Short wet hunt some wheats, silver, and a steel penny???

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to the woods with Dub and L4S for I guess an hour, in that time we ran into Olderactor. In that time I found 5 wheaties and what I'm guessing is a 1943 steel penny, it was in the hole with one of the 40's wheaties. There is no way of knowing for sure if it is or not but if it is then its the second one that I have found. Last year I found one stuck to/rusted to a wheatie. Then it started raining harder so we all went back to the trucks, we chatted for awhile hoping it would letup but it was only getting worse so we left. On the ride home we decided to hit a park with a tot lot in hopes of finding some jewelry. Well I found some clad then right at the base of a tree I got a 6-8 inch dime signal. I was hoping it would be a silver dime but once out of the ground I quickly seen it was a ring in the bottom of the hole. Cool this is my 5th silver ring for the year!!! Oh yea its a 925 ring. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• 4-25-10 001.jpg
    4-25-10 001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 178
  • 4-25-10 002.jpg
    4-25-10 002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 175

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ring! What's also cool is that "crusty" . . . if it is a steel cent, their longevity diminishes by the day :)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice short hunt!
I too braved rain, but was skunked today. I agree that is likely a steel wheat penny. I found one like that last year. It broke in 2, so I threw it out, but amidst all the bubbly I could see the base of a wheat stalk and I found it along with 14 other wheaties. It looked just like yours.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE RING!

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Congrats on the ring and weaties. That's a cool ring! :icon_thumright:

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. TreasureFiend ,

That is without a doubt a steel wheatie ...

You have saved whats left of it's constant loosing battle with mother nature ... You will go down in the annals of treasure hunting history as the patron saint of the steel wheatie. That is unless you renounce your title & go directly for the Pièce de résistance ... the highly coveted & extremely sought after ... GOLDEN RAT ... :o

The ring is quite nice and righteous congratulations are in order ...

~ Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread