Sunday gold

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Out in the woods with Watercolor Sunday, went on a wheatie hike. He was about 75 feet uphill from me and a nicely colored buckeye landing halfway between us. I thought it was a bit early for the butterflies but headed toward it to see how photogenic it was. It didn't want any part of the camera so I decided to swing around the spot instead.

Almost right under where it landed I got that pulltab/shotgun brass read. Dug it anyway because the signal pinpoint gave an unusual, longer profile for the 5" deep target. Turned out it was a Wahl Eversharp mechanical pencil, gold filled in excellent condition. Especially given thqat this series dates to 1923-1925. I've pulled a few mech pencils out before, one silver, several plated but this one is the best looking one yet in my pouch. Thanks butterfly!

Next came this ring a short while later and the only mark on it is this arrow, or maybe a spade, hard for me to tell and I'm not familiar with these one-mark rings of old. Design and script sure look old and it was another 5" deep target in the woods at an old camp site. Did get a '35 merc this weekend and a few wheaties but not much else coin-wise.

Attachments

• 31112sharp.jpg
    31112sharp.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 447

Nick T

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
I use a Teknetics Omega 8000 w/11DD and 10con , a Fisher CZ-70 pro , teknetics pinpointer.
Nice finds Tim!

8)

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome goodies! :thumbsup:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice finds Tim. Congrats on some Au. :thumbsup:

Are you sure that was a butterfly and not a leprechaun?

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is good...
I found a pen like that years ago. Got a couple old cross pens too.
Is the ring gold too...

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks all!
Hey Bob, I'm 99% sure the ring is gold but the only mark on it is that arrow. It was as deep as the tent grommets and definitely has no corrosion or evidence of plating. And it's got a mighty fine golden shine.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Thanks all!
Hey Bob, I'm 99% sure the ring is gold but the only mark on it is that arrow. It was as deep as the tent grommets and definitely has no corrosion or evidence of plating. And it's got a mighty fine golden shine.
Looky at that it's got my intials B S

I found one like it with no markings and it turned out to be gold Too bad I sold it.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Did you keep the butterfly too? Bring it with at each hunt and dig every place it lands!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread