hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on my last hunt of 2008, and after a morning of hiking, had a bad backache. But, still had one more prospective site to go to.
The mountain looked to be about a 60% angle mt (I was right), so I decided to take only a light pack, and leave the machine in the car.
Took about one hour to get to the hiking trail on the top, as I didn't find the trail down on the bottom, so had to make my own.
Got on top, went right - nothing there. So, reversed myself, walked back down the trail, and then.....there was the old tree. And, across the trail was the coin site. Looked like at least the top rocks and dirt were not frozen solid, and so I thought, "Wouldn't it be something if I could find a coin or two without my machine." Picked up the first rock, and there was a Japanese WWII era coin staring at me. I laughed, stuffed the coin in my pocket, thought something about dumb luck and moved a couple more rocks. Sifted through the dirt, and the coins began coming. I HAND-HUNTED for about 45 minutes....found one holed Chinese coin, 1736-1795 time frame, 10 Japanese coins, ranging in date from 1920's to 1944, and 5 Korean coins, the newest being 1980. Didn't move all the rocks I could have,
as it was getting late, and I had a mt. to walk down. A day or two later, all that area was hit by snow, and so that site will have to wait for me this spring. Next time, will take the machine with me. I did see that that area is going to produce some interesting finds......about 50 feet X 200 feet hunting area. Not all like the coin site where I found the 16 coins.....but a resting place for those who got up to the top of the mt. So, some great possiblilites......and I have to hunt the old tree, too.
Working on getting a camera that can download into my computer.....will add a picture of the finds to this post.

I DIG DIGGIN!!!!

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
What part of Japan are you in? I live up north in Misawa, I can't wait untill we get a break from the snow to go out.

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radu said:
What part of Japan are you in? I live up north in Misawa, I can't wait untill we get a break from the snow to go out.
Hey, Radu.....How are you? Are you in the military, or doing some teaching, or what?
I don't live in Japan. I live in S. Korea. When Japan was here, 1910-1945, they forced the Koreans to use their coins, plus a lot more. Anyway, in this one particular section of S. Korea I have been finding many many more Japanese coins in proportion to Korean and Chinese coins, then I have been finding in other parts. I have always found some, but never more than.....but in this area, it is more Japanese coins than Korean + Chinese......and that includes pre-1910 coins too.
Have you metal detected in Japan before? Where do you hunt? Do you have to get permission? Wow!!! I have been waiting for someone who has been going out in Japan, and then I will try to get over there to do some hunting. And, for sure, if you get a chance, come on over here, and we will hook up and I will show you Korean hunting.
Can't wait to hear from you.......I'm not the only THer in the Orient. Yes Yes Yes

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
My wife is military and I currently stay home. We just moved here this past fall so I haven't done any metal detecting yet. I hope to soon. I'm not sure of the "rules" yet but I am going to ask some of my Japanese friends. I have heard you only need permission from land owners but I don't know what the rules are on the beaches. I'm very excited to find out because I know some places that should be good hunting grounds.

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Radu, Sorry about not getting back with you...have been toooooooo busy for as old of a man as I am. :-\
Please keep me posted on what you find out about hunting in Japan. I would like to come across the waters a few times and go detecting with my son and grandson, before old age gets the best of me. If it is like Korea, the Japanese friends may not know anything about any rules, even if there are some. (We were challenged by a do-gooder Korean a couple of years ago, about digging up their historical artifacts.
So, we went to the local police, asked their help in finding out about rules......and it turned out that they have NO ZERO NADA rules on hunting for coins. Can't get within spitting distance of any officially designated historical site....but, just out in the woods....no problem.
Well, do your homework, and very very likely you will be rewarded handsomely for your studies.
Again, keep me posted, please.
I am going out tomorrow - my wife now is ready to certify me as legally insane.....had an MRI done on my lower back today.....been in tremendous pain. But, I'll bear the pain, for a chance to dig a few more coins and hike a few more hills. :thumbsup:

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
Good luck on your dig. I will let you know what I find out. I have a friend that works in city hall here, she said she will look into any laws. I have bookmarked this thread so it's easier for me to check and reply. My 6 year old son wants me to buy him a metal detector, I might just get him one since the prices have dropped. I use a Whites Classic 5 ID, not sure what to guy a six year old. I will look at Kellyco as they tend to have great deals. What do you use?

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radu said:
Good luck on your dig. I will let you know what I find out. I have a friend that works in city hall here, she said she will look into any laws. I have bookmarked this thread so it's easier for me to check and reply. My 6 year old son wants me to buy him a metal detector, I might just get him one since the prices have dropped. I use a Whites Classic 5 ID, not sure what to guy a six year old. I will look at Kellyco as they tend to have great deals. What do you use?
Hey. After the dig. Didn't find any holed Japanese coins today, but did find several in the 1915-1938 range. Did find one holed Chinese coins, early early 1900's. And found 10 holed Korean coins, dating from 1670's to 1830's. Went looking for a new site, and did I ever find one. And it was great to get out for the first time this year.
Please, let me know what your city hall friend has to say. That would be interesting to me, and useful info to my son and grandson.
Watched a first tonight on the news. A Korean man and his wife, on one of the beaches here in S. Korea, with a metal detector. Then, into his home, and with him to the bank as he cashed in a shoulder bag full of common coins.....but, it did show some jewelry, and some of the older holed coins.
Bought the detector in the States. Wonder if it will catch on.

Kellyco is the outfit I would recommend. I have never received a bad machine from them, or had bad service. And I've been buying from them for about 30 years. I have a Cobra II that I hunt with. I have had a Whites and a Garrett, and a Wilson-Neuman Daytona Ranger. Actually liked the Ranger the best of all.
I have bought one of the newest that Kellyco has had to offer......the Sovereign. Tried it out in the States, and was not happy. So, because my Cobra II is still working, I just leave the new one sit. Probably a mistake, as I should take the time to learn the new machine.
Well, let me know what you find out, please. And, QUICK AND GOOD HUNTING. William

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
I will pass on info as I get it. I will be gone for about a week and a half, so don't fret if you don't hear from me in that time.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radu said:
I live up north in Misawa
Radu, where exactly is Misawa? Is that just south of Hokkiado? My wife grew up in Hokkiado, the way she describes it is like Idaho.

Then her parents moved to Kofu (yamanashi prefecture) She is out there now visiting her dad. Spring is trying to start. I have an XLT and will probably bring it the next time I visit. It has been several years.

Our teen daughter and I are staying home this time (southern CA). We were watching Japanese TV last night. (Fujisankei) One program was all "girl bands" it was really funny listening to Japanese Rap :wink: They even tried to flash a few gang signs. :icon_scratch:

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
Hello again gentlemen. Sorry it has been so long but when the snow melted I became very busy. Anyway, I did find out about metal detecting laws in Japan, there are no metal detecting laws here. There are other laws like, trespassing, and not removing anything from national parks or lands. All that being said, I was told to carry on until someone asked me to stop or leave and I should be OK. I pretty much keep to beaches and nonpopulate areas so I rarely see any other people anyway.

Misawa is just south of Hokkaido. We are on the Pacific ocean side of Japan at the bottom of Aomori prefecture. This place is great because unlike farther south it is very rural and lots of beaches. I haven't gotten to do much detecting because it is beachcombing season and I collect glass fishing floats. Did find some great ones so far.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a good hunt, the hardest part is findng out if any of those coins have a decent value :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spartacus, Good to hear from you. The Japanese have several nice coin books, listing all their coins, giving each series a number, great detailed pictures, etc. The holed coins are the worst, as they pretty much all look the same to me.....but, I'm a collector of Korean coins, and a "when I find one, I try to i.d. it" guy when it comes to Japanese coins. So, it is tough for me to understand what the differences are. And, of course, the book is in Japanese. My son has just completed a two-year course in Japanese in Tokyo, and so on my next trip there, I am taking the book, and going to ask him what are some of the subtulties of the coins.....see if he can decipher them for me.
Since this hunt on this thread, I have went on several others.....found many nice Japanese coin. Found a breath-taking 2-mun holed coin, the king of the 2-mun coins. About $500. or so worth of coin. And at that site, we also found more Japanese coins then Korean coins....a first for us. And this last week, my hunting partner found 8 Japanese coins, 3 of which were in unusually nice shape. And about 2 months ago I found my first Japanese iron holed coin.....and shortly after found two others.....must travel in packs. :dontknow:
Should download another camera full of Korean hikes and coin-finding excursions. Already have two, about 2 and 3 months old.

Scrappy1

Sep 9, 2013
I found these coins and also this app for my iPhone today. Yes it was a pretty good day. Does anybody have have experience to share with me on these old coins? I'm thinking Japanese?

image-1399706531.jpg

image-1399706531.jpg

Attachments

• image-438026230.jpg
    image-438026230.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 208

Sengoku

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2015
JAPAN
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are Chinese coins, did you dig them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread