New guy from Northern Indiana

Bucket

Jan 31, 2010
Mishawaka
I have wanted to metal detect for years and finally bought a detector. I have just finished reading Michael Chaplan's Urban Treasure Hunter, watched a pile of YouTube's, read a bunch of forum posts and now I am chompin at the bit to get started.

I was hoping to get some advice on local parks though. I see that Mishawaka has permits available for their parks and plan to get one, but I can't find any info on St. Joe or Elkhart Co. parks, can anyone point me in the right direction.

I am not a big rush as I intend on hitting my backyard, as well as friends/family yards as soon as the ground thaws a bit in order to get a feel for detecting in general and really get to know my MD.

I am also curious about this snow pile/bank hunting. I saw a post where a guy found an Ipod? You go in parking lots or what?

Thanks for any pointers/help you can provide!

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from another Michiana detectorist.

There are quite a few of us from the Elkhart, South Bend, and Mishawaka area here that get together from time to time during the summer and do an inpromtu hunt. Usually we just throw the idea out here on the Indiana forums and see what works out for us to setup a date to hunt together. No big formalities involved. As far as a permit for Elkhart Parks, I don't think any are needed, as my detecting buddies and I were in a park and a park employee asked us how we were doing and never mentioned anything else to us. I do think that St. Joe County Parks require a permit, but I will let someone else from the area weigh in and clarify that.

Good Luck and hope to see you hunt with us sometime this summer.

DJH

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi Bucket!

Welcome to this fantabulous hobby!

I've hunted with Digging Jimmy Hoffa and a few others. We do have fun! but be prepared, DJH loves to talk, so keep your headphones on at all times when in his proximity...trust me on this one. :laughing7:

(DJH, ya know I love ya and needed a good Smart A@@ fix!)

I need to get out and dig...soon, I'm wayyy too pissy ...need to feed the treasure beast!

maybe I'll bust out the MD and hit the sledding parks!

HH Bucket

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Be prepared, DJH loves to talk, so keep your headphones on at all times when in his proximity...trust me on this one. :laughing7:

(DJH, ya know I love ya and needed a good Smart A@@ fix!)

I need to get out and dig...soon, I'm wayyy too pissy ...need to feed the treasure beast!

maybe I'll bust out the MD and hit the sledding parks!

HH Bucket

The only one who talks alot is Vibes. Her talking makes a mosquito in the headphones a pleasant sound to ones ears.

Vibes, Greg and I got out on Saturday, Jan. 23rd for a short hunt just to take the edge off. Didn't find to much. I ended up with 13cents in clad and a pouch full of junque. The ground was superb for digging that day. The shovel slid right into the dirt with the greatest of ease.

Later and HH
DJH

OP
OP
B

Bucket

Jan 31, 2010
Mishawaka
Hmmm... lets see, 1300 posts compared to 280 posts? I wonder who really does all the talkin'? :)

Thanks for the welcome! You seem like a pretty fun crowd.

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket said:
Hmmm... lets see, 1300 posts compared to 280 posts? I wonder who really does all the talkin'? :)

Thanks for the welcome! You seem like a pretty fun crowd.

My point exactly. It's a good thing I use headphones, otherwise I wouldn't be able to differentiate the electrical interference and her chatter :laughing7:

Again welcome to detecting in Michiana

DJH

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
yeah, yeah, yeah....I chalk it up to occupational hazard!

Ahem, I'll let the finds do the talkin'...right DJH?

Speaking of such...when ya guys heading out next?

I'm heading to Mississippi in March to do sum detectin'

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI Bucket !! Quick , Get out now while you still have a chance.
Just kiding . Welcome to the Sport! Extractor

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Speaking of such...when ya guys heading out next?

I'm heading to Mississippi in March to do sum detectin'

Heading out when the ground thaws a bit. This old boy can't stand the cold to much. Yeah I know, call me a wimp all you want to.

Have fun in Ol' Miss and don't forget to post the goodies.

Good Luck
DJH

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
[/quote]

Vibes, Greg and I got out on Saturday, Jan. 23rd for a short hunt just to take the edge off.

Later and HH
DJH
[/quote]

...What, no love for the Devl? I remember that day was nice...Max had me doing dishes or somethin. Hey Bucket, welcome to the hobby!

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
well boys it looks like I'll just hit the open road in March with no real destination in mind except to get below the freeze line. I created a Facebook page if anyone wants to follow my adventure. Each day I'll upload pics of the area I hunted and what I found:)

it's Treasure Travels With Tori

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! That is the first, I've ever heard of a permit needed for a park in Indiana. I guess in MD'ing anything is possible...anyway, welcome. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread