Dug a wallet!

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a local park yesterday and got a penny signal at 7 inches. I thought it may be an old Wheatie so I dug. When I got down 7 inches I saw bright blue plastic. It was a lady's wallet! I pulled it out as careful as I could and pieces started to fall off so I lifted it right into my pouch without looking into it. When I got it home I layed it out on the counter and carefully opened it. All the paperwork and pictures were ruined from moisture. In the change pocket was 9 bright green Wheaties! The newest I believe is 1955. I have not cleaned them yet. This must have been in the ground almost 60 years. I also found a 1947 Rosie, a 1925 Merc and 2 more Wheaties nearby.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must have been one heck of a surprise once you realized it was a wallet?
I don't think I would have waited to look inside.
Grats on finding some silver.

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
well if that dont beat all now fred and that e trac are finding them in the wallets before they fall out way to go fred great hunt dennis

OP
OP
amxfred

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cleaned the Wheats that were in the wallet and there were 2 from the fifties, 2 from the forties, 1 from the 1930's and 4 from the 1920's. I was surprised about this date mixture. :icon_scratch:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Congratulations on an interesting dig. :thumbsup: Indeed the date mixture is a little funny. Mintage numbers aside, I sometimes think in terms of depression and expansion. In that sense having only 1 30's coin makes sense and having a lot of 20's makes sense, though 40's and 50's saw great economic expansion and much higher mintage numbers than the 20's... That's also why 1921 is such a key date for silver coins, nice sharp short depression then.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find. I found a wallet a couple of years ago and it has a silver round in it.

OP
OP
amxfred

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lookn4Seated said:
Sweet find. I found a wallet a couple of years ago and it has a silver round in it.
I believe I saw that on a video?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread