1920s Leg Hold Furbearer Trap
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By old digger
  • 1 Post By TheWildYam

Thread: 1920s Leg Hold Furbearer Trap

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2015
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

1920's Leg Hold Furbearer Trap

Went for a hike and found this old trap at the bottom of a cliff near some water! We saw only a small bit of wire attached to a tree. The wire then plunged into the ground. We began digging and this is what we found!

https://youtu.be/3q1NucAT6x8

Old trap references:
    Oneida Traps: From Religious Commune to Biggest Trap Company in World | Trapper Predator Caller
    VINTAGE ANIMAL TRAPS

~thewildyam

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5717 times
    That is really neat. How deep was it? BTW I like your cabin in the woods too. Welcome to the party place. Have fun and Happy Hunting.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Nov 2015
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingskid1611 View Post
    How deep was it?
    . It was about 6" down with a large cedar root grown over top of it holding it down. Smaller roots were going through the chain links.

~thewildyam

~Texana Curator~

Sep 2012
    TX Hill Country
    Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
    1016 times
    Relic Hunting
    I find a few of the Victor traps a year here on the ranch... my kin last used them in the '20s. About 80% of the ones I find are #2's with the Oneida-Victor pans. I get extra excited when they still have the anchor ring on the chain and the swivel ain't bent - luckily that's most of them.

I run them through electrolysis and then brush 'em down with Johnson's paste wax.
    I've been considering enamel-filling the text stampings as a quick and easy rainy day project.

Here was the most recent one I found, with some other assorted ranch relics and the backstory:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sh....php?p=4600857

I like to hang the Victor traps down the sides of my bookcases with really nice square nails that have been treated as mentioned above.

Nice find!

~Tejaas~
    Last edited by Tejaas; Nov 06, 2015 at 12:29 AM.
    You Ain't Done Wild And Reckless, Till You've Done It In Texas!

Nov 2015
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejaas View Post
    Johnson's paste wax
    Where can I find this? Thanks for sharing your ranch relics! Very cool.

~thewildyam

~Texana Curator~

Sep 2012
    TX Hill Country
    Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
    1016 times
    Relic Hunting
    Any furniture refinishing shop will have it, or any hardware/DIY center... Even the crappy ones like Lowes & Home Depot.

~Tejaas~
    You Ain't Done Wild And Reckless, Till You've Done It In Texas!

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    6106 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Welcome to TNET!

I used to use that type and size of trap twenty/thirty years ago. I never had any trouble catching my fair share of coyotes and bobcats with them. Sounds like someone forgot to go back and check his traps, or his set washed away down stream. Looks like it may still be useable, but if you decide to try trapping with it make sure the spring still retains it's strength against the jaws.
    Tejaas likes this.

Nov 2015
    1 times
    Tejaas: Thanks! Will pick some up tomorrow. Maybe one day I'll do a video of its restoration.

~thewildyam
    Tejaas likes this.

Nov 2015
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    Sounds like someone forgot to go back and check his traps, or his set washed away down stream. Looks like it may still be useable, but if you decide to try trapping with it make sure the spring still retains it's strength against the jaws.
    I think it fell down the cliff face attached to the tree and was forgotten. Can't trap in these parts of Ontario, that's why I think it is fairly old. Also soft catch traps are more humane nowadays. This one will be preserved and hung up on my cabin walls as decor.

~thewildyam

Sponsored Links