Savannah Il

aunttrbl

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008
Oak Lawn Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Hello all. Will be going to Savannah this weekend for my b-day with a few friends. Does anybody know of any good place to m.d. there? Is Palisades Park off limits and what about the Bluff cabins? I think Palisades park is a state park but not sure and if it is what are the chances of getting in trbl. if caught? ???

Any body ever been to that area if so any suggestions for a good time besides Iron horse and poopy's? Any inside scoop other than whats on the internet would be appreciated.

STOP laughing!!! You know I am a girl so not so up on the rules. Hence the screen name. >:D

Happy Hunting :icon_pirat:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hunted Savanna and Hanover, they have some good old ground right in town that'll do the trick. Wanted to hunt that old steel trestle bridge that comes out of the north side of the eagle sanctuary, looks like a good possible crossroads site of days gone by. Last time we drove over it one of the planks gave way, WAY to theatrical, our dramatics on that one.

Those old small houses (cabins) north of Savanna on 84 fairly scream of late night outdoor card parties of the past. Hit 'em if you can!

Rail yards are all too recent to investigate, and I think Uncle Sam has an interest in them anyway. If the Pallisades are off limits and they may be, weren't the last time I was there, you'll still need a permit from the office. If they do not allow it, ask them if you can hunt some of the DNR sites thereabouts, these typically contain old homesteads and they can write you permits for them.

God Luck and go get 'em AND Happy Birthday!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I grew up in that area. Although I have not been metal detecting there since I was a kid there are several potential spots. Pallisades should be OK but as Lowbatts said make sure you check at the ranger station first. Don't want to be fined and lose your detector. Another alternative is Old Mill Park which is on the east side of town. As you come into town on route 64 it will be on the right hand side It has been a city park since like 1916. Will be lots of trash there but I have found older coins there.

There is a field just east of town that use to be a site of carnivals in the 1920s to 1950s. It use to produce coins as early as Barbers, IHs and V nickels. It is private property and I no longer know who owns it.

The best potential place is the abandoned old army depot but it is totally off limits. There are still the foundations of barracks and buildings there and the base dates back to at least the 1920s.

Have dinner at Manny's Pizza

OP
OP
aunttrbl

aunttrbl

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008
Oak Lawn Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Thanks!!! Always have the pizza,Poopy's and Iron Horse are staples when we go there. Not sure if we will be hunting afterall.. g.f. threw her hip out and can barely walk. We might just have a fire and drink a lot. There is always next time, we visit there on the bikes in the summer. THANKS for the info I am printing it and bringing it with just in case.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.
Lynn

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Really couldn't tell from the screen name, after all it could be an abbreviated Aunt Trouble or Aunt Tribal or even a Trekikie cryptically describing their favorite episode, The Trouble with Tribbles or a mis-spelled variant of Ant Trouble in which case I'd call the Orkin Army and send them your way!

Have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread