Cant hunt school property without a 1,000,000 insurance policy.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey. What I mean we are allowed to hunt school property as long as there is no school in session or functions. We also do not get on new fields or enclosed areas with lock. And yes we have permission. Gee..just trying to help. Sound like he wanted to hunt and older school area. Sorry to get you so upset.
HH..Miner

When I say we have permission what I'm saying we do ask. Sometimes words to paper or this phone do not come out right.lol. Like I said we have a lot of old schools here they don't play on like old football fields and such. But did in the past. Just was going to tell him some old schools to help him out.

Miner.

2oldbones

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, Someone is jerking your chain! Just go on and hunt it. In forty years of detecting I have never asked permission to hunt school property.
Was what the Pike County board told me today asking permission to hunt a school in which the principle required me to do before she would allow me. Guy at the board said he didnt care that I hunted it, but I would have to have a 1,000,000 dollar insurance policy before I could be on school property during non school events.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Update on this. Here is a reply sent from the principle via email today of me asking again and pointing out the fact that the property always has parents and kids seen playing on the school equipment during after school hours and during school break and if they were required to have insurance.

"Thank you for emailing me asking permission to dig metal on our school grounds. I must abide by the school policy (which is the law) and give you permission only if you provide the insurance policy. I wanted to have my baby shower here at the school and if I had proceeded then I too would have had to pay the $1,000,000 insurance policy which is around $200 at both insurance places I called. I found another location for my venue. We do not allow birthday parties, showers, use of facilities, etc. except to those who pay the insurance policy. The little league has their own insurance policy. As for people who use the track or playground, that is off limits but if they trespass then they are responsible for their own injuries. I am attaching the "Use of Facilities" and "Rental" Policies for the Pike County School System. I have spoken with assistant superintendent regarding this issue. You are welcome to call him as well."

They actually sent me school rental contract policy forms. :icon_scratch:

REDICULOUS!!! I would kindly tell them that you pay School, City, County, and State Taxes :tongue3: which fund there very existence and revenue. That is your insurance policy. Not counting if you have children or grandchildren attending their school which costs and involves you even more on a personal level.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most states hunting school property with out permission will get you in trouble. It isn't public property it is owned by the school district and they set the rules for access.

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally go on the principle of "nobody cares till you ask" when it comes to most public property (except for those I know detecting is not allowed) and hunt it outside of normal hours of use. In the past when I've asked, red tape started rolling out. I don't ask, and everybody pretty much just goes about their own business, unless they are curious if I am finding anything. Somebody might say something one day, then I'll see what I have to deal with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread