Mo silver!!! aka close encounters w/ the CCFP LEO

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Mo' silver!!! aka close encounters w/ the CCFP LEO

Hey everybody!! Got a late start today (I didn't even get out of bed until 1pm :laughing7: ). After buying some new gloves and eating lunch, I headed out to a spot I hit last year with the Ace. I didn't do very well last year (a few $ in clad). This year was a different story. My second and third holes were wheats, 4th hole was a war nickel (my third). As I just finished closing a hole from what would be my last target, I turned around to see a CCFP LEO pop right out of the woods about 50 yards from me!! UH-OH!! He just looked at me and walked to his car parked nearby. Apparently, he had better things to do and didn't care that I was detecting. WHEW!!

Anyway, totals for todays 1 1/2 hr. hunt:

'42p war nickel; near-dateless buff (date is very faint, but under strong light it appears to be a '15 or a '16; if so, it's my oldest buff to date ;D ); 3 wheats ('39, '41, '55d); 3 old(er) Jeffersons ('49, '63d, '64d), and a teeny weeny bit of clad.

Glad I got lots of deep nickel signals today (only one turned out to be a beaver tail). Usually, I never get a nickel signal deeper than 2"; today was different.

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow to hit a Victorian house in the 'burbs. My stepsister knows the owners, and got permission for us to detect there anytime ;D . House was built in the late 1800s, and as far as the current owners know, it has never been detected before ;D ;D ;D . Wish me luck!! As always, I'll post any significant finds asap. Pics of todays goodies are below. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• Picture 526.jpg
    Picture 526.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Picture 527.jpg
    Picture 527.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 152
  • Picture 528.jpg
    Picture 528.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 157

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Re: Mo' silver!!! aka close encounters w/ the CCFP LEO

This sounds more like an admission that you are doing something against the law... I'd probably say that "the ccfp leo looked at me, laughed, and went to his car. He did not understand the joy I derive from digging war nickels, but he didn't care. I think he had some mushroom hunters to chase."

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

p2c said:
This sounds more like an admission that you are doing something against the law... I'd probably say that "the ccfp leo looked at me, laughed, and went to his car. He did not understand the joy I derive from digging war nickels, but he didn't care. I think he had some mushroom hunters to chase."

Hear here!

Of course it's also a testimonial to your recovery habits that he did not see fit to talk to you. Then again, were you kneeling or bent over?

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

Lowbatts said:
p2c said:

Hear here!

Of course it's also a testimonial to your recovery habits that he did not see fit to talk to you. Then again, were you kneeling or bent over?

'Batts- I had just stood up after compacting my plug and making sure there was no trash or loose dirt left. That's when I turned around and saw the officer pop out of the woods. Weird, as I've never seen a ccfp leo get out of their car, much less actually go into the woods....He looked directly at me, and got a good, full look at me, detector in hand, headphones on, digger and pouch around my waist, so he HAD to know I was detecting. He headed directly to his car in a bit of a hurry, so maybe he was on a tight schedule or something. It seems that the ccfp leos patrolling the fp's in the city (or bordering it) don't bother people unless there's an active complaint or serious evidence of flagrantly illegal activity (i.e. drug dealing, "mushroom hunting", etc.). Apparently, they have better things to do. Now the suburban fp's, from what I hear, are a different story. I guess it just depends on the particular leo, and how busy he/she is.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Or it could be they were actually after someone suspected of something (why they went into the woods) and the sharp glance and look over was to make sure you were not the suspect, who knows... Did you say hello sir, that's what I would say. I have been approached in the burbs and when I said hello sir, it lead to 'do you ever find anything?' Of course it may lead to I don't want you here, but that would be the case irrespective of saying hello at that point...

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

**UPDATE** I forgot to check for a mint mark. This particular buff has a D mint mark. I'll have to check my others, but I believe this to be the first buff I've found with a mint mark on it. Also, it may be a '13....under strong light, the last digit kinda looks like a 3. The 191 can be clearly seen under strong light. It's the last digit that's not clear. It is definitely either a 3, a 5, or a 6. Either way, this is definitely the oldest buff I've dug so far.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Clad the Impaler said:
**UPDATE** I forgot to check for a mint mark. This particular buff has a D mint mark. I'll have to check my others, but I believe this to be the first buff I've found with a mint mark on it. Also, it may be a '13....under strong light, the last digit kinda looks like a 3. The 191 can be clearly seen under strong light. It's the last digit that's not clear. It is definitely either a 3, a 5, or a 6. Either way, this is definitely the oldest buff I've dug so far.

Well, if it is a 1913 -D, it is a variety 2 Buffalo nickel, which means you have a key date (if it is a 3). I'd buy some Nic-a-date to get the date clear; since the coin is already trash, it does not matter that you are doing that...
Would you rather know if it is indeed a 1913-d or never know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions