Not even winter and here come the rants... OK, heres mine!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Not even winter and here come the rants... OK, here's mine!

If some people can tell how cold a winter is going to be by how many nuts the squirrels are burying, then judging by the rants, it's going to be a long one! Or not... :tongue3:

Well, here's mine: It's the non-posters out there. There seems to be a growing number of people who don't or won't post their finds here on the forum. I thought this was supposed to be a place where we came to share our experiences and our treasures with all the other hunters in the area. I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy seeing what everyone else finds and hearing the stories of what they went through to find it. Each of us has our own personality and style out there, and while we don't get a chance to see everyone regularly, this forum lets us "spend time" with each other and make that connection on line.

I belong to a group on line that recycles things by giving them away. You post something as available if it is still useable, and other people respond if they want it. You can also post a "wanted" ad for something you're looking for to see if anyone has the item that you need. The success of that site is dependant on people posting things to give away. It would probably collapse if everyone just posted things they wanted and no one posted things they wanted to get rid of. Think about how dull this forum would be if no one posted their finds anymore.

The great posts that are put up here and the excellent responses have built up a camaraderie among us and helped make the Illinois forum the most active of all the state forums. This forum is a great place to visit, and an even better place to belong to. I'd hate to see that change, but I think the trend to not post finds is a danger to the health of this place. Maybe I'm off base here. Maybe there are good reasons not to post. Maybe I'm wasting my time with this rant and by posting what I find. I don't know, but there it is....

Sorry to rant, but I needed to get this off my chest. If you read this far, thanks! :wink:

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Re: Not even winter and here come the rants... OK, here's mine!

Well Kimsdad,

Look forward to my end of month finds and BTW, I am not given any of them away!!

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250

Pictures are my problem, not willing to risk the chastisement that comes from posting poor pics or none., grew up in a time when you told the operator a 3 digit phone number and she connected you. So for right now for the most part I just read and look..A short hunt Tues, found 1894 half dollar, 1913 dime, 1917 dime, gold baby ring, 4 wheat pennies, little clad.. Using an ex ll in an old house yard.. Enjoy the posts and the pictures, but would rather not participate unless it can be done right.. don

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

And here I thought I was filling that gap by posting every insignificant piece of junk
I find on a daily basis. :laughing7:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Guilty as charged Neil, my online alter-ego is that of a cheer leader, not a player. I really like seeing the "minor", the "insiginifcant", the "worthless junk", the zincolns and clad and such others post with enthusiasm, especially the newbies. I'm typing that in all seriousness.

There are other forums where "purists" can go. People who have "outgrown" their thrill from unearthing some simple signal w/o regard to it's value. People who only appreciate a hunt for silver, or gold, or relics or bobby pins and want nothing to do with us vulgar totlot or carnie or modern schoolyard metal detecting mercenaries of mediocrity.

So go throw your coils over that bed of gold, drink your smarmy house beer and e-post to those of a stature befitting your iconic self-image, Nimrods!

I'm spiking my hair, coloring it a gravelly-clay hue of beige, shoving a 4-inch probe through my nose and wearing a Sum41 tee-shirt with a clad rosie tat on my forehead, YEAH THAT'S RIGHTEOUS!

Hey, wanna go beeping this weekend? I think the wife will let me out all day Sunday if I get the dishes and housework done Saturday. Geez I hope it don't rain.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know I'm guilty too....

Sorry I haven't posted my last few weeks of finds... I didn't think that finding a 1913 V Nickel was worthy of a post.... ;D ;D ;D

When I do find something and if it has a good story I'll post it.....

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd love to post, but can't figure out how to put up pictures? Would love to become a charter, but don't have pay pal. Oh Well

timmmyd

Mar 15, 2009
warrenville
Detector(s) used
ace 250

to post or not. i am with kenley and dimeaday can not do pictures so why post when everyone wants pictures. someday some one will show me how

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Kimsdad,

I would love to post but I literally have not found a damn thing worth posting. On top of that my camera decided to go haywire on me too. I'll keep looking at the other folks finds and commenting on them but until I find something more then a few cents, a lot of trash and replace my camera thats all I can do. Oh and on top of everything else some idjit was digging holes the size of basketballs in the parks here and got us all kicked out of them for detecting. My hunting spots are few and far between now so until I get some private property lined up to hunt on I'm not gonna be detecting too much before the ground freezes.

HH Charlie

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THERE SURE HASN'T BEEN MUCH ON HERE LATELY!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

I agree with Neil. I like signing on here and seeing everyone's pictures and stories. For example, reading Lookin4Seated's post really got me pumped about this weekend. A story with photos is always great. I would like to take more "on-site" photos myself, but the detecting camera is relatively bulky and I usually only bring it when I wear my big winter MD coat with the big pockets.

And Neil also brought up another valid point. The process of all of us posting our finds with photos and such really ups the camaraderie. This Illinois forum is BY FAR the best forum by location, probably on any TH'ing website. It helps that the vast majority of us know each other in person, but by seeing each others' finds regularly, well, that just helps build a certain cohesion among us.

But I also sunderstand that not everyone has a scanner or camera, or knows how to post photos, so...

Joe

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

Well,

Kimsdad motivated me to get out and hunt for a while. here are my finds for today!! :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• Picture 005 (Large).jpg
    Picture 005 (Large).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Lowbatts said:
...I'm spiking my hair, coloring it a gravelly-clay hue of beige, shoving a 4-inch probe through my nose and wearing a Sum41 tee-shirt with a clad rosie tat on my forehead, YEAH THAT'S RIGHTEOUS!...
Tired of attracting deer, eh? I wonder what's going to follow you around in that outfit? :tard: :tongue3:

dimeaday said:
Pictures are my problem, not willing to risk the chastisement that comes from posting poor pics or none., grew up in a time when you told the operator a 3 digit phone number and she connected you. So for right now for the most part I just read and look..A short hunt Tues, found 1894 half dollar, 1913 dime, 1917 dime, gold baby ring, 4 wheat pennies, little clad.. Using an ex ll in an old house yard.. Enjoy the posts and the pictures, but would rather not participate unless it can be done right.. don

kenley said:
I'd love to post, but can't figure out how to put up pictures? Would love to become a charter, but don't have pay pal. Oh Well

timmmyd said:
to post or not. i am with kenley and dimeaday can not do pictures so why post when everyone wants pictures. someday some one will show me how

Glad to hear from you guys!!! If any of you have a digital camera and need help posting pics, PM me & I'll try to help. :wink:

Goio said:
Well,
Kimsdad motivated me to get out and hunt for a while. here are my finds for today!! :icon_pirat:
Looks like you and Kermit are the only ones who braved it today! What years are the wheats?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, you got me motivated to FINALLY clean up a few things. . . :wink:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

My excuse has been work, but lately since the 60 hour work weeks just stopped I've been picking up the slack with my family. My son just turned four, and is starting preschool. They grow up too fast ya know.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know I'm guilty too....

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Caution... rant follows...

Well my last two times out, representing probably a good 12 to 14 hours of detecting, resulted in mostly junk. So thinking most people wouldn't want to see the 3 bent spoons, the 47 smashed screw caps, the assorted lag connectors and cable TV fittings, and odd shaped metal stampings from manufacturing something or other at a time when recycling didn't exist... the numerous memorial pennies, couple or three clad dimes, a jefferson nickel or two, instead of photographing it I just tossed it all on the bed and rolled around in it and pretended it was a million dollars in small bills.

Alright really all I did was toss it into a hat so I could get it out of my truck but I was too disgusted with my finds to photograph them. We spent hours in PRIME hunting areas which should have given up barbers and seateds and we didn't even get CLAD. Sidewalk tear outs down to original layers when the buildings were put up and you would expect at least an indian head penny or a buffalo nickel or V nickel or SOMETHING and we got skunked. I can't explain it other than we just weren't supposed to find anything in that spot at that time. And the other spots we went, while not as likely to produce as many oldies as the latest sidewalk removals, I've never had as little coinage as I did last time. Maybe I was listening and digging the wrong stuff but that was the only stuff I was getting signals on. I started getting desperate and dug stuff I knew was most likely trash.

OK rant over!
Whew I feel better now.
Tomorrow is another day and I fully expect to find something to take a picture of. And if not tomorrow, then the day after.

And to those who don't have a camera to take photos - I'd still like to hear the story if you found something interesting or old or just something weird.

Those of you that do have digital cameras and don't know how to post photos here, just ask any of us who have posted photos and most likely we can walk you through it. It's not that hard once you've done it a time or two.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Mayo South Elgin said:
Caution... rant follows...

Well my last two times out, representing probably a good 12 to 14 hours of detecting, resulted in mostly junk. So thinking most people wouldn't want to see the 3 bent spoons, the 47 smashed screw caps, the assorted lag connectors and cable TV fittings, and odd shaped metal stampings from manufacturing something or other at a time when recycling didn't exist... the numerous memorial pennies, couple or three clad dimes, a jefferson nickel or two, instead of photographing it I just tossed it all on the bed and rolled around in it and pretended it was a million dollars in small bills.

LOL @ rolling around in your clad on your bed. I was really laughing!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread