Is it really finders keepers ?

Haworth

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone ..I am about to start detecting again and looking for direction with Illinois laws as I am from a different country and not in the know as they say .
If i get full permission from a park district or private land owner am I then entitled to keep 100% of my finds ? England has different laws about treasure trove so I need putting in the picture about your beautiful country .:unhappysmiley:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Haworth,
I am not familiar with Illinois law but in general laws here in the U.S. are in an upheaval as all the various types of governments as promoted by environmentalists are attempting to limit or eliminate our rights as related to all outdoor activities. Check with your local metal detecting clubs first and then check with the authorities - do not detect or dig without permission is a general and good rule. The second or possibly first rule is to take very good care of the ground you are hunting on, dig carefully, refill holes so the ground looks like it did before you started. These two will help you and now to answer your question about who own's the detected items. In general if you have permission to detect & dig - if it is public ground what you find is yours. If it is private ground then you follow whatever the deal is between yourself and the land owner. If it is a park, state or national forest - check with the local clubs as all of this is in flux right now. Welcome to the U.S., welcome to TNET and the best of success with your finds........63bkpkr

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I usually check the city website for the park ordinance and laws. Each town/county/state is different. I do as much research as I can online. If a place bans it, they will have it posted at the park, or listed in the ordinance. Also, feel free to ask people around here. When you call the city or park district, they will often tell you no, even if it is not a law there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread