mc223

Greenie
Jan 15, 2009
Riverton Ks.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
M-6
Repost From Roll Call Thread:

Well I grew up kinda between Baxter Springs and Galena. I have since moved to Wisconsin, but I can't help wanting to be back in Kansas. Especially when I look outside to see 2 feet of snow and the temp right now is -9°!
There are a lot of good places in SE Kansas. Baxter Springs was the site of Quantrills massacre(just north of Brush Creek on the East side of HWY 69/400. I have found a few relics of the battle including pistol parts, a few cannon balls and some unfired Spencer cartridges. I owned the adjoining property to the south of the battle site for a time and found lots of musket balls and misc pieces and parts off wagons etc.
Galena was a big mining town back in it's day. It is now a superfund site, so you need to hurry before it all is reclaimed. There are still a lot of really interesting yards in Galena and a lot of vacant lots. Schermerhorn park just south of Galena is still in use and has been a regular swimming and adventure park since the early days of Galena. Within the park is the site of an old Boy Scout camp that was used for a lot of years. There are caves on the bluff overlooking Shoal Creek where my friends and I would play. I never had much money when I was a kid but I bet I lost something at Schermerhorn Park. Happy Hunting!

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found lots of silver in the park over the years. Saw a guy detecting last year near Spring river near 69 hwy in a hugh field just outside of Baxter, he said that he found civil war relics near the river along with arrowheads and old coins all across the field as there had been some old houses and some kind of a general store about 100 years ago. A few more weeks and the ground should be ready to detect. Hopefully will have some good luck. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread