is this the richest waterfall in the world?

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread reminds me that the only people making real money treasure hunting are those supplying the ancillary equipment and services needed in order to hunt. For instance, according to the USGS there are many who think they can make wages or better by gold mining, panning etc. However, the people making money in that particular game are those who sell mining equipment, metal detectors etc. The president of the Gold Prospectors Association of America said it is a misnomer that people actually make money by joining their club to pan for gold, they are lucky just to find enough gold for gas money. However, the GPAA makes money through memberships. Of course, this is just here in the U.S., I don't know about elsewhere.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning SC: want some nice hot sock coffee? you posted --> that is how people made money in the gold rush of 1849...in calif... rare for people to make money off a mine...if you find one, you need money to open it...capital investment.
~~~~~~~~~

Tell me my friend sigh, course in the case of Tayopa it is also permits, but the others ??

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UK'r serve yourslef tea or /coffee. You posted regarding Apache' --> the latter said deep in Sonora near the border with Chihuahua.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is exactly where Tayopa is. 2800 meters from the Sonoran Border. And Yes, the Apache were there according to local legend.

Now back to LOA's waterfall.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All

Urbantreasure, secretCanyon. UK

Dame Fortune is very fickle mistress to please my friends. Chasing fortune and glory is dammed hard work. It can be very thankless and some times it is not the just that is rewarded. Many people have traveled down that road my friends and fail. And why do they fail you ask? Will it comes down to state of mind, you play to win not to lose.

Sadly I see this playing to lose all too often in American Society today. Where is that spark, that hunger, drive, that indomitable spirit that was one admired and aspired to by the world over? It I fear the great American Dream may have gone the same way as the British Empire went when they had the spark that was lost into the dustbin of history. Forever lost in the living rooms of the masses playing x boxes lamenting a world that once was. It is the lack of get up and go has inflicted entire generation that all too much enjoyed the spoils of the pain and suffering of their forbears. Not just in America but the west in general.

Life is hard life is tough. Playing to win my friends will see many casualties along the way. But for those who dare to dream and are straight and true with their goal shall overcome even against amazing odds.

Lamenting in defeatism is setting yourself up for failure. There is many people from humble origins who had made absolute fortunes in their long hard lives in the mining game. One thing they all had in common is with every failure they picked themselves up and took it as a lesson not a failure.

There is no such thing as fate only the one you dictate.

Crow

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Hello All

Urbantreasure, secretCanyon. UK

Dame Fortune is very fickle mistress to please my friends. Chasing fortune and glory is dammed hard work. It can be very thankless and some times it is not the just that is rewarded. Many people have traveled down that road my friends and fail. And why do they fail you ask? Will it comes down to state of mind, you play to win not to lose.

Sadly I see this playing to lose all too often in American Society today. Where is that spark, that hunger, drive, that indomitable spirit that was one admired and aspired to by the world over? It I fear the great American Dream may have gone the same way as the British Empire went when they had the spark that was lost into the dustbin of history. Forever lost in the living rooms of the masses playing x boxes lamenting a world that once was. It is the lack of get up and go has inflicted entire generation that all too much enjoyed the spoils of the pain and suffering of their forbears. Not just in America but the west in general.

Life is hard life is tough. Playing to win my friends will see many casualties along the way. But for those who dare to dream and are straight and true with their goal shall overcome even against amazing odds.

Lamenting in defeatism is setting yourself up for failure. There is many people from humble origins who had made absolute fortunes in their long hard lives in the mining game. One thing they all had in common is with every failure they picked themselves up and took it as a lesson not a failure.

There is no such thing as fate only the one you dictate.

Crow
The guy that wins is the one that gets up one more time than he gets knocked down .

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UK'r serve yourslef tea or /coffee. You posted regarding Apache' --> the latter said deep in Sonora near the border with Chihuahua.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is exactly where Tayopa is. 2800 meters from the Sonoran Border. And Yes, the Apache were there according to local legend.

Now back to LOA's waterfall.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hello Mr LM, Crow

Yep, the Apache who was questioned about a century ago, was none other than the son of the great Apache Chief Cochise. Chief Naiche was also a great leader in his own time and was ostensibly in charge during the famous Geronimo campaigns of the 1880s, and knew the deepest secrets of his people. It is sometimes overlooked that many Apache had trading relations with towns and villages in old Mexico and some were even brought-up by Mexican families. They were not silly folk who did not know the value of precious metals and the effect it had on people or the determination to find it.

Going back to LOA's thread on the waterfall, what are your feelings on it??

Worth a punt or two??

By the way, Crow is absolutely right and is talking perfect sense - if you think and act with a defeated manner, what chance of success in life can you hope to achieve??

There may be plenty of treasure/adventure - hunters in the world, but the successful ones are the most focused, practical, sensible, realistic and disciplined ones who reap the benefits of their endeavours. Many may not break-even or perhaps even lose resources in the hunt, but some do get their paws on the shiny stuff. I certainly know which camp I wanna be in.

See only solutions; overcome the obstacles. Forget the rest.

Right, rant over gents.

Mr LM, what are we serving today with the refreshments, ashamed to admit I'm not too familiar with Mexican cuisine but am very much looking forward to tasting and smelling the delights.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon Uk'r. Today for example, for lunch, 'stir fried chicken breasts in rice, vegetables, fresh Limeade, and a back scratching.. This morning, Bean paste with delicate chilies, egg omelet with cheese and Sweet chiles, Coffee, fresh corn Tortillas, and a smooch.:censored:

I need Kamacker and Crow here to show mi esposa how to spice things up.

Don Jose de La Mancha

LOA is too immersed in Mexican field cooking, Eating, has been in Mexico too long. He probably doesnt' consider a meal complete without Tortillas. hehehhe

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose

Sounds like you live like a king!

Your better half does not need to spice things up my friend Don Amigo.Your spicy enough.

And besides I don;t think your teeth could could chew Kanacka's marinated crock these days.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon Uk'r. Today for example, for lunch, 'stir fried chicken breasts in rice, vegetables, fresh Limeade, and a back scratching.. This morning, Bean paste with delicate chilies, egg omelet with cheese and Sweet chiles, Coffee, fresh corn Tortillas, and a smooch.:censored:

I need Kamacker and Crow here to show mi esposa how to spice things up.

Don Jose de La Mancha

LOA is too immersed in Mexican field cooking, Eating, has been in Mexico too long. He probably doesnt' consider a meal complete without Tortillas. hehehhe

Morning Mr LM

Well, well, well..............................well

Now I know the secret of your robust disposition.

Sounds very tasty, couple it with all that fresh mountain air, and you really do have the ideal recipe (no pun intended) for vitality.

LOA is a proper professional and I hope keeps us all informed of his many insights into this topic we all seem captivated by.

Did you see me comment in the LAD thread??
What did you make of it??

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheeshs Crow mi buen amigo, A tender loin from a 16 year old Long Mary Kai Kai?? From what you have mentioned on Kanacker's upbringing in PNG, and his intimate knowledge on culinary speciaities that were so popular there, Perhaps you are right.:censored: urp.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello uk

The pools of waterfall are a collection point of alluvial gold watered down from higher up the watershed. I would be exploring the tributaries above the waterfall trying to find the source of where the gold is coming from and looking for any deep potholes in the bedrock of the river I would be paying attention to any exposed dikes or quartz outcrops also.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow

Thanks for the info and tips.

Would do what you say but there's nothing left, it would seem that a certain gent from old Mexico has already been and done the damage and left his calling card - some empty coffee cups.................

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello UK my calling card is "Kilroy was here" A drawing of half as head and fingers peering over a wall. But there is not many here will understand the significance of that left these days.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello UK my calling card is "Kilroy was here" A drawing of half as head and fingers peering over a wall. But there is not many here will understand the significance of that left these days.

Crow

Those that do not appreciate irony and splendid dry humour, will more than likely never reach that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow methinks..........

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Interested Party in Uk

I am please you see the irony of it all.

As you can see many treasure hunters come from all manner of backgrounds. Mine was from exploration drilling for the mining industry. When I first started out as a desil mechanic entered up drilling water bores in Australia Later ended up on remote mining projects around the world. Earned good money and bank rolled many adventure searching for treasure. But it came with cost of no having family life. Hard to keep a family together when your away 3 months at time. In all ups and many downs if you cannot laugh at yourself and the fate before you, you will never survive. Companies I worked for you were expendable, the academics sneer at you and archeologists fear you. And every day could be your last. That is the lot of a seeker of fortune and glory.

Dame fortune is an evil ***** one day she lures you with her charms and the next she is trying to hack the crap out of you. The spin of the dice can make or break the most determined of men. I have been fortunate enough to have experienced both sides of that dice. And it can be hell of time between drinks so to speak. One thing I can assure you and many others here would say the same, Treasure hunting is not for the faint hearted.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow

Living on the edge is what you might call it then.

Not for every one, and it must be done with eyes wide open and a willingness to not know what one day to the other might bring.

Well then, it's what I'm after. Of course, this should be tempered by a large dose of realism, reasonableness and practicality. I note you said that one still needs to have the money coming in for there to be something to pay the bills with and fund the hunts.

But I bet you would never swap some of your experiences, feelings, characters you've met, places you've seen, for all the security that other steady careers can bring. I whole-heartedly agree in that those with delicate dispositions, would never last the pace. But in order to find out as to whether you are made from the stuff required, you really need to make that first step.

What I would like to ask a fella of your standing, is what separates a treasure hunter from a successful treasure hunter??
Preparation, resources, lady luck, lying, focusing on one particular area?
Is it different circumstances for each and every one of us?

Mr LM reckons you've hit the "jackpot" somewhere down the line and are now enjoying the fruits of your labour. Obviously from your posts, you are one of the more experienced and knowledgeable guys on here and have a wealth of know-how.

Please share your secret with those of us that are trying to start out.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello UK

I never had a steady career it was always beset by constant employment and unemployment due to the marked forces of the commodities market. For me the transition was not a large step to take. But for any one with a good career and steady long term job sadly I think your life is pretty much set in concrete. i have seen a few try and fail spectacularly.

Anyone wanting to experience this kind of life must be aware that 99 % will never achieve their anticipated success as they imagine. However each and every one of us has a different perception of Success. treasure hunting is fundamental need in all humans going back to the days when we were all hunters and gatherers, It is not just the lure of treasure that drives us. It is just the same emotion as a gambler waiting for his next big win. The rush of exhilaration that so many people in today society have lost and now live without ever really ever lived. Lost among mediocrity left behind from that big a beautiful wave called life descending into some weird survival mode of existence fading into the backwater of irreverence.

You can see that in the blank faces on any workday morning in the traffic or the subway. All Treasure hunters all failed seekers looking for some thing more beyond the confines of day to day life.

There is no set formula for success However some key qualities is Persistence, Passion and being realistic in what you want to achieve and most of all have the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances around you. Research and preparation are all key elements as well as a little luck.

If I was trying to start out I world start out very small, First understand what your interests is. For Some it is finding and researching shipwrecks. Others its looking for gold, Others it relic hunting or cache hunting and for those who like to punish themselves hunting down treasure legends. They have their good and bad points by all I guarantee you. Each in their own way requires research research and more research.

Remember from little things big things grow and a true treasure hunter learns his craft over time and years of study.

Crow

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UK'r you once asked "what does it feel like upon finding what you were after, Tayopa for example" Well as loa, Crow, and the others can tell you, it is a moment of deep satisfaction, then almost immediately up pops the question "what's the next project?"

You are emotionally hooked for life. You are an addict. I have several projects basically lined up after the Tayopa factor is finished. There is the Zimmerman ship, the lost Placer on the Yaqui which I have successfully located via sat service, but yet to set foot on, Naranjal, La Gloria Pan mine where I stood in front of the sealed portal with the two hand prints in the mud and didn't open it up- I have to go back and finish the job, I presume that it is just as I left it some 20 + years ago, the cave in the Bacatetes where the Yaqui have gold,& silver bars, guns, swords & Lances from the French intervention period of Mexico, and, and, also , ==========

It never ends, you may have successfully managed to calm your thoughts and are calmly sitting in the Patio drinking your coffee / tea, when an Indian arrives with personal data on Morgans loot of Panama and it's location next to ole British Honduras, and you are off again - this actually happened, sigh.

So facing the horrible truth and the grim results of the addiction, are you still interested?

I will be busy until my 150 th birthday, then I will slow down.

Don jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread