Todays hunt at the camp, I feel like Charlie Brown... Good grief......

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and Joe meet up at the camp this morning, I was pretty tired form working last night, so I was very lazy and missed some great coins. These are the coins I found:

1928 Wheatie
1940 Wheatie
1944 Wheatie
1952d Wheatie
1937 Buffalo
3 1961 Nickel pocket spill

My finds stink compaired to Joe's finds, I just wanted 1 stinkin silver, thats it, but it wasn't meant to be. Joe got them all, I will let him tell you what he got. I could of killed him!!! I will say it again, he knows his M6 like the back of his hand!!!

LOL - Great job bud. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• charlie_brown.jpg
    charlie_brown.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 65,851

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Hey that's a good haul in my book TreasureFiend! Congrats on a productive lazy morning hunt ;)

BTW: I was wondering how many of your silvers found at the camp were with the ACE 250 vs. the Explorer? My brother is coming to the group hunt on the 12th and will be using my ACE 250. I just want to give him some hope that he doesn't need a deep seeking detector to come away with some good ones. How deep has the silver and wheaties been out there?

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Rootmaster,

I'm going to attempt to answer the question you posed regarding the Ace 250 in the woods. I'm sure TreasureFiend will agree.

TF and I both began using Aces in the woods, and we both found silvers and old coins. TF more so than I, because he had more patience than I did, and had a bigger coil. Once we upgraded, our finds increased drastically. Detecting with the Ace is fun, but with only two tones, I found it to be too repetitive and confusing. Absolutely anything in the woods that vaguely resembled a coin (in terms of composition) will give you one of two tones- that's it. Depth of a target cannot be determined until you pinpoint (the visual depth chart isn't always very accurate). Since I've upgraded, I've dug a lot less and extracted more coins. Don't get me wrong, I still dig pocketfuls of trash, most of which I fully expected to be trash. My coin-to-trash ratio has increased since using a detector with more options, i.e. 7 tones, VDI, better discrimination, better depth, etc.

But bring an Ace! I found a nice pocket spill of two 1954 Washingtons my first time out to the camp with the Ace 250. TF found a ton of silver dimes and other coins with it. It is certainly a bit more challenging, in my opinion, but if you're up for it, go for it!

Joe

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as Joe said above, I think I found 11 or 12 silvers, also my very first Buffalo Nickel with my Ace 250 at the camp. The Ace is no slouch, I found both of my gold rings and my silver necklace with it too, but not at the camp though. Most of the coins I find out there are anywhere between 4-8 inches deep, but I did find my 1st Buffalo just under some leaves on the surface. I have found a few that were deeper though.

To save your brother a lot of headaches, notch out the nickels for him, there is a ton of aluminium foil all over that place and they all ring up as nickels.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Thanks for the info guys. Well since my brother currently has a Bounty Hunter Lonestar, the ACE 250 is definitely a step up and has a pinpointing feature. He'll also have the option of a whites bullseye 2 or harbor freight pinpointer. He doesn't really have the option to use anything else, but I think trying to use an Explorer for the first time would be too much of a headache for him. I just wanted to make sure everything is not 8+ inches deep so he can find stuff. Sounds like he'll definitely have a high possibility of finding his first silver coin there. He's already found a 9 gram 18K gold wedding band with the Lonestar, so he knows what treasure feels like ;-) Silver coins are a totally different and wonderful feeling.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Just to clarify: There is still a lot of silver left there, but it is becoming harder and harder to find. Don't let our posts fool you, the crap we go through to get it is something most others won't do- which is why we've found it and others haven't yet. If you're willing to get down and dirty for some silver, you just might do OK.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

Joe

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
He wont be the only one with an ace 250 at the hunt. I am in the same boat 61 coins so far(2 wheats and the rest clad) no silver. That is half the reason I am making the drive. Not a bad haul for only owning the ace for 9 days thou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread