Broke silver drought with close to 1 Troy OZ

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
So I've really been feeling the silver drought. My last silver coin was 8/13; however my last silver was this ring (did not post it then) on 8/25. It was a Sterling Silver Boy Scouts ring (size 6) between 6-7 grams.
ringA.JPG
ringB.JPG

In between I had a lot of frustrations. Deep memorial cents, some wheats, getting cut on canslaw. Perhaps the worst was a creep approaching me in a grove (I am sure he's probably on a certain national registry) while I was detecting. I had some really odd finds also, like this Shuriken (missing a blade though) ... too bad I didn't have it with me for the creep.
Shuriken.JPG

Today I hit a grove that was old, but someone had already hunted recently there -- and did an ugly job on plugs (and also left pull tabs right on top of their covered holes). There wasn't even clad to be found. The only questionable signal was a cannabis bracelet charm. I went into the woods and then found this Sterling silver fork.

spoonA.JPG
spoonb.JPG

It weighs 30 grams -- just a nick off a troy ounce. Still, it is not a coin, so it does still feel like I'm in the drought. Definitely better than a silver Roosevelt. But here's Hoping to find some silver (coins!) soon.

HH,
Jon

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Too bad about the creep and the creep leaving crappy plugs & trash.

That fork is a great find, though!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll take that over a couple of Mercs any day!

I didn't know they made collapsible throwing "stars".

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Used to dig those shurikens all the time after they came and went in popularity and people realized throwing rocks and bottles was cheaper and arguably more effective. Never dug one that fancy for sure!

Was Ronald Scott the desinger or user of that fork? Looks very nice!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lowbatts said:
Was Ronald Scott the desinger or user of that fork? Looks very nice!

I'm guessing it was the user as just the first name was on the front of the fork and full name on the back. Strikes me as slightly odd, but perhaps that was a generational thing. Perhaps if I could figure out when having user name on silverware was in vogue, I could get an idea of the age of the fork.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Great finds! Man, I love that fork. I am still waiting on my sterling utensil (not plated copper); a few people here have found some recently and I am hoping for one myself sometime.

I've got to say it's quite ironic to see the throwing star backed by what appears to be Biblical scripture. I like the contrast!

I count any silver as silver when attempting to end a drought. Earlier this year I found a miniscule sterling heart pendant that could fit on a half-dime with a lot of coin showing. I counted it.

Joe

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
I've never seen a silversmiths name or mark on the top side. Really nice finds! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread