First TNet Post!

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi! I really love treasure hunting, just haven't used my detector yet. I found a 10K ring in the gravel by the pool fence line yesterday, and found the necklace two weeks ago on the side of the road. The necklace is 14K and using a homemade scale, weighs about 21 grams! A nice find to fund my fiance's wedding ring! ;D

Attachments

• DSCN4928.JPG
    DSCN4928.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCN4900b.jpg
    DSCN4900b.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 739

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! if you found that without the detector, what are you gonna find with it? & yes welcome!

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I suspect fake on that necklace. Does it feel absurdly heavy? if it doesnt then i isnt gold. also, check it with a magnet, and with that large find, i would even buy an acid test kit to check...

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah I fear that as well. But I am hopeful, the only marking is "14K Italy" and it feels as heavy as lead. I'll keep up the posts as I figure it out, I really wanna send it to MidWest Refineries sometime. Thanks for the tips!! :wink:

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Saaaaad faaaaace. Got it acid tested at Bailey's- FAKE. It was plated copper. :( Cool experience though, I got to learn some cool stuff! Thanks guys!

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
FriscoT06 said:
Saaaaad faaaaace. Got it acid tested at Bailey's- FAKE. It was plated copper. :( Cool experience though, I got to learn some cool stuff! Thanks guys!

awhhee. sorry to hear its a fake. :-\ maybe next time though :)

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FriscoT06 said:

Finding fakes are part of looking for the real stuff.... So far, in the last 2 years, I've found four pieces of jewelry clearly stamped "14kt", but tested as "not gold"..... The last fake started out looking like it had spray net on it and had pulled up some of the jewelry box's red lining. Costing me a whole .25 cents, it looked like 3/4 carat diamond in a gold ring stamped "14kt Zales"..... I took it to two places and both told me the same thing....

We've will be married 40 years in August, and I so wanted to find a bigger diamond than I gave her back then.....But there's more out there....Keep checking out garage sales by going as early as you can. Then, purposely ask at the garage sale if they have any jewelry. It'll feel odd at first, but you can ask nicely and you'll get used to it.... Last summer, twice, they forgot to put it out and I was the first to go through it. :hello2: Plus, two of my best garage sale finds were not in the newspaper ads, but by following signs posted as we were going between other listed garage sales..... Truly, "I couldn't believe my eyes" when I found them and when I got them home to really look at them!!

I've found 20 times more Silver and Gold, I've walked up on just in the past two years at garage sales, than I've found in 10 years with my Minelab detector....but I'll never quit using it, either. Treasure comes in all forms.

Now Hang in there, Fakes are just Speed Bumps, you'll get your wedding ring fund filled if you'll go... :icon_thumleft: Here's the fake ring pics:

Attachments

• P1020117 (Small).JPG
    P1020117 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 449
  • P1020107 (Medium).JPG
    P1020107 (Medium).JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 443
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow that is some very cool information, and valuable! Thanks for the tips and wishes! I hope ya hit the big one this week! ;D

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Welcome to the obsession!

Sorry about the chain not making 14k too.

You really need to get your detector out! Looking on the ground will find some treasure, but you will discover between 4 and 40 times as much by using a detector. The neat thing about eyeballing treasure is that it teaches your brain where treasure is/has been found. These are very important for your future success.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions