Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Side walkin and Park Pilferin'

When Lowbatts notified me that more sidewalk work was being done locally, I thought it might be a good place to go diggin for the oldies. The first area I tried didn't yield much other than strange bits of old metal, a couple mem cents, and that very ornate piece pictured below. When I found it, it was bent almost in half and the back side had a rod brazed or soldered on which may have allowed a ribbon or belt to pass through. It looked like there was another two attachment points for something else that was missing. I succeeded in flattening it but broke off the rod while trying to straighten it as well.

The second session of sidewalk coil swingin started out amazing. I had gone about 15 feet when I noticed what looked like a pulltab laying on the surface dirt but near the grass and chain link fence of a front yard. I kicked it away from the fence to pick it up and it was then that I realized it was a ring with a really nice looking heart shape stone in the center, flanked by two rectangular stones at each side. It quickly went into my pocket. Later examination revealed the band was stamped .925.
Most of the rest of the sidewalk was an assortment of weird signals including rapid machine gun like interference which I think emanated from the 3 semi trailer rigs parked along the way. Possibly their gps or other tracking devices caused electrical disturbance.

On to the park digs.
The dirt in this park has a mix of nice black dirt in some areas, in other areas it's only 2 inches of grass before you hit gravel from an old parking lot or driveway. We were finding deep mems and other clad coins and then I got two goodies (2 different days) - one at 2 inches, the other at 3 inches. Also got 1930D and 1916D wheat pennies.

Unfortunately I didn't have the video camera with me for my first ever half dollar find - a nice 1943 Standing Liberty (at 3 inches!) We had just been talking about Neil's half dollar find and I mentioned that was on my list since I had never found one yet!

I called Tim over as a witness before I removed it from the hole. When I yelled over to him and shouted "Today's the day" he was in the middle of digging a hole also. It turned out we were both digging our oldest coins of that day at the same time. Tim's was the Indian Head penny.

On the photo of the back of the half I put a pointing hand at a line which I wasn't sure if it should be there or not. Should the eagle's wing have that extra line?

The second day at the same park I hit the motherlode. Of glue tubes. Back in the day it was a cheap high and I guess this park was the place to be when destroying brain cells with toluene based model glue. Found the shell of half of a toy gun. The 1943 Quarter was under a thin patch of grass, in the gravel at 2 inches! I did get video of finding the quarter - that will be posted soon.

It was fun to get out after all that rain we had but it also woke up some mosquitoes. >:(

Oh - and I found Satan's left horn. :o

Attachments

• 5-22-5-23Group.jpg
    5-22-5-23Group.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 227
  • 5-22Ring.jpg
    5-22Ring.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 5-22Ring2.jpg
    5-22Ring2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 1943LibHalf.jpg
    1943LibHalf.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Sticky.jpg
    Sticky.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 233
  • SatansHorn.jpg
    SatansHorn.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 235
  • 1943Lib2.jpg
    1943Lib2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 5-22relic.jpg
    5-22relic.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 149

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Side walkin and Park Pilferin'

Oops, forgot detector. Go back get detector. Oops, left detector on all night, won't turn on. Backup batts no worky-worky. Go back to get other detector. Find out second set of batts was inserted with cloth batt pull on contacts. No, it was third set of batts. Third try to hunt, took both detectors. Mayo turned into human yo-yo driver, back and forth, back and forth.

Tortoise and hare hunt scheme played out. I went to sleep under the big cottonwood as Mayo was across park and I figured I'd wait for him to catch up. Waking up found him in spitting distance of Rumplebattskins. About where you got that stellar half!

At least one of my quarters turned out to be a Saca.

Congrats on that gorgeous bling and TWO '43 silvers from the same park, Walker and Georgie! Wish you'd gotten that '43 merc to round 'em out.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Mayo, grats on the Half Dollar.
HH DFW

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Great assortment of cool finds,,, and congrats on your first half! :o :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Wowee!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Congrats on getting your first, Mayo! I know how badly you wanted one! Looks like VF or close to it - Nice shape! (That wing line is supposed to be there.)

We have a

winner small.jpg

Great ring, too! :thumbsup:

I'll have to try your strategy next time I'm out with you guys.
1. Keep an eye on Tim (once he gets his detector running.)
2. Wait 'til he takes a nap.
3. Dig all the signals around him & find something great! :o

I'd try electrolysis on that gun half to see if it comes back somewhat.

Attachments

• winner small.jpg
    winner small.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ya know, I purposely didn't mention the fact that we arrived at the park 3 times before we actually started detecting it... It was kind of like 2 stooges detecting service. The people across the street from where we parked must have thought twice about what was going on. I know I did.

Karma sometimes takes a while to catch up. I think it was 2 years ago... but it was good to finally receive my payback for the time that Tim drove when we were going to a group hunt someplace, and we left from my home in South Elgin, got to somewhere near Routes 72 and 59, and I said to Tim, "Uhhm, I think I forgot to put the battery pack in my detector". We pull over, I check the detector, and sure enough, no battery pack. The minelab doesn't work by just dropping in loose double A batteries - you have to put them into their special holder which then slides in just like the rechargeable battery pack that I always use, which I forgot to put in. So it would have done no good to buy batteries and drop them in because I didn't have the battery holder with me either. So Tim had to drive back to South Elgin.

It was priceless though, when we get to the park the first time, and Tim says, "Uhhm, where's my detector?" Classic. What a great time! I wish I had the video camera rolling for that. I'm still crackin up over it!

So are those half dollars referred to as Walkers or Standing Liberty or either term is used?
I had a feeling that split on the eagle's wing was the "thumb" part of the wing but wasn't sure.
It's been so long since I had been able to look at one up close, I forgot what they were supposed to look like.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Mayo South Elgin said:
It's been so long since I had been able to look at one up close, I forgot what they were supposed to look like.
She's a walker - aptly, because she's walking! ;D

Actually, she wasn't complete. Here's how she's supposed to look:

Mayo\'s half copy.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Only on TNet, Neil....

Didn't get out today, you want to stop by in the morning? I'll be there about 6:45 if you're interested.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Insanity at its finest ... :icon_thumright:

Congratulations ~ Al

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

Mayo South Elgin said:
So are those half dollars referred to as Walkers or Standing Liberty or either term is used?

From what I have seen/experienced, they're usually referred to as "walkers", it being short for walking liberty half dollar.

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II

Great hunt, Mayo! And congrats on your first half. She's a beauty.

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I redid the relic photo and the back side of the half.
Thanks for lookin folks.
As Bartles & Jaymes used to say,
"We appreciate your support"

And Kimsdad - if I saw a female gnome that looked as pretty as that coin, I would have to propose to her. As long as she doesn't grow a beard.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Mayo South Elgin said:
I redid the relic photo and the back side of the half.
Thanks for lookin folks.
As Bartles & Jaymes used to say,
"We appreciate your support"

And Kimsdad - if I saw a female gnome that looked as pretty as that coin, I would have to propose to her. As long as she doesn't grow a beard.

I could shave...

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Awesome coinage and relics! Congrats on that Walker. She is a beauty!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy crap Mayo! awesome hunt :headbang:

I think that half was minted with you in mind ::)

mayo.jpg

Olderactor

Oct 28, 2008
Old Irving Park Chicago, IL
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excalibur ll, E-trac, Explorer 2 xpdeus, minelab 3030

Nice finds. Congrads on the half. I got one today and it was my first franklin 53. I'll post later. again congrads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread