OMG!!! GOLD COIN TODAY!!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
HOLY S**T!!! I STILL cannot believe this one folks. I stopped into a branch of my bank today to dump all the clad from my recent hunts (I use this branch because their coin counter is in the lobby). As always, before inserting my clad in the counting machine, I checked the reject tray underneath. 3 coins in there today (1 zincoln, 1 '59 mem cent (missed a wheatie by one year darn it), and a coin that looked to me like a gold British sovereign). "No way this thing is real" I thought to myself, getting a little more excited upon noticing the rim and surface dings from going through the counting machine showed NO SIGN of this coin being plated. I hurried to the teller to cash in (got just over $22 including the SBA and Sac dollars ;D ), and then raced to my car to return to the jeweler who had just paid me $110 for the smushed 14k ring about a half hour earlier. Imagine my shock when I learn that it is indeed A REAL GOLD COIN!!! :o The jeweler said that it is 8 grams and a 21k "model" of an authentic British sovereign. Sadly, he said there is no way to determine the country of origin as there are many of these "semi-authentic" sovereigns produced. He said had it been 22k, he would've offered me a lot more $. He ended up offering me $310 for it. I figure with American Gold Eagles being .9167 (91.67%) pure gold and being 22k, this coin must be somewhere between 80%-90% pure gold, with the rest probably being copper added for hardness/scratch protection. Pics below include a clad quarter next to the coin for size comparison. I would REALLY like to keep this coin, but REALLY need the $$ the jeweler offered me, so I'm going to have to sell it :'( . Pics are below. Find of the year? You decide.

Attachments

• Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 373
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 349

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
UPDATE: It appears the coin is indeed an authentic British sovereign minted in 1911 at the mint in Sydney, Australia (S mint mark on the reverse). Mintage figures for that year are listed at 2,519,000. It appears that most of these coins sell between $365-$420 USD in EF to AU condition. I'm not sure I can get that much for mine, due to the surface scratches and rim dents from passing through the coin counting machine. We will see. Mintage figures and other info were obtained from this web site http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/sydneymintaustralia.html

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy Sh**...wtg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Once again proving the old adage: "Gold is where you find it."

Wonder what dodo tossed a sovereign in a coin counter?

WTG!!!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Paul! That's a nice surprise to find in the "reject" bin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread