Coming to KY.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ky Ed
  • 1 Post By Tom_in_CA

Thread: Coming to KY.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Nov 2013
    Belleville, MI.
    AT PRO Cabela's Gold series ( made just for Cabela's
    12
    1 times
    Metal Detecting

    Coming to KY.

    Hello everyone, I am Dave from MI. and love to metal detect, and plan on visiting and camp on state land.
    can someone fill me in on the laws for state land finds in your beautiful state. any help would be great
    Thanks
    Dave
    Thanks
    Dave - KC8RQH
    Happy Huntng

  2. #2
    us
    Relic hunter

    Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    1,722
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    Hey Dave, there are some really nice places to stay here in Kentucky on State land, plenty to see with History throughout and the wildlife walking throughout the parks, but Metal Detecting on any State land will probably find you in jail and the new laws will NOT even permit you to metal detect the city parks.

  3. #3

    Dec 2013
    Evansville, Indiana
    Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
    123
    50 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by redly846 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am Dave from MI. and love to metal detect, and plan on visiting and camp on state land.
    can someone fill me in on the laws for state land finds in your beautiful state. any help would be great
    Thanks
    Dave
    Where at in KY are you staying? I've just right across the river in Indiana, so if you are in the Henderson/Owensboro area maybe we could go hunting.

  4. #4
    us
    Jan 2010
    Louisville, Ky
    Minelab
    32
    7 times
    I talked to Elaine Walker, State Commissioner of the State Parks, And after many meetings, has agrees to a trial, metal detecting , in E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville Ky. I have a permission letter that I can Email you so no one will bother you while you hunt. This is the only state park we can hunt in at this present time. We went before the Senate Committee to get permission to hunt in this Park. After this trial is over, we may be able to hunt another. We can only hope. Some of the Park rangers may threaten you with arrest as they don't even know we are allowed to metal detect in E.P. Tom Sawyer park. If you want a copy, please let me know and I will be glad to email you one. Thanks Ky. Ed
    patiodadio likes this.

  5. #5

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10101 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova treasure View Post
    .... but Metal Detecting on any State land will probably find you in jail and the new laws will NOT even permit you to metal detect the city parks.
    Nova-treasure, I realize this post of yours is old, but .... if you happen to read this thread again:

    Where, pray-tell, are you getting this information that state laws subrogate down to even city-level parks ? I believe you are mistaken. Yes there was some archie or two in KY trying to SAY that, but they were/are mis-informed. I can link you to a discussion thread on this, if you like, where the issue was put to rest.
    patiodadio likes this.

  6. #6

    Nov 2015
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Nova-treasure, I realize this post of yours is old, but .... if you happen to read this thread again:

    Where, pray-tell, are you getting this information that state laws subrogate down to even city-level parks ? I believe you are mistaken. Yes there was some archie or two in KY trying to SAY that, but they were/are mis-informed. I can link you to a discussion thread on this, if you like, where the issue was put to rest.
    i have not been able to find any current info on this issue the old info stated that the City of Louisville Banned metal detecting in city parks. and that ban was still in effect in 2012..... do you have some documentation showing that this is not so?? I have just ordered my first metal detector and want to know what the laws really are and it's difficult to tell online.

    thanks in advance for any help

  7. #7
    us
    Feb 2014
    KY
    Whites 4000D Garrett ATPro
    577
    588 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have been detecting a city park in a small town in KY. The park is right beside the police station. The police come and go, I always wave at them and they wave back. I am sure there is no law against detecting in my home town.
    You need to be careful on any State Park, some may let you, others will stop you at the least, ticket or worse if they are in a bad mood. I would say stay off State Parks.
    Also, I am very careful in the park. When I leave, you can't tell I have ever been there.

  8. #8

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10101 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by goosefour View Post
    i have not been able to find any current info on this issue the old info stated that the City of Louisville Banned metal detecting in city parks. and that ban was still in effect in 2012..... do you have some documentation showing that this is not so?? I have just ordered my first metal detector and want to know what the laws really are and it's difficult to tell online.

    thanks in advance for any help
    You are talking a horse of a different color. To ask about "one specific city" (Louisville), versus just "public land in general" for KY.

    I have no doubt that there could be individual cities, in various states, that have dreamed up a "no detecting" rule. But my beef was with the notion that *JUST* because there's a rule for a state's state parks, that it doesn't necessarily mean that it subrogates down to other forms of public land (city and county). That's not to say that some individual city hasn't dreamed it up though.

    So I wasn't saying that Louisville parks are or aren't open to md'ing.

    As for other cities and types of land around you, if you have any questions, float it on the "legal issues" section of T'net.

  9. #9
    us
    Relic hunter

    Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    1,722
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    I Personally do not search parks, I am more into the pre 1800 sites. I do have some friends that have hunted parks and told me they were told to Leave several parks in the Louisville area because it was forbidden. I would try notifying a local detecting club and/or ask the city parks dept. which parks are open to detecting.

  10. #10
    us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    3,283
    1927 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Lol. He was coming to visit 2 years ago.

  11. #11
    us
    Relic hunter

    Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    1,722
    424 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRieman View Post
    Lol. He was coming to visit 2 years ago.
    Holidays coming around, he might want to come back,lol.

  12. #12
    us
    Feb 2014
    KY
    Whites 4000D Garrett ATPro
    577
    588 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I sent him a PM a week or more ago asking if he ever made it to KY. Haven't heard back from him yet.

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New cat coming around
    By tamrock in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 27, 2013, 05:07 PM
  2. Coming soon.........
    By spartacus53 in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
  3. keeps on coming down
    By jeff of pa in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 31, 2010, 08:47 PM
  4. Is the End of MD Coming?
    By Doug Mauck in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2007, 01:03 AM
  5. coming off a bad run
    By tw656 in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 08, 2007, 08:39 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0