It Was Worth A Dime...

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I met TreasureFiend and Twistidd to hit a new area of the camp this morning, and after a few hours of hunting, Joe was the only one who had anything to show for it. So, we decided to go to plan B.

As we were just about to leave and hit the next spot, a guy named Mark was walking to his van. We started talking with him and did he have some stories about the area and some of the great finds from there.

I wish there was a video of that conversation to capture the three poker faces staring at him, but as soon as he looked away it was a different story. Wide eyes, raised twitching eyebrows, you get the idea. As soon as he left, it was three guys talking and babbling on at once!

To make a long story short, we picked one of the spots he told us about and spent the next few hours digging pulltabs, shotgun shells, and tin foil. Nothing really exciting, but I think we just didn't find the right spot.

We were pretty well spread out in the woods and I came across one little flat area that looked like a good spot to picnic. After just a few sweeps of the coil I found an old spoon that had been in the ground a long time. Great! I knew someone had picnicked in the area so I slowed down my sweeps and within 10 feet I got a nice repeatable signal, which I hadn't heard all day.

I cut a nice 6" plug and flipped it out of the hole, and scanned it. Yep, it was in the plug. An 1899 Barber dime turned out to be no more than 3" deep, and did it look beautiful in that pitch black dirt.

Attachments

• 1899.jpg
    1899.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 306

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - Poker faces was right!!!! ;D
Man I'm glad you found some old silver!!! We should go back and stay in a group and try to find a hot spot instead of what we did today (splitup and wandered aimlessly). That place is just too big to just wander. :thumbsup:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice looking Barber Dime. Stay warm up there. :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Did Mark tell you about his $1k cache?

Nice dime!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, big congrats on that Barber :thumbsup: What a great way to end the weekend!

Take care,
watercolor

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Thanks guys.
It was sure a nice feeling seeing silver in the plug instead of a shotgun shell. I'm sure glad we got out yesterday after the way this morning turned out. It's freezing out there!

That guy Mark must get around because a lot of people either know him or know of him. He didn't tell us the cache story Tim, but I bet it's a good one.

Has anyone gone up to Round Lake for their club meetings? I was thinking about it just to get an earfull from him.

Keep Warm!
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I belonged to that club for about a year and a half. Some very good hunters there who have a great knowledge base. Their group hunts took place in all the FP's most of the Des Plaines area FP hunters around here go to including the scout camp. I always suggest newbies give a club a try for at least a year to learn some of the do's and don'ts.

I just find the club scene held back my own hunting after awhile. That and I have a bit more individual and independent mindset and try to avoid group-think. I think Mark is the President there this year.

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Hey, we could form an informal club of our own. No dues or nothing, but a monthly meeting at some local area watering hole and swap stories and just shoot the s#!t. We would go to a different members area bar each month and the local member would pick the place. So for example, we'd go to suburban bar next month and either Mark or Neil pick the spot. The next month we're in Elgin, and Tim hooks us up, and so on.

Okay, that settles it..... I'm ordering the jackets! ;D

Kermit, you're right. Next time we hit that place we'll be better prepared and then we'll all go in different directions ;D kidding. I want to find out as much as I can about all of those different areas and have the coordinates plugged into the GPS. It'll keep me out of trouble over the winter, that is, unless we start that club.

Stay Warm Guys!
Mike

PS. Camb1 and Crazyjarhead... You guys are more than welcome to hunt with us any time your in town.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I try not to go anywhere en masse unless Goio and Bomber are cooking! It's a new strategy I developed late this year. That way even if I get skunked I get fed. I'm all about informal and in wintertime there should be more time available to hook up and play treasure hunter.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Mike (Barber) Waz,

As I said before, that's a great find. Definitely worth the treacherous walk up and down the ice slide-I mean path! It actually made my day that you found it, just knowing there's still stuff there to be found that hasn't been picked up by the many group hunts that have occured in those parts. Plus, you've more than earned that dime! Now's the time for thge research- let's find some other juicy spots that we can try out next season (or if we're lucky, during a nice break this winter). The '99 Barber is a sign of things to come for the next season methinks. Congratulations, again!

Joe

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Lowbatts said:
Did Mark tell you about his $1k cache?

Nice dime!

I heard it was $10k in old bills worth 5 times as much as collectables... from Mark. The 3 jars in frozen ground with a Whites detector, right? Correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep, it was $10k at one of his work sites. You cannot be surprised by anything he finds with his record.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the way its always been mike, no fees for our "non-club"just a group of knuckle heads that like to get dirty,i've been thinking about organizing something somewhere for everyone to get together to keep the winter blues away.its just ruff for the guys (us or them)to take that long drive during the monsoons of december and january

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
With the weather we've got ahead of us for the next few days, it's finally sinking in..... Winter. Hopefully we'll get a break in Jan or Feb to have a get together for some pizza, wings and beers. Or take over a bowling alley for an afternoon. "Grab your balls.....we're going bowling"!
Mike

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bowling? not a bad idea :thumbsup: pizza,beer,beer,beer,beer,beer and maybe a lot more beer oh yeah,some bowling and i need a large for my jacket

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Mark's cache, Bomber's beer plan ...
Where were we?!?
Oh yeah It was worth the dime! Here's to the sledding hill bonanza come next week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread