link on correctly using a long handle scoop in the surf. I've gone out around 7 or so times with a 6" diameter scoop. It seems that it would be better to get on my hands and knees too fan items or find them by touch. With the scoop I just keep scooping and scooping and have actually lost an item or two. Please, help.

Ernie

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecastro.

What kind of unit are you detecting with? What is the width of your scoop?

Have you tried it on the beach with the pinpointing and digging first. I found when I first started that I was not scooping where my detector was pinpointing. I couldn't see the bottom to know exactly where it was.

I started marking the back of my coil with the toe of my shoe, I would then place the scoop at the end of my toe, back it up about 2 inches and start my dig there. I will also attack the target from different angles if I have trouble getting it.

I have also lost targets when scooping, I chased one for about 10 mins, it kept moving, it turned out to be a piece of aluminum foil that covers the top of some of the drink bottles floating on the sand on the bottom in chest deep water. I have also lost targets that fell through my scoop, they turned out to be the backs of earrings.

Daytona Beach this weekend, I hit a tone that started as a low chattering, I was about waist deep. I started digging and the signal got louder, but I couldn't find it, after a good 15 mins of trying, while fighting the surf, I kept digging deeper, till I was then in chest deep water. My hunting partner DR came over and we both attack the target. After about 5 mins of him and I digging, in the bottom of my scoop came up half a aluminum can, the other half was still in the hole. A good 20-25 mins trying to recover the darn thing ::) The whole time the target sounded solid, and it was in the bottom of my hole, but about 18" deep at least. GRRRRRRR.

OP
OP
ecastro111

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used
Garret Infinium/Fisher CZ7a
Hi Treasure Hunter,

Sorry I took so long to answer....it is 6" diameter scoop and the detector is an Infinium. The same thing happen to me with a beer can but it didn't make it into the scoop. I used my hands, luckily without cutting myself.

Its pretty much left to practice, practice, practice... ???

Ernie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions