harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The proposed new high school in lex in the winchester rd area falls into hamburg place farms old land. Formerly owned by the madden family !! If the weather was nicer when the city aquires the land before destruction would there be anyone interested ?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I was under the impression that the new school was going to be on the "downtown" side of Winchester Road...somewhere before New Circle (on the left) if you're inbound Winchester Road? Where have you heard that's it's going to be? I'm sure they're changed their mind on locating it more than once! Either way, sure, any thing along Winchester road can't be bad, I'm in.

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
I've heard 1970 winchester rd as proposed site. In my mind I figure the extravagant madden parties were held on the hamburg grounds. Don't get me wrong I know the majority of the previous farms grounds lie underneath lowes walmart etc. In my research john madden had over 1200 acres most people never realize that there's a horse burial ground in hamburg ! That was moved from original location ! Checkout google maps and the history button over this area ( find the old track )

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I guess technically that part of Winchester Road is Hamburg. My 1870's map shows a few homes scattered about that area. When did the Madden's come to be in the Hamburg area?

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
John madden sold the horse hamburg around the turn of century for 40,000 and bought 1200 acre along winchester pike ( roughly 2 square miles )

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That's great info. I need to pull a later map and see what structures existed in that time frame. Any idea if the city has already purchased the land?

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
Yes land has been purchased 49 acres 1970 winchester rd. scheduled to be opened by August 2017 :) also new elementary school already approved for 1881 deerhaven lane ( backside of polo club )

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any idea which 49 acres? The PVA map shows the parcel at 367 acres.

image-3471773612.jpg

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looked a little further and found a couple photos that help narrow it down. Hopefully image quality isn't too bad. These came from my phone.

image-1685050749.jpg

image-2211630421.jpg

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
In the goggle maps history it appears there is still a portion of what would have been a horse track.

image-594601720.jpg

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got a chance to pull it up on my computer. You are right about the remains of the track separated by what is now Sir Barton Way. I didn't look too far into the age of the track because the 49 acres doesn't extend that far. Hoping to get a little more time to look into this over the weekend.

49 Acres - 1970 Winchester Road.PNG

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
The owner listed on the pva site is Bill gatton has a huge car dealership in Bristol Tennessee !! For all the other acres he has not sold yet ??

OP
OP
harris1

harris1

Mar 8, 2013
lexington ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/ace 250
I believe the area being developed now is for the new apt complex ! The preposed area for school is the next lot between the house and the area being developed into apts. Thats just my theory if u look at pic 5

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense to me considering the terrain work would probably be put out for bid. Highly unlikely that construction would begin this soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread