A find worth SAVING!

E

elle

I went down to the beach to do my underwater metal detecting. On the way back to the car, I spotted my greatest find for the day.
The heavy storms and winds during the night must have blown this little rascal out of his hiding place. He tried to walk to me but I noticed one of the wings was injured.
I just got home from the Wildlife Rescue Center and they told me there is a great chance this dove will be successfully nursed back to health!
I just thought I'd share this happy ending with everyone because sometimes it is not the coins that are important, but the other things that make metal detecting so rewarding and enjoyable.
For all the detectorists out there...if you see an animal in need...please take the time to drop the little one off at your nearest Rescue Center...
or call me and I will come, ok?

Thanks everyone!
Laura

Picture.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Very nice find indeed!

We've done a ton of animal rescues over the years and have successfully raised at least one of almost every wild critter around these parts. Had a couple robins that came back every year and would join us at the picnic table in the yard w/o hesitation.

Gets a bit too much when you've got 150 small birds and a few bigger critters in the mix though and we just got away from it after awhile.

OP
OP
E

elle

Lowbatts...I'm going to give you the nickname of St. Francis!
Thank you for your commitment in helping nature's critters!

A couple years ago, I went down to dig my hole while metal detecting and under the leaves was a hibernating BAT.
It was that mild year...if anyone can remember...and I was detecting two days before New Year's.
Need I say more...I did not dig up that target!

Laura

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice job!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_queen:

PM me with the place you took it. I boxed up an injured dove (wing issue) a few years ago and took it to a place in the hopes they would rehabilitate it. I got the impression they weren't too happy about getting it and intimated over the phone that it might end up as food for their other critters. :-\

I drove down there and gave it to them anyway. I figured I had to have faith that they would do the right thing, even though it seemed that they were discouraging my intervention.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
This morning the race was on. Forming crews behind me, I tore into the sidewalk work and got five wheaties, multi-clad, a couple harmonicas and that was just the first half-block, before I got to the nice dirt, the promised ground ahead. Boss T of the crew asked me to move the Lowbatts cruiser and I obliged. I'd gotten a half dozen IH's and 2 times that wheaties on the other side of the street. Mayo got that seated qtr across the street, I was in the zone and on my own!

Reparking and returning I was ready for the goodies to pour into my pouch as I stepped back into the path of the promised ground. Then I saw it, a newborn baby squirrel on the edge of the sidewalk cut, umbilical cord still clinging to his peachy tummy. Figuring him for dead, I picked him up to dispose of him with a deep six under the cut and he moved and squeaked. Arggh! Dilemna! (Don't get semantic on me, I abhor "dilemmas")

So for the next two minutes I figured I'd detect with one hand and hold the tyke with the other, but he was cold so I breathed on him gently and that drove his little paws open and he grasped and obviously expected food.

So much for the race. A new race was on. An hour later we were on our way to Elburn where he had an incubator and caretaker waiting. He was vital and lively when we left there and we were told his prognosis was good.

As for the promised ground and that race. The hive of formers had formed and the trucks were pouring when we drove back by the site. See ya in 25 or 30 years, silver dimes, IH's and of course a gold thing or two.

As an aside, the little fella imprinted on me almost immediately. Even wrapped in cloth, he sceamed murder when I handed him over to Lil' Lowbatts for the ride. Calmed down instantly when I took him back. He relaxed when I breathed on him to warm him. When the kid did it, screaming ensued.

Priorities? Who needs 'em?

Thanks in advance Elle for letting me vent on this thread!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Elle - nice lookin dove! How did you do with the beach finds?

Lowbatts of Asisi - since you didn't get to hit the promised ground, I recommend every winter we pour copious amounts of salt all over those new sidewalks in hopes that they will need replacing in just a couple years. Or we could just rent a jackhammer and a big honkin compressor and pretend like we're with the construction company. We can just say it accidently got poured only 3 inches deep and regulations state it must be 4 inches. Then again, this sounds like a lot of work. Let's hit somewhere else.

OP
OP
E

elle

OMG...Lowbatts...your story!
I was so busy yesterday with my research I didn't even check the Illinois thread.
What a story...I nominate your squirrel find as a banner treasure.
Don't worry you'll get repaid one day with tons of treasure because good deeds don't go unaccounted for!
As a matter of fact...the next time the Illinois gang meets up for a hunt....I'm baking you and your family a cake in appreciation.

Mayo...not too much on the beachfront but in regards to the sidewalks...LOL...how many treasure hunters have thought about this...
everytime I see cobblestoned streets in the historic neighborhoods...I keep thinking it would be heaven if I was able one day to sit down with a hand shovel, take each cobblestone out, a swoop my metal detector over the hole.
How many coins in between the crevices?
So to answer the thread where one would go metal detecting if money was not an object...LOL...I would buy old cobblestoned streets for repaving with new bricks....as long as I could come first to dig up the old stones!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread