Been a long Time: August Finds (including Free Masons Token)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Been a long Time: August Finds (including Free Mason's Token)

Hi all,
I have been very busy recently and regret not getting on T-net for weeks. I will try to look through all of your past finds since being off, but I am still quite busy. I am sure a lot of goods were found. I got out for 4 hunts in August and 1 hunt in September. Here are the collection of my finds:

First, on Aug 6, I found the cruddy 1896 IH. Exactly 1 week to the day later, on Aug 13, I found the nice 1896 from same location:

1896\'sobv.jpg
1896\'sRev.jpg

Second, on August 17, I found my most interesting find in a while, plus my first silver in exactly a month. I popped the hole and this large cent sized piece fell out. I thought a LC would be a little old for the area, so I did not get my hopes up. As I inspected, I saw that it was a Free Mason token. I know little about these, so if anyone has the dirt on them, please let me know. Just as I realized what it was, the thought came to rescan the hole. Even before I so much as picked up my detector, my eye caught sight of this 1903 dime which was in the same hole as the FM token -- I guess gives an idea of when it was dropped.

FreeMason\'sObverse.jpg
FreeMason\'sReverse.jpg

Finally, on August 24 (the buffalo is from Sept 3 and different location), I found the ugliest silver dime I ever dug. You cannot see, but it is an 1892 (yeah my 4th 1800's silver on the year) Barber Dime. It was really dark, when I found it I could not tell what it was but assumed it was a dime and not a penny. When I sonicated it, some of the black stuff came off and it was white and porous underneath. It is also really worn thin. I wondered if it was a non-silver counterfeit, but when I scraped the rim with my thumb nail, when white stuff comes off it is indeed silvery. What would do this to silver? My speculation is either acid in the soil from pine trees, or that it was in a fire.

Uglyobverse.jpg
UglyReverse.jpg

After such a fast start to the year, finding silver has gotten slow for me, though most my silver now is Barber or older. I am up to 43 (compare that to 35 at beginning of May). Let's see if I'll hit even 50 this year....

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Re: Been a long Time: August Finds (including Free Mason's Token)

you are having an awesome run! nice IH's.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Good to see you still getting the goods Jon!
Nice goods at that!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice looking coins & token.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Good to hear from you and see your finds. I was wondering where you were off to. Don't worry about not being able to hit 50. You will. I haven't been out that much myself, short hunts here and there. We still gotta get together for a hunt one of these days.

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love the token.
Any idea on the age?

I found one from 1868, as big as a silver dollar

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Bob,
No idea on the age, only that it was with the '03 dime, though it could have been a pocket piece for a long time before that. I tried searching on the net, but there were none like this one. I suppose I could contact the lodge, I did look them up and they exist and were founded rather early. But I'm not sure I'll do that...

After replying to you Bob, I just decided to contact the lodge and sent them pics. I'll see if they have anything to say.

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Hi all,
It looks like the free mason lodge would be interested in buying this off of me. I don't know how to establish fair market value on the token. My guess is $10, but it could be more, but it was dug. I have not sold any of my finds, though I have a pile of scrap silver and gold from detecting to turn in for melt at some point.
I figure its value to me is I found it, but also think since it is part of their history it may be nice to get it back to them. I am thinking since I have no way of really telling the value, I'd just give it to them with the question if any of their members have old yards or property would they be willing to let me detect. That would be of much greater value to me.

Any opinions?

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

p to the 2 to the c,

Giving your find to them in exchange for a hunt or two at any of the members' older yards is totally what I'd do. Good luck bro!!

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yep, agreed. Trade for hunt site if possible.

Unless they're offering some retirement-level payoff for the token of course.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jon

Go to the dollar store and pick up a small picture frame. Take a good digital picture of the front and back.
Mount the pictures and the coin in it and a description that it was found with the aid of a metal detector, inches deep , place, and donated to the lodge by :
Jon -------- and give your information
If interested in seeing what lies in your yard call #--- ---- -----

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good idea Jon, could lead to good hunting grounds.

M

MR Senior L4S

OK. day :thumbsup:

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Great group of oldies. Good to see you posting again. That 1896 IH is nice one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread