Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deader than a cheap cigar!! I'm not from your area, more SE KS.
Good to see somebody posting on here. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why but most hunters don't use the States forums.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I don't know why but most hunters don't use the States forums.

Except for the Illini boys.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
My son is coming back from the war to Ft Riley sometime this month. I plan on taking a three day weekend to drive up and see him some Friday or Saturday. I'm sure he will be more interested in seeing his gal friend than me, so I could stop somewhere around there and hunt for a day or two. I would have to do some quick research on the area. As far as the forum being dead you are right. I think thats due to the KC area clubs having a good website of their own. I've tried a couple of time to post some finds on here, though it seems not to generate much interest. I will post the next few and see what happens.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
if anyone would needs to know above mentioned club website send a message and I will send you the link. The MODS on this forum will delete the post if it appears there.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved out of the state of Kansas but this forum had died before I moved. Has anyone found anything good in kansas?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
I guess that depends on what you consider good stuff. Civil war relics, indian war relics. about everything you find anywhere else. The coins arent as old as other parts of the country. I only recently found my first large cent in Kansas, an 1853. There is good stuff out there.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
there is goof stuff here, mainly along the trails that passed through Kansas

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
My son in law and step daughter live in Howard in Elk County, and he is a decent fellow, but it seems that in his area, where there are literally hundreds of old homesites, that all the landowners trust nobody, and there are almost none who will let anyone detect or hunt arrowheads. I live in Oklahoma and don't have much trouble finding a place to search, but a few cache stories are on property that is nearly impossible to access.
It is a sad state of affairs indeed when someone claims exclusive rights to land.[size=12pt]When you are born, the land is already here. When you die the land is still here. Who owns what? It seems to me that the land owns us.[/size]

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
a buddy of mine has known a guy for years, and he asked to detect some of his property. the guy flat refused, he's had problems with people 4 wheeling on his land and tearing it up. I can understand that.
a lot of people are leery about MDing and can't understand why we do it. I've had some tell me they don;'t want any kind of hunting on their property. one actually told me, he thought I was scouting for deer hunting land and wouldn't allow it. another guy followed me, and tried to hide while doing it. some people are funny. the only thing you can do is move on to another spot. JMO

sanford66

Dec 29, 2009
Everest, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Atchison Ks., the most haunted city in Kansas. I'm about 30-45 minutes from Holton, in fact i used to work at Alamo before they closed. Theres a few good old home sites up around here i hunt for relics in brown county. I also like to hunt for arrowheads, have a couple of spots i like to hunt for those. Let me know if you want to meet up in the fields sometime! Joseph

OP
OP
samuel_schumaker

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Couldnt believe it, one of the whole 2 people i know that metal detect in the area came into my shop today with a recent find from last week. A US belt plate from the civil war. I couldnt believe it, found on an old farmstead in jackson county area, house is no longer standing, i would have never guessed one of these could be found around here. It wasnt in too bad of shape and was only about 3 inches deep. Hard telling how it got lost in the old yard but i was just amazed.The guy is just beginner and has only tried this a few times.

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Samuel, well... how many Civil War veterans were there? Add to this the ability for a "belt" to be worn to hold up a person's britches. Many belts have been worn through the years. This was a belt buckle. Not uncommon once upon a time... but now exceedingly rare. Awesome find. Such a buckle could be almost anywhere when the belt was eventually lost or discarded. There are so few and these buckles are highly sought after. The location can be easily explained away by the probability of a civil war vet. having lived there for a spell. Wonder what else could be there in the area? One mans trash from the 1870's or 80's is another mans treasure now. :icon_thumright:

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam from the Logan kansas area far north center of the state don't spend allot of time on the states site. usallly to cold and frozen this time of the year to metal detect, do allot of research and planing this time of year. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
samuel_schumaker

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
I finally got brave enough to start digging the lower tones like pull tabs and nickels if they appear to have a little depth and i found a nickel from 49 from my yard. Not that thats anything other then 5 cents but it was nice to know that i could dig something with that sound and crosshair pattern that wasnt a pull tab. I just cant figure out if there just isnt any silver in my yard or if im not getting enough depth. I have found wheats from 1927 all the way up to modern day pennys. Also found dimes as old as 65 thru the 70's. Also quarters. But by gosh if i cannot find a silver to save my life. Maybe i cant get deep enough with the factory pattern program, but i wouldnt think they would be much deeper than the wheats and most of them have been around 6 inches

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
one thing I found with my etrac, if it's not making a nice tone, it's just not there. i wouldn't worry about not finding silver in your yard, try some other places. look for places off the beaten path. I drive up and down country roads and look for the roads that are maybe a dead end with old houses, and start asking for permission to md. good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread