Sadly, the silver Rosey streak has ended...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Had a tough weekend...my fiance's grandmother passed away during the week and her wake/funeral was held Friday/Saturday. Well, the last thing she'd want me to do is linger in sorrow. I needed to clear my mind so I decided to get out for the morning. I headed back to my tried and true Rosey location for some more...you guessed it, Rosies. Even though they are "just Rosies", I still love digging them, and hey, when they are abundant, who wouldn't want to see that silver reeded edge poking out from the side of the hole or the bottom of the plug??

So I got to the spot early and begin swinging. I decided to remove the 6x10 and use the stock 9.5" for the first time since last summer. I wanted to see if I missed any of the deeper coins. My little experiment worked well, as I grabbed up some wheaties and a bunch of teasers (60's clad) that I evidently couldn't find with the 6x10 (or maybe I just didn't get the coil over them....?). However, I was silverless for the first two hours or so. I was walking a line along some trees where I began digging shallow 60's clad and later-date wheaties, until I got a pretty good quarter signal. I had a pretty good feeling this was going to be a silver quarter, and sure enough, out popped a '36 Washington at four inches. A few feet away, I got another quarter signal, at four inches, but had an entirely different feeling about this one. It just didn't have that "sound". Dug it up and got a '65. I'm getting there, slowly yet surely!

I decided to try one more spot before I went home. Got out to the spot and was swarmed by mosquitoes and even a few biting flies. One of the flies was relentless. It just kept coming, even after I showed it a little impromptu Tai Kwon Do (more like Tai Chi). The damn thing had no fear as it continuously landed on my arms and shirt no matter how much I swiped at it with my digger. It was like I was a magnet for flies. Eventually, my cat-like reflexes sprouted into action and I dispatched the little $h!t with a little help from my experience on the set of "Matrix". Anyway.

So I realized this spot was not going to work out until the cooler weather hits, or at least until the bugs fade away. Yet, I decided to dig a couple signals on my way out. The first was a pulltab, and the second was ringing up penny/nickel/dime/quarter/half/dollar/Volkswagon at 6 inches. I dug my plug and scanned the bottom, and oh, what a sweet signal it was. I scooped some dirt out, and immediately saw a BIG silver reeded edge. Oh shnap! If this was a twist cap, I was going to bang my head against the nearest tree. My dream became reality when I extracted a '43 Walker. Scanned the hole again and got foil, decided to dig it up, there in the pile was a '41 Jeff. Scanned the hole again, faint penny/dime. I was so pumped thinking I was going to score another silver, but instead it was a wheatie. Oh well! I got out of there immediately because the bugs were on me hard (scratching multiple itchy bites right now). Totals for the day, two silver, eight wheaties, '41 nickel, and about 4 dollars in clad. Not bad!

Hope you all had great weeklends, and looking forward to reading your posts,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 188

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe, I'll trade you 5 Rosie's for that Walker. . . (then you can preserve your streak ;D)

Sweet hunt!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Lovely tale Bard Joe, and lovely finds!

I try to keep a mantis on hand for the flies.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Sorry for the rest of us your Rosie streak ended ... Those are worth more than 7 Rosies ... Great job!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a score on the silver Joe, hitting them at the end of the hunt is always great.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt Joe! Those halves are still out there! :thumbsup:

M

MR Senior L4S

Congrats !!! :thumbsup://///////Dont have "" walker "" for 2-Years /////

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear the news about the death in your lady's family...That is always bad..

I would like to Congratulate you on those awesome finds you made...May it help take your mind off things...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread