Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Columibia's lost city Teyuna

Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia to many is seen as the hub of lost cities in South America.

However Columbia has also its share of lost cities also. One such city was discovered many years with stone ancient ruins in the jungle in the extreme North of Columbia. It has been alleged artifact discovered and looted from the site was sold onto the black market.

Ciudad Perdida meaning in Spanish "Lost City") is now a protected archeological site of an ancient city in Columbias Sierra Nevada. It is believed to have been founded about 800 AD, some 650 years earlier than Machu Picchu in Peru. This location is also known as Buritaca and Teyuna.

Ciudad Perdida was "found" in 1972, when a group of local treasure looters found a series of stone steps rising up the mountainside and followed them to an abandoned city which they named "Green Hell" or "Wide Set". When gold figurines and ceramic urns from this city began to appear in the local black market, archaeologists headed by the director of the Instituto Colombiano de Antropologia reached the site in 1976 and completed reconstruction between 1976-1982.

It is believed Ciudad Perdida was probably the region's political and manufacturing center on the Burtitaca river valley and may have housed 2,000 to 8,000 people. It was apparently abandoned during the the time of conquestidors or perhaps be the influx of strange diseases flooding from the old world? Ciudad Perdida consists of a series of 169 stone terraces carved into the mountainside, a net of tiled roads and several small circular plazas. The entrance can only be accessed by a climb up some 1,200 stone steps through dense jungle. A French associate of mine made an amazing trek to the site a few years ago and took these amazing photographs of the site.

Lost City 055.jpg

la ciudad perdida de colombia.jpg

25 militaire cuidad perdida.jpg

To get there In 2005, tourist hikes became operational again and there have been no problems since then. The Colombian army actively patrols the area, which is now deemed to be very safe for visitors and there have not been any more kidnappings. For a 6 day return hike to the lost city, the cost is approximately US$300. The hike is about 44 km of walking in total, and requires a good level of fitness. The hike includes a number of river crossings and steep climbs and descents.

DSC_6036.JPG

Today visiting the site is moderately safe as in past the site suffered a series of kidnappings of westerners by various guerrilla groups. However even today the site is is swarming with Colombian army personnel not just there to protect the site from looting but to protect visitors as well.

As interesting this yarn is my friends the question remains to the asked is there other lost cities out there in the jungles of Columbia waiting to be discovered with lost treasures?

Perhaps on day an poster will show us things simply amazing?

Crow

Last edited:

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Once again Señor Crow, your storytelling brings out the imagination in all of us. I have to believe there are several "lost" cities, not only in Columbia, but many other Countries as well.

Question for you: are there any treasures/legends you've personally found that can be discussed here? I know this is a touchy question and completely understand if you'd rather keep this personal. Maybe there's a way to tell the tale without giving up private information? Just figured I'd ask.

Either way, I wish you and your fine feathered "newbie" a happy & safe New Year!

All the best-
J.A.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again Señor Crow, your storytelling brings out the imagination in all of us. I have to believe there are several "lost" cities, not only in Columbia, but many other Countries as well.

Question for you: are there any treasures/legends you've personally found that can be discussed here? I know this is a touchy question and completely understand if you'd rather keep this personal. Maybe there's a way to tell the tale without giving up private information? Just figured I'd ask.

Either way, I wish you and your fine feathered "newbie" a happy & safe New Year!

All the best-
J.A.

J.A.A Sadly we are in an era of political correctness.

As for any discoveries its up any relevant authorities to disclose any assumption of guilt. One is not a treasure hunter but a "researcher" who happens to research treasure legends and its best to leave it at that.

You my friend have a happy new year also.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias Senor Crow…….there is no question there is much to be found…….returning from the Andes city of Ambato yesterday, driving through the montanas, there is evidence of ancient civilizations in many places…….old terraced side hills no longer in use remain…….ruins abound……..
Feliz y prospero ano para todo…...

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Crow-
Then we will leave it at that. Again, no disrespect or political incorrectness meant by my question. It never hurts to ask.

Keep the yarns coming!!

All the best-
J.A.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Ciudad Perdida located near Santa Marta, Colombia is very much on the tourist trail nowadays. Student groups even go there regularly. It's a hell of a 3 day hike but very much worth it. Wish I could get my metal detector in there but it is a "protected" site.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello perdidgringo indeed things have changed much since the problems of 1990s. Ciudad Perdida is not the only site in Columbia that is worth investigating also.

Crow

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Crow. I've been trying to find some worthy areas near where I live in Bogota but it's been proving more difficult than other places I've lived. Petty crime/safety is a real problem here and metal detectors are still a very rare sight. Thus, remaining inconspicuous as a "gringo" swinging a detector is difficult at best. Hoping to eventually meet up with some fellow detectorists here in order to practice the hobby. More safety in numbers.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Crow. I've been trying to find some worthy areas near where I live in Bogota but it's been proving more difficult than other places I've lived. Petty crime/safety is a real problem here and metal detectors are still a very rare sight. Thus, remaining inconspicuous as a "gringo" swinging a detector is difficult at best. Hoping to eventually meet up with some fellow detectorists here in order to practice the hobby. More safety in numbers.

Hello peridgringo

I can understand how isolated you feel. However I think your at the cusp of something great. In a region where there are very few detetcorists.

It might be worth trying To start a "metal detectoring club of Bogota and through networking get allowed on possible construction sites in city itself, Many sites cleared for new construction was on old colonial sites. Since most South America Government do not really care much to be reminded of their Spanish colonial heritage, generally they do not care much about those artifacts. Make sure you club has a code of conduct in reporting pre-Columbian artifacts. And present yourself and the club as an asset to the local archeological community. And club has an interest in history of Bogotá. I am sure it will attract like minded people who in turn may assist in identify place for the club to search through network. As a club you can even offer your services searching peoples property.

Most all never ever present yourselves as a treasure hunter. but as local historians. I am sure you will be seen in a positive light if you do that you will open doors.

Crow

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Crow! Excellent advice. There are a couple of Metal Detecting shops in Bogota and was told that no clubs exist in Bogota at this time (however they said that there were in Cali and Medellin). I might just make another visit to those stores and put the word out that I'd like to start a club.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello perdidgringo

Ya never know you might be the spark of some thing big in Bogota. I am sure some thing will come of it.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread