Pre WWII European Gold Rings - Scrap or Not Scrap?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
OK, so I have these 6 wedding band-type gold rings. I'm pretty sure they are English and pre-WWII. The big one on the far left is 8k, the rest are 9k. Four of them are marked "R & J", which I think may stand for Romeo and Juliet.

EuropeanGoldRings.jpg

Anyway, what I was wondering is if these things are worth any more than their intrinsic value, or are they just scrap gold?

I took them to a local jeweler, and of course I was offered scrap price. I informed them that I was not some meth-head looking to cop a fix and did not want to sell them for scrap - I just wanted an opinion on them. Again the employee informed me they only pay for scrap. I think jewelers probably only refine the more common stuff they buy at scrap price and put back vintage or designer items like these to sell themselves for way over melt value.

So, are these just scrap, or does their point of origin and age make them anymore valuable? Thanks in advance for any advice!

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
brendan1414 said:
i would certainly buy one, these things are sweet. interested in selling? =P

Are you looking to actually wear one, or are you just a collector? Because they are all different sizes.

Truthfully, these things kind of creep me out and I'll tell you why. I got to wondering why the guy I got them from would have 6 old European wedding bands, then I remembered his dad was in WWII. For some reason I think these may have been stripped from the bodies of British soldiers.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
savant365 said:
Ok that is kinda creepy :o

I know for a fact that another old man who lives around here brought back all kinds of plundered rings from WWII, but most of them belonged to the Germans. This dude took part in the invasion of Normandy. His grandson told me the other soldiers in his unit called him "Tomahawk Tommy" because he carried a hatchet that hung from his flak jacket. He was stripping gold rings from bodies left and right. If he came across a body that was swollen up and he was unable to slide off the ring, he just whipped out the hatchet and lopped off the whole finger. He supposedly brought back a jelly jar full of gold rings. Spoils of war, I suppose.

I could be wrong about these particular rings, and I really hope I am, but why would a guy who I was told fought "door to door, house to house" in the European Theater end up with 6 gold rings of all different sizes from that time period? Creepy as it may be, it's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
savant365 said:
Ok that is kinda creepy :o

I know for a fact that another old man who lives around here brought back all kinds of plundered rings from WWII, but most of them belonged to the Germans. This dude took part in the invasion of Normandy. His grandson told me the other soldiers in his unit called him "Tomahawk Tommy" because he carried a hatchet that hung from his flak jacket. He was stripping gold rings from bodies left and right. If he came across a body that was swollen up and he was unable to slide off the ring, he just whipped out the hatchet and lopped off the whole finger. He supposedly brought back a jelly jar full of gold rings. Spoils of war, I suppose.

I could be wrong about these particular rings, and I really hope I am, but why would a guy who I was told fought "door to door, house to house" in the European Theater end up with 6 gold rings of all different sizes from that time period? Creepy as it may be, it's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.
As creepy as it may sound it is plausible my self I wouldn't think about it to much but this is coming from a guy who found a keep sake urn MD'ing and has it sitting on the table by my chair lol and if it bothers you that much I would scrap them you would probably get more for scrap then if you sold them out right unless you had documents stating that they are from WWII then maybe you could get more who knows?
Just my 2 scoops.
drewan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread