Very Addicted but Still A Newbie

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Hello fellow treasure hunters, and greetings from the good ole state Capitol! My name is Amy and even though I only have upwards of six months with this hobby I am extremely into this and simply a sponge for info, maps, advice, helpful hints...anything! I've mainly been hunting Frankfort and just a splash of Lexington but am having trouble finding new places to explore for fear of breaking laws. Any ideas would be appreciated!

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This applies to anywhere. Playgrounds, either school yards evening now or parks. Where ever people gather.

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
In the same situation ( try talking to the older wiser folks In your area ex old schools swimming holes picnic grounds ) have a chat at a coffee shop they always love to reminisce off there days.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I am just digging clad coins and pull tabs, you never know what you will find. This pinged as a dime at 4" and the first week out I found an 1881 Indian head penny in the parks volleyball court. Just goes to show you never know what you will find or where.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130828_101043.png
    ForumRunner_20130828_101043.png
    208 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
amzster08

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Nice find! We found this today close to our apartment complex where a house burnt down. Mustve liked toy guns

ForumRunner_20130828_210500.png

ForumRunner_20130828_210533.png

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Hello fellow treasure hunters, and greetings from the good ole state Capitol! My name is Amy and even though I only have upwards of six months with this hobby I am extremely into this and simply a sponge for info, maps, advice, helpful hints...anything! I've mainly been hunting Frankfort and just a splash of Lexington but am having trouble finding new places to explore for fear of breaking laws. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Have you given the Peaks Mill area any thought?

Ryno

Aug 30, 2013
Boone County, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started recently, about 3 months ago, and starting asking permission in a local residential area where the homes are 80+ years old. Found a nice 1912 Barber dime and 1921 Buffalo Nickel. Now just waiting for some rain before hit the yards again. I am in Northern Ky

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking into getting into the hobby and wonder the same thing, Where around here is it alright to go? I was born and raised in Frankfort so I assume u know it. Places ive thought about hitting was the parks of course but have you looked into going on Fort Hill by plaza hotel, Im sure people has hit it a lot though. I know elkhorn creek pretty good so there is a few spots. You can try Keebler WMA in peaks mill and out toward Owenton,not sure if you are allowed there but ive hunted squirels on them before. Check out this video on youtube (Search Frankfort Ky Craw)and you will see what downtown Frankfort used to look like,maybe u can find places there to go. The old distilleries in Millville I would love to go but dout they would let ya. I can go on and on about places I would want to go :)
If someone that lives around here can let me know if these places are ok to go that would be great. I have 7 acres but that wont keep me busy for long. I have been reading and learning more about this hobby before I buy a detector so any help would be great. Thanks

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Im looking into getting into the hobby and wonder the same thing, Where around here is it alright to go? I was born and raised in Frankfort so I assume u know it. Places ive thought about hitting was the parks of course but have you looked into going on Fort Hill by plaza hotel, Im sure people has hit it a lot though. I know elkhorn creek pretty good so there is a few spots. You can try Keebler WMA in peaks mill and out toward Owenton,not sure if you are allowed there but ive hunted squirels on them before. Check out this video on youtube (Search Frankfort Ky Craw)and you will see what downtown Frankfort used to look like,maybe u can find places there to go. The old distilleries in Millville I would love to go but dout they would let ya. I can go on and on about places I would want to go :)
If someone that lives around here can let me know if these places are ok to go that would be great. I have 7 acres but that wont keep me busy for long. I have been reading and learning more about this hobby before I buy a detector so any help would be great. Thanks

7 acres would last me a lifetime! Buy a detector and learn as you go, you'll have no regrets except maybe that you'd started sooner. Best of luck.

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im very hesitant an buying one and only using it once in my yard then not being able to go places with it. i don't know anybody that does it nor have i used one before. i really like they looks of the garret 250 and the at pro but im having trouble pulling the trigger.

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some one just listed a 250 in Indy for $100 on Craig's list today, it might already be gone

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hitting the woods at Capital View Park, found a few things, hit the swimming hole and the river bank, but way to much trash to get a good hit....

OP
OP
amzster08

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
We started with the ACE 350 and its Double D search coil is extremely versatile and efficient especially for a beginner. I imagine the 250 being the same just a little less depth. The AT Pro is like a step up from the 350 and worth the investment I would say if you want something good in different terrains grass, water, sand etc. Ive recently purchased the GTI 2500 by Garrett and love it but it is made for depth as most concentric coils are. So do your research and figure out what suits you. Every one starts somewhere! If you end up enjoying it whatever you buy wont be your last detector trust me!

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im surprised you can go to capitol view, id figure them bikers would run and tell on you right away. Ill prolly just start with the 250 just to get my feet wet,i can always sell to buy better or get someone else into it if i like it. Thanks a lot for the advise. Take care.

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met a couple, but I was way off their bike paths in the brush so they didn't bother me to much. No it really doesn't matter what kind of machine you get, just something so you can start swinging. You can always upgrade, but once you get use to your machine, you can find anything you want, aluminum seems to be mine, hahaha... Good luck

2oldbones

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
With where your at, any of the houses in the oldest parts would be fair game. That town has been there a long time and there are lots of places to hunt just within a one mile of downtown. As a matter of fact, the area near the site of the old prison should be very productive. Good luck and welcome to the world of treasure hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread