Got out with the wife...

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Yesterday, I talked my wife into joining me for a newbie hunt, convincing her it's "like taking a walk". I'm getting a lot better at finding clad and discerning trash (although I still pull up plenty of it). She was a good sport and carried my back pack. Went to a local picnic area and the first good hit yielded at 2002 dime. Yipeeee. Second hole yielded a pop can top... but then she couldn't take the mosquitos anymore after being there 10 minutes.

Caved in and used the dime towards two ice creams. ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, wifey and kids refuse to hunt with me unless it's beach, totlots or deep woods.

Remember to dig sparingly in heat, you will almost surely kill the spot you dig in this weather unless rain is already on the way. Pick low ground that is still wet under the grass whenever possible.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Yep, wifey and kids refuse to hunt with me unless it's beach, totlots or deep woods.

Remember to dig sparingly in heat, you will almost surely kill the spot you dig in this weather unless rain is already on the way. Pick low ground that is still wet under the grass whenever possible.

Dig in the dirt only or bald spots... oh ya wood chips....

To get a wife to go.....hummmmmm never heard of that....lets take a pole.....99.9% would not go.

OP
OP
C

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Yeah, it may be the last time she goes with... the area we checked was pretty bald. So we just cut a plug (of dirt), moved it aside and pin pointed from there. Then just dropped the chunk of dirt back in and gave it a good stomp.

By the way, some of the plugs I made at my parent's house turned brown (according to my mom). I remember being pretty gentle with the hole cutting process, and trying not to cut the roots. Is there anything else you guys do to limit the damage? Like spraying the area with water?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chiil said:
Yeah, it may be the last time she goes with... the area we checked was pretty bald. So we just cut a plug (of dirt), moved it aside and pin pointed from there. Then just dropped the chunk of dirt back in and gave it a good stomp.

By the way, some of the plugs I made at my parent's house turned brown (according to my mom). I remember being pretty gentle with the hole cutting process, and trying not to cut the roots. Is there anything else you guys do to limit the damage? Like spraying the area with water?

Best way I know is to NOT cut a circular plug and detach it completely
from the hole. . . horseshoe shaped plugs. . . about 7" diameter. . . that are
at least 4" deep and "hinged" on one end seem to come back the best.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I always cut a round plug but do so deep enough that the roots stay intact within it. Never had a problem with it either. If there's a coin within 4" of the top you can always just cut a slit with a knife and reach in for it, once you get the pinpointing figured out.

I know some would argue this a no-no, but using a 4" awl with a rounded tip helps locate the item exactly prior to excavation. I used this method for years before I became comfortable with my pinpointing accuracy.

I am a believer in the old "green thumb" theory though because I see some who tear them plugs apart and shred the grass, yet do not kill it while others who seem to cut decent plugs always leave dead grass behind even at the same sites.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I generally don't dig in the turf during hot dry weather unless I am sure it will rain later that day or the next day at latest. Like Tim said, sometimes you can dig perfect deep plugs and still end up with a field of dead plugs. Or, you can dig complete shallow plugs and shake the dirt off for 2-inch deep targets (which shouldn't be done anyway) and come back a week later and it will look great. The best method during this weather is to hit bald areas, beaches, or tot lots. Or just pop out shallow stuff.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread