KGC in or around Roanoke Va

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Oledigger said:
I was wondering if there has been any knowledge of the KGC in or around Roanoke Va? Thanks for your help.

Oledigger,

Many people have a terrible time with discovery tracking down individual ancestry and mine was the case as well until the whole world opened up with an 82-year-old second cousin back in 1989. I hit the mother load of information and spent more than two hours recording our conversations. A few months ago his tapes were invaluable for revealing details forgotten but only a short time later he passed away.

It makes me wonder if we shouldn't be talking a lot more with these older family members who lived some of that history and possibly heard invaluable information.

Gary

OP
OP
Oledigger

Oledigger

Greenie
Sep 11, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3 , Whites XLT
I do a lot of metal detecting and looking for signs around this area. I came upon a stream that had a huge heart laying on the side of the bank, partly in the stream and partly on the bank. I did not take a pic of it, but plan on going back and doing so. I know the Indians and travelers used this area because of the salt lick (Roanoke was named Big Lick because of the salt deposits). I have heard the KGC had been in this area, but it was from word of mouth, and after finding this heart, I was wondering if it was correct. I have done a lot of metal detecting and mine hunting in Arizona and other parts of the Southwest, but it's a lot different in this area, and was wondering if the heart would mean the same here as it does around Spanish mines? In what I have read and seen, the heart stands for the same thing anywhere you find it. Of course it may have been made by nature , I really need to get to it and take some pictures, and then post it on this forum and let someone else take a look at it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D THAT is ONE opinion; this is mine... You ARE correct that Roanoke was formerly known as BIG LICK, after the GREAT SALT "LICK" in the marsh/swamp of THAT area in the late 1700's, early 1800's. IF... you have found a heart-shaped rock/stone/boulder, DO NOT move it!
YES, KGC did "utilize" OLD "codes" from Spanish/"Indians"/CSA/Outlaws, etc.; The "HEART" is a "CODE" for a BIG "cache"... AND! A "POINTER"; look in the direction of the POINTED part of the "HEART" for the NEXT "clues" OR... "cache" site. DO NOT tell me, where it is; I am in Bedford
County, Va. @ 45 minutes, EAST of Roanoke, and @ 15 minutes from Lynchburg, Va. The BEALE
TREASURE story is MY focus, and we ALSO have a POSSIBLE Heart... spelled HART (Bros.), as ADDITIONAL info, that includes Roanoke, Va. :o "Google" HART PAPERS. :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D FURTHER... I am ORGINALLY from the Shenandoah Valley (aka "The Great Valley of Virginia), and there are LOTS of battlefields from the Civil War, SOME "sites" from
"frontier" days, "colonial" days, days before $$$$$$$$ "banks", etc. The "Warriors Path" along the mountains from Penn. through the Shenandoah & Roanoke Valleys (Rt. 11) is "stated" to be a MD'er
"dream delight" on PRIVATE LAND(S). Roanoke, Va. familes during the Civil War, buried thousands
of "caches" in fear of YANKEE looting, etc.; MANY were NEVER found/recovered. They MAY have utilized "treasure(s) signs", and MAY not have been KGC; like SWR, I know of SOME "activity", MOSTLY south of Lynchburg, Va. on Rt. 29. There WAS a MD Club in Roanoke, Va. at one time; MAYBE, you can find 'em, today... DUNNO. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Oledigger

Oledigger

Greenie
Sep 11, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3 , Whites XLT
Thank you both for answering, and thank you for the welcome. I have been reading this forum for several years, but haven't posted anything on here. I enjoy reading other peoples opinions.
I to have an interest in the Beale Treasure, and have done a lot of research on it and lots and lots of footwork. I really have my doubts it is buried around Goose Creek as some think. ( but I am no where as knowledgeable as some on this forum, this is just my thoughts) The Roanoke area is an area of interest to me right now.
As for KGC in this area, and the heart, from the person that I have and am talking to, he stated there was an elderly man that raised cain and ran everyone off that came to that part of the woods where I found the heart . He hasn't been seen for a number of years, so suspect he has passed on. I plan on going back out that way and take pics and look around for more signs and information. May be a waste of time, but I sure enjoy looking.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: OK, Rt. 11 becomes Williamson Ave. in Roanoke; I did MY Roanoke, Va. "research" at the Roanoke Library on Elm Ave., just off Rt. 24; it used to be COLONIAL HIGHWAY. It runs from Ch'ville, and Thom. Jefferson used to take Rt. 20, 24, or Coffee Rd. in Bedford County. The VIRGINIA ROOM at the library will help you see OLD maps, that MAY help you in yer MD research.
The "old" man MAY have been just be protecting "family cache" from the Civil War... "google" ROANOKE, VA. DURING THE CIVIL WAR... then, look at old maps of Roanoke, Va. from the Civil War + years. Look especially near Mill Mountain, and a park above (NORTH of) Salem, Va. ALSO... look for these signs from http://www.knightsofthegoldencircle-kgc.com/signs.htm :hello2:

njboogs

Mar 8, 2011
I got a lead ive been wanting to hunt for years...If its to be beleived it involves a cache of weapons including cannons that was found while building a warehouse in the early 1970's. The construction crew opened up a side of a hill and instead of telling anyone just covered it up due to they were running late on the project..and the recent Civil War centenial had made the war very popular. the location was used during the war for both sides and its near a very popular local college. I heard this from a second hand source. Guy i knew who knew nothing about treasure was told this by his next door neighbor who was on the crew. Anyways. Thats my big lead

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YO! Been doing some "Geno-research" on Jesse & Frank James; they had kin in Bedford County near Roanoke, Va. in the Hardy/Stewartsville, Va. "area" (Dalton or James). As the boys were growing up they WERE familiar with Roanoke, and MAY have known about Mill Mountain, etc., as they LOVED "wooded areas". I think Jesse WAS KGC, so FAMILY may have had KGC/CSA "assets" buried in the area... Look for the HEART in the woods. Good Luck, HH!

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Reb, why don't you share some of this research with us since you brought it to the table. Especially the part about FAMILY
and KGC?CSA assets. Very interesting indeed.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Actually, Od started this thread; I will review my Jesse/Frank James files. I DO know that Frank James & family were living in Lynchburg, Va. when Jesse was killed. Frank was known as James Warren or something like that.

OP
OP
Oledigger

Oledigger

Greenie
Sep 11, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3 , Whites XLT
Hi Rebel,
It's been a while since I have posted on here, due to work, I haven't been around much. I had no idea that Jesse and Frank James had a connection with Roanoke. This being said, I need to do my research another way. Yes Jesse was KGC, have a few friends in Arkansas that are very familiar with the KGC story. If you would like to post about them here, I would appreciate it and would enjoy reading about it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OK, will try to remember; in April, 1882... Frank James & family were living in Lynchburg, Va. when Jesse was "killed" out WEST; had a house between 5th Street, and the Arlington Hotel (from Trial Transcript, 7th Chapter/Day). During the CONFEDERATE WAR, Frank James was a REBEL (CSA) DOCTOR, enlisted in a Tenn. unit; Jesse was too young to fight.
Jesse got with Q's Guerrillas (as did Frank) during the CW; Frank had been wounded many times, yet "doctored" himself, having MANY scars. There was a Sentinel ("BUCK" W.T. Wright) guarding the BEALE Treasure in Bedford County, Va. (one of two... "Bear" Toley was the other one); BOTH Mountain Men with cabins and hound dogs high up on the ridges, near today's Blue Ridge Parkway. When "Buck" Wright visited a doctor once ("Buck" was OLD & sick... ) the doctor commented on his various scars; wearing a Masonic ring, "Buck" replied that he was once a member of the Younger/Cole Gang. We think "Buck" was REALLY Frank James; "BUCK" was the Mystery Man of Upper Goose CreeK Valley (Bedford County, Va.).
Reviewing photos of "Buck" & Frank James is AWESOME; appears to be "one & the same". Upper Goose Valley, here, is not far from Stewartsville, Va. on Colonial Highway (Rt. 24, I think); CLOSER to Roanoke, Va. than Upper Goose Creek Valley. BOTH James & Dalton families are numerous in Bedford County, Va., with "spill-over" into Roanoke County (EAST, where Mill Mountain is), and Roanoke, Va. NOW, during the CW, citizens buried their caches, so Yanks wouldn't find 'em, and I DID read/hear something about a BIG depository being buried near a creek, with certain "signs" of interest. "Post" # 4 is of GREAT interest, since the HEART indicates a HUGE cache/depository of KGC/OAK. Go from there... it was YOUR "Post". Keep us informed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oledigger

Oledigger

Greenie
Sep 11, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3 , Whites XLT
Thank you for the information Rebel. I plan on going out in the next few days and take a picture of the heart, and will be posting it on here.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thank you for the information Rebel. I plan on going out in the next few days and take a picture of the heart, and will be posting it on here.

GREAT! Be careful out there... don't move ANYTHING. Get directions (north, south, east, west via "sun bearings"). HH! Good Luck! Read stuff about HUGE cache in Roanoke County, Va.; MAY be part of CSA Treasury (Richmond, Va. "stores"... GOLD bars, UNSTAMPED). Since state of Virginia owns EXPLORE PARK... MAY be in THAT "area"; NOT far from Mill Mountain. Sounds like something that Jesse & "gang" would do...

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, will try to remember; in April, 1882... Frank James & family were living in Lynchburg, Va. when Jesse was "killed" out WEST; had a house between 5th Street, and the Arlington Hotel (from Trial Transcript, 7th Chapter/Day). During the CONFEDERATE WAR, Frank James was a REBEL (CSA) DOCTOR, enlisted in a Tenn. unit; Jesse was too young to fight.
Jesse got with Q's Guerrillas (as did Frank) during the CW; Frank had been wounded many times, yet "doctored" himself, having MANY scars. There was a Sentinel ("BUCK" W.T. Wright) guarding the BEALE Treasure in Bedford County, Va. (one of two... "Bear" Toley was the other one); BOTH Mountain Men with cabins and hound dogs high up on the ridges, near today's Blue Ridge Parkway. When "Buck" Wright visited a doctor once ("Buck" was OLD & sick... ) the doctor commented on his various scars; wearing a Masonic ring, "Buck" replied that he was once a member of the Younger/Cole Gang. We think "Buck" was REALLY Frank James; "BUCK" was the Mystery Man of Upper Goose CreeK Valley (Bedford County, Va.).
Reviewing photos of "Buck" & Frank James is AWESOME; appears to be "one & the same". Upper Goose Valley, here, is not far from Stewartsville, Va. on Colonial Highway (Rt. 24, I think); CLOSER to Roanoke, Va. than Upper Goose Creek Valley. BOTH James & Dalton families are numerous in Bedford County, Va., with "spill-over" into Roanoke County (EAST, where Mill Mountain is), and Roanoke, Va. NOW, during the CW, citizens buried their caches, so Yanks wouldn't find 'em, and I DID read/hear something about a BIG depository being buried near a creek, with certain "signs" of interest. "Post" # 4 is of GREAT interest, since the HEART indicates a HUGE cache/depository of KGC/OAK. Go from there... it was YOUR "Post". Keep us informed.

We have located two separate heart symbols on the site we are working. One was buried and one was in plain sight above ground. If you have located the heart, you should be within one mile of your target! All you need now is the heading and distance. Keep in mind that surveying was an exact science to the K.G.C. Good Luck.

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread