It appears to be a statue.

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I am looking for information about this piece that I found.

block1.jpg block2.jpg block3.jpg block4.jpg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a stone that should have been left alone. It a marker. When you move it you should have made a compass on it. So that you could tell the angles and other information. It's part of an old system that works with other stones.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was already moved. It was not in the ground.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area in which you found it in. Was it on the top of a hill?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ok, they get moved. I own many stones that were being sold by rock collectors. Most don't what they have. If you want to learn more about this. Read threads about signs and symbols of treasure. The Spanish and others used this type of work. There are many things on the stone that works with the sun and angles.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid that I agree with theothers, it's ust a rock. sorry

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree that it's only a rock.
Looks carved. The way the right angles wrap around the side. Nice find

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of architectural stone. Possibly part of a "reveal", like that found around arched doorways and windows in older stone buildings.
Fireplaces as well. What is the history of the area where you found it ?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out more information it's hard to say. Do you have any other stones to show from the same area? The angle of your pictures will help also. If it's a stone of the Priest it will be used with light. Some are made to be seen from a distance and some up close. Here is an example of their work. Even through a train eye can see what is showing. When the sun moves across the stone it will show more 20180624_200058.jpeg 20180624_200124.jpeg 20180624_200233.jpeg

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no some hiker, but my opinion is just as probable as another's at this point. As for pictures of Tayopa, I woud be a fool to post them, even though I found it,The Mexican govt has declared it a patamonial of Mexico, until the clarify it I will not post a apicture of it, Let them find it.

Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't all of the treasure hunters get together and change some rules. We do all the work just to let the Government come in and take it.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good stonemason doesn't leave visible chisel marks on his work.....unless the client was to ask for a "rough stone" finish of course.
And old/very old stone works and even statues eroded by exposure to the elements can appear "natural" to the less observant critic.
So even if such a stone (and this example is likely from a demolished building somewhere in the poster's area) did exhibit signs, when new, of which tools were used, weathering could have worn any such marks away long before the building was torn down.

Here's an example of that type of stonework......

-Arbroath Abbey Revealed Archways.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Let me turn it up side down. Nope still don't see it.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.some hiker, we are not talking about architecture, but figures. there they rough lt, work the shape, then the details,I

There are no rough cuts
i agree with you on the stone masonry, on the first pass.they do not finish the statues l

l

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I am looking for information about this piece that I found.

View attachment 1585243 View attachment 1585244 View attachment 1585249 View attachment 1585250

Seems that we can all agree that the chunk of rock in your photos is definitely not a "statue" of any kind.
However molgreg, the first and last photos IMO, do show enough evidence of deliberate shaping and smoothing on at least two adjacent sides to identify it as a cap or corner stone.
So I will ask again.....what is the history of the area where you found this rock on the surface of the ground ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread