10x14 eq2 coil on my ace250

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
And how does that compare to the stock 6.5 x 9 elliptical?

I would try a trash density test as well, placing several targets next to each other like pull tabs and dimes or iron and dimes and see how close you can put them with each coil and still get a good tone.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Brett took the words right out of my mouth...actually getting out with the detector in the field is a lot different than waving coins past the coil on a bench. Let us know how it performs in a trashy area, especially in regards to its separation abilities.

Joe

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
Couple of things ....

I haven't tested them side by side as of yet (probably won't get a chance to until the weekend)

It feels pretty darn heavy.. Wonder how it will be to swing

I have a picture showing the coils side by side that I'll be posting once I get to work this morning

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suppose to be nice toward the weekend. . . have a great hunt!

watercolor

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
pics

Attachments

• coils.gif
    coils.gif
    127 KB · Views: 428
  • coils2.gif
    coils2.gif
    131.5 KB · Views: 441

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Whoa baby! That's a big un! Hard to believe it only grabs a dime at 9". I wonder if TreasureFiend can report how the 9 x 12 elliptical coil compares on an air tested dime?

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
well i only had a few seconds to test as my girlfriend and i were doing dinner AND i should mention my test coins were all clad... penny ... nickel ... quarter fwiw

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
oh yeah.. almost forgot to mention this part

when i first plugged the coil in my detector was going crazy... i called kellyco and they informed me it was b/c i was indoors and to turn the sensitivity down while indoors

so i bumped the sensivitiy down 2 bars to make it stop freaking out (which also could have effected the distance)

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
rdb7 said:
oh yeah.. almost forgot to mention this part

when i first plugged the coil in my detector was going crazy... i called kellyco and they informed me it was b/c i was indoors and to turn the sensitivity down while indoors

so i bumped the sensivitiy down 2 bars to make it stop freaking out (which also could have effected the distance)

Oh, you were indoors? Uht oh. You gotta get outside and try it... the EMI from all of the electronics in your house will seriously make your detector nuts. Unless you can turn off your mains for 10 minutes in the daytime, I would take it outside and try it again. There is hope yet ;D Now when I had my ACE 250, I would hunt mostly 2 bars below max, but my Dad would max it out all the time. He claimed more depth, and I'm sure it works but I remember it also falsing a lot more. I'm thinking at max sensitivity and being outside, you should get at least 11". I'd also like to know if it falses a lot at max sensitivity when hunting a park. Maybe it would still be good to compare an air test outside at max sense and also at 2 bars shy of max. Hope it works well!

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
yeah i'll compare and test it more this weekend... won't have time to during the week

my sensitivity was 2 bars below my normal setting.. so i think 4 bars below max when i tested

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
rain and cold all weekend here... haven't even been able to try mine out yet...........

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
i kept thinking it had stopped .... until i'd go out on my balcony >:(

going as low as 9 degrees one night this week... hope the ground doesn't refreeze everywhere

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HUMN ...I like it... A dime at 9 inches. INSIDE. I gotta see this one outside. Just by the looks of that monster it should pull the coins from real deep. Somebody test the differece between the 9X12 Garrett coil and the Excelerator. I am looking at buying one of them. Haven't decided yet. Want to see some more real world tests. It does look nice on the machine for sure. :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Rdb7, if you get a chance, I'd like to know what the combined weight of the ACE 250 with batteries and coil is. That would be good info ;)

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Brett i would but....... i don't own a scale lol

next time i'm at my parents i'll weigh them for ya

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread