Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Left with skeeter nipples everywhere.

Skeeters 1, Mayo and 'batts 0

That's it for me and the woods, I mean it this time.

Well maybe they're not in the woods over by....

So we retired to a quiet park setting in Elgin and piqued the interest of some vagabonds where canslaw and clad ruled, until I sat down and fell asleep.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea its really bad out there!!!! >:(

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Vagabonds.jpg ;D

Man, I hate it when they just keep swarming your face. Makes me want to carry a can of Raid along with my Off!, too!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT HUNTING IN THE WOODS TILL OCTOBER!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
mnlineman said:
I bought the hood and shirt, while not a hundred percent protection it works well enough for me to stay in the woods a few hours. Mosquitoes and deer flies are hellish where I live too. http://www.muckbootsonline.com/BuzzOff_Clothing_s/26.htm

Thanks for posting this link! I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I'm guessing you'd want to wear earbuds with the hood, instead of over the ear headphones. I've been wanting to rig up a right-ear-only earbud. The kind that loop over your ears... and that would work perfect with this hood. Wish the jacket was cheaper, but I think that hood is getting ordered... like NOW.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's terrible where I'm at too. I usually go out with with the OFF on and a few fabric softner sheets stuffed in my pockets. Still doesn't work alot of the times. HH
John

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Montana Fireball said:
Love the photo of those Illinois park bums!

What bums?
That's a couple of us taking a break from the furious clad action.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer about those 'skeeters. . . they can spoil a nice walk in the woods pretty quick.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's just say the mosquitoes were so heavy at one point I inhaled a bunch of them, sneezed, and they flew back out through my ears. I have six good bites on my right hand, most near knuckles of course.
I can't count how many are on my shoulders and shoulder blades - I just stand in doorways and scratch them against the door casing.

It was otherwise a promising site though. I managed to wake a sleeping deer, found 4 bullets and one shotgun shell, and almost no modern garbage to speak of.

Park number two was no problem with the mozzies (that's Australian for mosquitos) but it was mostly can salad surgery for me. This week we may take another gander at Goose Poo Flats.

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Sorry you guys lost this weekend. I'm with you Tim. We tried the woods a few weeks ago and it was just insane the amount of them.

@Mayo - I have inhaled mosquitos before, but one got stuck in the back of my throat. I was gagging trying to unlodge it but it wouldn't budge. What's worse is I had no water to wash it down. I was finally able to swallow it and clear my throat. Mmmmm. And a good source of protein!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Have you guys tried eating something with lots of garlic the night before you go hunting. I love garlic toast and I'll eat a couple pieces the night before I go fishing or detecting and it seems to help a lot.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey Charlie, I use Cutters so they stay off me, but they are really so thick this year that they become a walking snack factor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread