Couple of years' observations

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day all,

I have been detecting for a couple of years now and have found a handful (as in two or three) good finds.

I've tried to detect in Lexington and had no luck. The ground is always hit hard here by something always being built up and the years of good metal detecting here has passed. Any time one looks around, there's always a subdivision going up or someone telling you "No." Versailles is quite an anomaly because one would think that it would be good due to the Big Spring area, but it's trashed out. Frankfort is a state government town where they'll crucify you if you ask to detect on their land. Georgetown is a strange place because it's either cleaned out or I'm digging in the wrong place (Stamping Ground area). Harrodsburg and places around Perryville seem to give good finds, but stuff that's Civil War related is drying up and I'm having to look earlier (pioneer stuff).

I'm burned out on the central Kentucky area and it's leaving me a bit discouraged. Any advice?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I enjoy detecting in Lexington but it's hard to find a spot that hasn't been combed over but, they're out there. I have more success getting into the perimeter cities though, Winchester, Mount Sterling, etc. Not a ton of competition and the growth of the towns haven't swallowed up all that is old. Permissions seem to come a bit easier as well.

I keep my enthusiasm by having a long time trusted partner and we challenge each other to come up not only with great spots but permission as well. If I had to go it alone, I would have been burnt out years ago.

idnc68

Feb 26, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to agree don't give up . There are spots that's not been hit just need to do a little leg work and research

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread