close encounter

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this happened last summer.went to a sled hill in hanover park with a buddy(names kory,first time out)perfect day,not a cloud in the sky.we were on op of the hill when two hispanic young men showed up(just saying hispanic cause they were not prejutise)i see them eyeing us but two guys,no big deal.then two more(now its four)then four more show(now eight)these guys are not boys but yet not men mayb 18-23.now they're all eyeballing us and its not to hard to figure out whats happening.one guy comes breaks from the crowd,comes over to me and asks if i found any gold watches,i laugh and say we're just finding change,he goes back to his buds,pssst,pssst,psst.comes back again and asks if the md are expensive(had a dfx and an ace250)told him they're radio shack models,30 bucks apiece,he goes back.all this time korys been on his knees pretending to dig the same hole.he comes back a third time and asks if we live around the area,i tell him schaumburg,he then asks if i could give him and his buddies a ride to algonquin..by this time i had enough,pulled out the lesche and gave him a good view of it.i look him right in the eye and say thats it,enough,cut the crap(they not only want the gear but my truck too)i tell kory to work his way down the hill,when he gets down,i walk down the hill backwards facing them as they slowly followed.got to the truck with them mayb 15ft behind me,mayb it was the crazed look in my eyes,plus the swinging lesche,whatever but we drove away without anything happening.on the way home kory looks at me and says "i didn't think mding was that dangerous".wife was pissed at me and says i should have given up the mds.....no f' ing way.......actually it wouldn't have been that bad if i did......i had murph's DFX

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lesche makes a nice protection device when your not packing heat. There are many situations where I can't carry (schoolyards for example, its illegal), but I do feel comfortable wi the the lesche. And like a combat knife it has a hand guard so if you do have to use it, you don't slice your own hand up.

It does feel awkward at times using that big tool around kids, so I try to keep it sheathed. I think showing the leasche earlier may have been good. I think one of the key things to avoiding a situation is to not look like a good target. So just pulling it out and cutting something with it may have passively alerted them you are not going to be an easy target.

Also, the Propointer can sort of look like a stun gun.........for those that don't know. There is no substitute for try defense of some kind if your in a situation. Unfortunately some of the best places to hunt are in not so safe places (far away from others, in the "hood", older areas of town). I refuse to avoid these areas..........If I have to switch from detecting metal to inserting metal into something, I can do that.........

greatwhitetailhorns

Jun 5, 2012
I dig with a 12 inch knife people just look at me like I'm crazy had some guys ask me if I was the police or a bounty hunter. Think they was wanted for something I keep my knife in view thought about carrying a pistol. I dive my old clunker so so one thinks I have money. But my v3i is not cheap they would not get it easy.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish i would have bought my gladiator

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 117

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a knife!

Had a trio of thugs approach me this week and they started asking questions... what you find with that, how much it cost etc... then they said cool have fun digging and left.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Bomber, maybe they needed your help to find something they lost! I know the park you're talking about, hit the volleyball court every 4th or 5th weekend and when that carnival is there I usually get a good cladding.

Next time just the swing the coil in front of his face and tell him to go see his dentist, that grill has got fake gold in it.

P.S. early in, early out. Early bird gets the bling... Unless you're Jason, freakin' night owl!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been shot at with a pellet gun. Got hit in the headphones and in the chest.
Scared the sh*** out of them by chasing them down in my car.

That was funny the look on one of faces when I ran up to him with car.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lesche makes a nice protection device when your not packing heat. There are many situations where I can't carry (schoolyards for example, its illegal), but I do feel comfortable wi the the lesche. And like a combat knife it has a hand guard so if you do have to use it, you don't slice your own hand up.

It does feel awkward at times using that big tool around kids, so I try to keep it sheathed. I think showing the leasche earlier may have been good. I think one of the key things to avoiding a situation is to not look like a good target. So just pulling it out and cutting something with it may have passively alerted them you are not going to be an easy target.

Also, the Propointer can sort of look like a stun gun.........for those that don't know. There is no substitute for try defense of some kind if your in a situation. Unfortunately some of the best places to hunt are in not so safe places (far away from others, in the "hood", older areas of town). I refuse to avoid these areas..........If I have to switch from detecting metal to inserting metal into something, I can do that.........

All of Illinois is like your Florida Schoolyards. Unfortunately we cannot carry period in this state. In fact, its even against the law to have a knife over 3.5 inches as it qualifies under the law as a ccw. So, our lesches is all we have to defend us against the gangs who sometimes even have full auto weapons. I guess this is a good reason to put down $50 and not to buy the cheap $10 imitation that breaks.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending where i'm going i do carry something small now.......like cop buddy told me its better to be tried by 12 than carried by six

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

like that post alot... i live in ca all u guys makes me jealous carrying .... ill go to jail ez i just got my lesche in the mail today not only is it a great tool but great defense as well !! sorry to hear you went thorugh that bomber fawk those guys dont even give them a zincin ~!! HH guys GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread