Thanksgiving... Best Weekend In a Long Time

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Got out this weekend with Twistidd and TreasureFiend to a few local spots for what may be and end of the season hunt. We worked our butts off in the woods and fields for the few coins worth mentioning.

Twistidd got his first Indian head cent and it was a beauty. TreasureFiend ended up with a couple more
nice Buffaloes to add to his collection, and I found two Mercs.

They were busy on Saturday, but it was too nice for staying indoors so I headed out for a short hunt. After working in the woods for a few hours, all I had to show for it was a few clad coins, memorials and zincolns.

I was beat from crawling over blowdowns and under branches so I decided to hit the fields for a little while and then head home. The site had some potential for some older coins, but it had been worked to death so I didn't expect too much.

After an hour or so of digging mostly pulltabs, bottle caps and around 2.00 in clad I said one more coin and I'm going home. Swinging the detector on my way back to the car I got a hit that sure sounded like silver.
so I expected a Rosie but hoped for a Merc.

I dug a nice 6" deep plug and flipped it out of the hole and did a quick scan. Still in the plug, I broke about 1" off of the bottom and saw the reeded edge of a 1913 Barber dime. That got me all fired up again. No way I'm going home now so I began a nice slow search pattern between all of the junk, and there was plenty of it.

Ten minutes later I got a nice solid repeatable signal that nulled completely when I switched to discriminate mode. That's still an iffy signal, but one worth digging. I cut another plug and scanned it. I cracked the plug in half and saw the glint of gold and got excited, but thought it might end up being junk. It's the real deal I think. It has "Gold - 750" embossed on the back, but I've never seen it displayed that way before. Maybe from Europe? It's slightly larger than a quarter in size. I don't have a scale yet, but that's one of the next items on my list.

I tried for around 45 minutes more and found some more clad, but the junk signals were starting to get to me. I've never heard so many bad signals in one small area before, but it drove me nuts. I said one more coin to myself again, but after 2 more minutes of that torture I said screw this and left.

I know there's got to be more good targets out there. With all those pulltabs there's got to be a ton of nickels
and gold jewelry. Next time I get the chance to hit it, it will be with a 3" or 5" coil, and I think those might even be too large, lol.

I don't know if it's an error, worn, or a clogged die, but the T Y in liberty and 20 are just about gone for some reason, but the edge is perfect. Any ideas?

Is it Spring Yet?
Mike
mercs.jpg

gold.jpg

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt bud - congrats!!! That 750 means 18k!!! Sweet silver too!!!!
That field is super trashy and all I seem to find ther is lots of clad and garbage...
Man I wish I could of hunted on Sat but I had to help my uncle all day.

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
It was too quiet on Saturday without you guys there. I was gonna quit a bunch of times but you
know how that goes. One decent find and you'll tack on another hour or two.

Mike

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I bought a cheap $10 digital scale on ebay, check it out, I'm sure glad I got it.
Just make sure it has grams and ounces.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Mike!! Sweet Barber & gold :thumbsup:

I really hope there are a few hunts left for us in December :-\

Take care,
watercolor

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I hope we get a chance to all get together for a mini hunt before it all freezes over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread