Pulltab to Ring ratio

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never kept track of exactly how many pull tabs or junk I dig compared to how many nickels or rings. I know it's a pretty high ratio - I'm guessing maybe 15 to 20 pull tabs or beaver tails for every nickel I dig. And probably at least 75 to 100 pull tabs or more, for every ring I have dug. Of course this doesn't happen every hunt - it's kind of a running total that averages out over time.

Here's the pics of the finds from my last hunt with Lowbatts in one park, and me alone in another park - the 10K ring, one wheat (1944), several clad coins, and the US Department of Justice Deportation Immigration Officer Pin came from a park that's been calling to me every time I drive past - I hadn't detected it for a couple years. I have a feeling I'll get some silver there. The back of that D.O.J. pin says HAL MFG. LA. CA. I'm SO glad it WASN'T stamped Made in China! How ironic would that be... It appears to be gold plated but it's pretty beat up - maybe the officer that wore it got into a scuffle in the park.

The junk shot is included for good target to junk target ratio. This particular day wasn't too bad.

Attachments

• 10KRing.jpg
    10KRing.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 10KRing2.jpg
    10KRing2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DOJ-Pin.jpg
    DOJ-Pin.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DOJ-Pin2.jpg
    DOJ-Pin2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Medal.jpg
    Medal.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 08-05-10.jpg
    08-05-10.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 173

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi Mayo. Nice stuff!! I think you're right about the pulltab to nickel ratio. Most nickels I ever dug in one hunt was 9, and it took me 14 hours to dig all those!! I got 2 in todays hunt (about 8 hrs hunting time). Interestingly, I didn't dig a single pull tab or beaver tail; all my "bogus" nickel signals today were either foil or can slaw. First time that's ever happened to me. Weird, huh?

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Cool digs, Mayo!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And for the gold ring you get a :icon_king:

The ring is a beauty! I'm still waiting for my first solid goldie.

Either that Customs pin is a giveaway souveneer pin, or they have pinned badges on some really small agents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread