Anyone an airline pilot? Got a question....

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone an airline pilot? What would cause a commercial airplane to dip vertical in flight?
Last night, I was on an flight to Florida. About half-way into the flight, the jumbo commercial airplane (American Airlines) jerked a sharp 30-45 degree wing / side dip on the right side. IMO, if we flipped a little more, we would have flipped upside down! The pilot quickly snapped it back but everyone was freaking out. We never got a reason for it. The pilot and staff said nothing. All of the passengers were frozen silent - in shock.
I'm still wondering what could have caused the plane to do this? Perhaps the pilot fell asleep? Very scary!! Any guesses?

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Cockpit error? A crew member may have fat fingered the auto pilot settings or a mistake could have occurred if control of the aircraft was switched from pilot to co-pilot or vice versa.

Based on the crews silence, my money is on cockpit error.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time I have had this happen was when the pilot was not low enough in altitude in his landing approach. He dove nearly straight down several hundred feet so he didn't have to loop back around the airport for another attempt. Also silence on the intercom.... Funny enough it also on a flight to florida.

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good suggestion. I also wondered if the pilot spilled his coffee and bumped the wheel.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No apology over the intercom? Sounds like a cover-up to me.

CAT clear air turbulence can be bad. Stormy weather can cause turbulence all over the place. Probably thought nothing of it.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didn't charge ya extra lol

Top Member Reactions