Lexington Parks

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New guy here so don't be too harsh on me if I overlooked something simple... :)

I keep seeing links and posts about HB352 online, but this is only about state parks correct?

12RS HB352

I have not seen anything at the links below that restricts the use of metal detectors or "digging" in city parks. Is it safe to MD in city parks without harassment from officials as long as I am being respectful of others, the park and not leaving holes?

Municode

LexingtonKy.gov : Park Policies

I work from home and occasionally have some free time during the day, and want to take full advantage of the city parks during non peak hours if possible. Especially when I am only a few minutes away from a handful of parks.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3
New guy here so don't be too harsh on me if I overlooked something simple... :)

I keep seeing links and posts about HB352 online, but this is only about state parks correct?

12RS HB352

I have not seen anything at the links below that restricts the use of metal detectors or "digging" in city parks. Is it safe to MD in city parks without harassment from officials as long as I am being respectful of others, the park and not leaving holes?

Municode

LexingtonKy.gov : Park Policies

I work from home and occasionally have some free time during the day, and want to take full advantage of the city parks during non peak hours if possible. Especially when I am only a few minutes away from a handful of parks.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

I would make contact with someone at the city or city hall who would be in a position to give a good answer

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't had an issue detecting in the parks close to me. I use my handheld digging tool and never a shovel of any size, unless the park can get me into a wooded area.

OP
OP
G

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Swift. The last thing I want to do is get a fine or worse while pulling clad while I learn to use my MD.

Dirt, I see you are from Nicholasville. Do you come to any of the Lexington parks? Any problems at those?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Lexington does in fact have an ordinace that prohibits digging in City owned parks. You can use your detector for surface finds only. The policy is sporadically enforced though, ususally by Park personnel not local police. Try to establish a relationship with someone that works at the particular park(s) that you're interested in, that would help.

I wouldn't even bother digging at a local park, there's so much more to Lexington than digging in the worked out parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread