CZ 20 Coming-a few QUESTIONS please

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi GTzer, First, this is the J.W. Fisher section and they make :Pulse induction detectors.

I am a user of the CZ-20 and haven't changed it to a 21 as there is no need for me to do so. I have my PP button smeared with silicon sealant to stop any leaks and I never have to use the PP button for pinpointing or GB. I GB by placing it in Auto and bobbing the coil. I sometimes hunt in Autotune too. Where there isn't much iron trash, I consider the CZ-20/21 equal to an Excal in depth.

As for the battery door, I believe the door was changed on the 21 and don't know if they are the same size if you had to replace it. The door to the 1280 is the same size. I use Silicone grease to the gasket on my CZ20 and never had a leak in the battery compartment. I don't over tighten the knobs either. Fisher used to send free gaskets for the water detectors but First Texas now might charge for them.

As for the bell tone, I never heard it. But not all saltwater beaches are the same as for salt content or black sand quantities even within a few feet. Waves carry salt and the changing minerals can over load a detector in the shallows. I have not had this problem with the CZ-20 or Excal but did with the Tiger Shark and 1280 which are better for fresh water for that reason. Though I have dived with all four detectors in the salt where the water is deeper and no leaks ever.

As for prices to convert a CZ-20 to a 21, you have to call Fisher Labs about that. I know they won't repair the CZ-20's anymore and convert them to 21's.

Hope this helps,

Sandman

OP
OP
G

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,
Thanks for the reply & info. I'll move the post to the proper spot.
I was hoping that you would chime in as a lot of the material that I read and referred to was from your posts and discussions.
The bell tone thread dealt with a unit that worked perfect on land but made a bell tone (only) entering and immersed (in saltwater) that interferred with GB/tuning and making the MD useless. There was a discussion for remedy that was about-board & coil-alignment. I need to find it-as there was a tip on testing a CZ 20. Read too much to quick w/o saving.
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the coil of any detector, CZ 20 included it can produce the louder noise you call a bell tone. It depends on how the tone is generated by its components when the coils circuit is overloaded. This can happen in shallow saltwater as a wave washes over the coil. OR it could be the overload tone you hear when you pass the coil over a large shallow item. The manual explains this. When I always heard this tone, I hoped it was the lost Rolex everyone told me was lost near here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread