TreasureFiend rant!!! No power in 1/2 my apartment!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRIDAY 5/7/10
I got up for work at 1pm everything was fine in my apartment but when I got home at 11:30pm my power was out. The first thing I thought of was that the power company shut me off but I pay my bill on time that couldn't be the case. Then I thought that the entire building was out but I remembered that the stairway lights were still on.

Well it being after 11:30pm it was too late to knock on my neighbors door to see if they had any power, that and half of my neighbors were out enjoying their Friday night somewhere. Well I went and flipped the breakers all off then all back on again and nothing. I then went around my place and tried all of the lights, well the front room, my bedroom, the hall, & the bathroom was dead - but my kitchen, storage closet, and my office had power.

About 10min later I heard the breakers pop again, I went and looked and 2 of them were in the middle position. I then went around my entire apartment and unplugged everything except the refrigerator. I reset the breakers again and just like before, only half of my place had power. Then about 10min later the 2 breakers popped again!!! WTF!!!

Well by this time it was also too late to call the owner (it's only a 6 unit apartment so we don't have a manager). So on Sat I will call the owner and tell him the problem. To add to this, (SAT) I am working my 12 hour shift 7am-7pm and if he could get someone out to check on the problem during the day I would have to call one of my buddies to come on out because I don't trust anybody except my friends in my place while I'm not there.

The other problem is that I know how the owner works, he hires the most inexperienced people he could find to do repairs (basically any guy with a truck and a toolbox that calls himself a contractor). Last year he had a so called "plumber" (just some guy that didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground) to change all the wax seal on the toilets in the building because some were leaking (not mine), well when he got to my toilet he torqued the mounting bolts so tight that he busted both sides of the toilet at the base, it took him a week to get and install a brand new toilet in my place!!! So I know this is going to be a long drawn out process.

I figure its either 2 bad breakers or theirs a broken wire in the wall somewhere...

What also sucks is I never bought any converter boxes for my TVs, my front room TV has a built in one and I don't have "pay TV" so it's going to be boring at the TreasureFiend household. Also my router is in the front room (DSL) and the 4 phone jacks in my place only the front room on works so I can't use my desk top computer, I have a laptop and was able to pirate my neighbors signal so at least I can still be on line, just sucks though!!!

SATURDAY 5/8/10
I called the owner and he said he will have somebody there during the day and that he will call me to get a buddy to go let the repair man in. Well the guy never called. I called the owner back and he said that he can't reach the "electrician" either. Later the owner called me and said that the "electrician" will be waiting for me when I get home at 7:30pm. Well I waited an waited but nobody showed up. So no power in half of my apartment...

Sunday 5/9/10
Well about 9am the same guy that broke the toilet is here again, this time the owner said he will send over an "electrician" and I get this guy again, last time he was a "plumber".... He was here for 3 hours but ran out of ideas fast. He quickly grabbed his gear and left and said: "this needs somebody smarter than me." Like I said,the owner hires the most inexperienced people he could find to do repairs (basically any guy with a truck and a toolbox that calls himself a contractor)... Grrrrr

Still no power in half of my apartment!!! The owner said he will get somebody else to come out today or tomorrow!!! I can't wait to see who he sends next!!!!

I will keep you updated on this.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Replace the breakers.

And you waited a week for the toilet fix?

Must have one heck of a litter box!

Some times you have to do for yourself Fiend! Just take it out of the rent.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Replace the breakers.

And you waited a week for the toilet fix?

Must have one heck of a litter box!

Some times you have to do for yourself Fiend! Just take it out of the rent.

The "electrician" said he tested the breakers and they were good.

Yea a whole week for a new toilet, it was just the base that was busted, it still worked but it was like freestanding and could tip over if you leaned it too far. :tongue3:

The owner is cutting me some slack already on the rent due date (everybody else is on the 1st and mine is the 2nd Friday of every month) and not charging me the $5 a day late fee so I don't want to push it too far with him.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotta wonder if the guy knows how to check breakers, let alone make sure they're rated right.

But hey, let me hijack you for a minute!
Got three wheaties today! Two of 'em at totlots! Then I came home to do the yardwork.

Weed whacker choked up, clogged carb and fuel line. Got tennis elbow trying to restart it after cleaning and it never fired back up. The primary lawn mower turned into a yard fogger. Cleaned it out, changed the plug, fired it up and it kept fogging. Rings, valves, whatever but the carb cleaning did it in. I think it's still burning in the back yard.

Got the secondary mower out and for some reason the tank is leaking if I put more than a quarter tank of gas in it, and the shutoff valve failed to. Goodbye Homelite Jacobsen. Hello MTD.

Left the backyard half cut, half ablaze and decided I should get the grill going. Took out those juicy big boy burgers we got at the store Friday and popped them open. Spoiled, I mean, run out of the house before you lose your lunch rotten odor expanding through the kitchen at some geometric rate.

So they're back there past the firebreak waiting on that three-legged coyote that keeps clawing at the back door. Looks like Freddy Kruger been knocking on that door. Hope he enjoys the meat.

I'd order out, but it's so mean to do that to Mrs. Lowbatts on Mutha's Day so I threw a couple Vienna Beef Polish on the grill, why waste the charcoal, right? Hmmm, I better go check on them, been a while, dozed off for a bit. Shoulda bought a lotto ticket too....

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry Kermit..You have been having a string of bad luck for a while now..I hope things take a turn for the good for you Very Soon

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. ;D

Update - The new "electrician" showed up for about 10min, he thought that it was the breakers but quickly tested them and said it is worse than he thought. He said he will call me tomorrow for sure but doesn't know if he will actually be able to start work until Tuesday. So in the meantime I am going to be using an extension chord to power the front half of my apartment... :-\

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Something is out of phase. We rented a house several years back in Arlington Heights and the exact same thing happened to us. It was the middle of the night and we heard a loud ZZZZZZZT. Half the house was out. My wife and I checked the power lead with a volt meter. Saw one feed was dead and one was good, so we did not call the land lord, we called Com Ed. In our case, the problem was external; the power line was shorting out on a tree branch (1 of the 2 hot leads). It was free for both us and the landlord b/c it was external to the house and so the power co's issue.
Hope you get things resolved soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions