Historical Newspaper Articles abt KGC

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
[LITTLE ROCK] OLD-LINE DEMOCRAT 1860

[Note: this newspaper was filmed slightly out of focus—it is very difficult to read.
Many articles were skipped because they were illegible.]

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/little_rock_old-line_democrat.htm

[LITTLE ROCK] OLD-LINE DEMOCRAT, April 5, 1860, p. 3, c. 1

The K. G. C's.

The K. G. C.'s are collecting in considerable numbers at New Orleans. Gen. Bickley, the commander-in-chief, col. Temple, and Surgeon Semple, are at the St. Louise Hotel; Gen. Greer, who is well known as one of the bravest volunteer colonels from Mississippi during the recent war, and who now commands a division of the K. G. C., together with Major Richardson, one of his staff officers, and Col. H. C. Young, of Memphis, who commands the First Tennessee Regiment, are at the City Hotel; while others, as Captain Scott and Lieut. Breese, are at the Merchants'; Capt. Gray, the wagon master, is at the Texas Home; and still many others of note and character are at the St. Charles, or quartered with private friends in the city. Besides, says the N. O. Courier, there are hundreds of our own citizens in hourly contact with these gentlemen, so that one can not but inquire, "What's in the wind?" The K. G. C. or "Knights of the Golden Circle," was organized in 1854, more to cultivate the martial spirit of our people than anything else; since then it has steadily grown, until now it numbers over 30,000 members, who are scattered over the Southern States, and holding within its charmed circle many of our most influential men and best soldiers. No organization of the kind has in this country ever combined so much talent with such immense financial resources, and under the present aspect of political affairs, we do not deem it too much to say that the whole nation may soon become deeply interested in the ultimate labors of the K. G. C.
It is generally understood that the K. G. C. are preparing to operate in the broad field which civil war has opened in Mexico to American enterprise and industry.

[LITTLE ROCK] OLD-LINE DEMOCRAT, August 16, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
Knights of the Golden Circle.—General Bickley has published an address to the Knights of the Golden Circle, requesting them to repair to their Texas encampment by the 15th of September. He declares the object of the association to be to Americanize and Southernize Mexico. The Knights will go to Mexico as emigrants, under the sanction of the Mexican government. The order is said to number fifty thousand members, with a capital of one million of dollars. Texas has subscribed nearly half a million of dollars, and a general call is made upon other States to donate liberally, as the object is to establish a Southern confederacy.

[LITTLE ROCK] OLD-LINE DEMOCRAT, September 20, 1860, p. 2, c. 7
Knights of the Golden Circle.—It is a fact well known to all who read the public journals of the day that there is a party in the Southern portion of this Union that has been organized for the purpose of colonizing Mexico. This party is known as the Knights of the Golden Circle, and have continued to increase so rapidly that from five men, they have in three years reached the formidable number of fifty thousand. These men were scattered through the country from the mountains of Virginia to the Gulf of Mexico, and for some time have been awaiting orders to concentrate at some point convenient to the scene of their future operations. Gradually these men have been sent through the country, and are now collecting on the confines of Texas. Already large numbers of them are concentrated in that State, and this nucleus is being surrounded by men from all the various States.
The first movement of the K. G. C's from Virginia will take place to-morrow from the little town of Hampton. One company, in command of a competent officer and a worthy Virginia gentleman, will embark for Texas, and will then inaugurate the exodus of the K. G. C's. That the object of this organization is to change the political and social principles of the country to which they go, there is little doubt, for they avow this their purpose; but they do not go unlawfully armed, at least from here; they profess to go as peaceful citizens and will revolutionize that unhappy country not by fire and sword, but by settling in sufficient numbers within its borders, and changing and making wholesome laws, and seeing that they are enforced. They are going to introduce Anglo-Saxon energy and American prudence among a people who have heretofore been incapable of self-government, and who are actually inviting them to come and teach them how to live and be happy.
The movement of these men toward the Rio Grande is pregnant with much importance to the South, and is the commencement of a grand programme that has been preparing for several years.—Norfolk Day Book.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
[LaGrange, TX] TRUE ISSUE Scattered issues, 1860-1864
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/lagrange papers.htm

[LAGRANGE, TX] TRUE ISSUE, January 20, 1860, masthead
"A family paper devoted to news, literature, morality, and the dissemination of useful knowledge."
"Our country, our state, the South, and the Union."

[LAGRANGE, TX] STATE RIGHTS DEMOCRAT, March 7, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
Texas K. G. C. State Convention.—We reached home from the Convention of the K. G. C. held in San Antonio on the 22nd ult., too late to furnish our readers with a full report of its doings. Geo. W. Chilton, of Tyler, was elected Marshal of Texas Division; Jas. Vance, of San Antonio, State Treasurer; the editor of this paper State Printer; Elkanah Greer, of Marshal, General of Eastern Brigade; John S. Ford, of Austin, General of Middle Brigade, and John A. Wilcox, of San Antonio, General of the Western Brigade. So it will be seen that measures were taken to effect a thorough organization throughout the State. The Convention tendered the services of the Order to the authorities of Texas. The Order is in a flourishing condition in this Division, and numbers about eight thousand of the best and bravest of Southern soldiers. We shall publish the full proceedings of the convention in our next issue.

[LAGRANGE, TX] STATE RIGHTS DEMOCRAT, May 16, 1861, p. 1, c. 4-5
An Address to the
Knights of the Gol-
den Circle in Texas.
By C. A. Russel.
(For the Democrat.)
Brother Knights: Believing that a word of advice and admonition is called for and may be beneficial to many of our brethren in the present hour of doubt as to the future, I thus address you through the public press.
Since the commencement of our organization in Texas, events have rapidly transpired which prove the truth of our principles and a necessity of our existence.
The political troubles which are gathering thickly around us, were to each of you clearly foretold, and you have been forewarned to prepare for the emergency. If you have not done so, it is not because you were not aware of the necessity for preparation, (for that has held a prominent place in our teachings); but because you were disposed to hope against reason and put far away the evil day. But the time has come to shake off the idle day dreams of peace, and prepare for battle. No vain hope can now hover over us. There is no room for hope. No idle words are now needed, but strong arms and willing hearts. War is upon us; our homes and firesides are threatened with invasion. I need not exhort you to arm and prepare for the conflict, for it there is one among us who is not ready and willing to do to the extent of his ability, he is not a true Knight, and to such this is not addressed. I know of none such nor do I believe that such have entered within the pale of knighthood. But while I am satisfied of your patriotism and your bravery, I am fearful that many may forget amid the absorbing events of the day, the obligation which they owe to the Order of Knighthood in which we claim to be brethren. I believe that wherever, we may be scattered as individuals we shall be true to the principles upon which our Order is founded, but am fearful we shall not be sufficiently mindful of that part of our obligation which relates to the machinery by which we expect to spread and perpetuate those principles. Upon that point I admonish every member of the Order to be attentive and vigilant. Use every opportunity that may offer to establish the working machinery of the Order until our Castles shall arise like monuments all over the land. You will find, as did the Knights of old, in your Castles a sure defence against the assault of your enemies. Slander and misrepresentation in their attempts to poison all that is good among men, have not entirely overlooked us. I have been told that such an organization as ours, would become an evil in that hour when our country needed the services of her sons in battle. That petty jealousies and a spirit of party monopoly would prevent us from taking part in active warfare, unless we could be called into service as a body with our own officers and organization. Whether this opinion of us is well founded I leave for you, brother Knights, by your actions to say. I am satisfied that the result will disprove the assertion. We have taught no such practice. I admonish you to go forth wherever your country may call singly or in companies, as circumstances may require. But do not let the stirring events of war cause you to forget the principles that have been taught you, and do not forget that those with whom your lot may be cast, may become, by y our teachings and through your instrumentality, linked together by the iron hand of a common brotherhood as Knights of the true faith. Wherever you may go you may sow the seed that shall bring forth fruits of blessing to our country and glory to our Order. Carry out our principles, and slander shall become dumb before the chivalrous acts of our brethren. Do this, and the world will soon understand that there is one brotherhood of men founded upon patriotism, whose only object is to build up an Order that shall be ever ready to advance the institutions of our country and defend them at the point of the sword. Do not however allow party pride to enter our Castles or in any manner influence your actions. Remember that the principles which we teach, and desire to propagate, existed before our order was founded, and would continue to exist were it to be dissolved and vanish into thin air. Remember that we claim nothing by our organization but a desire to serve our country by teaching those principles and uniting together all good men for their maintenance and defence. And remember that we can only accomplish this fully by paying due attention to the machinery of castle organization, which constitutes the working tools of the Order. If duty calls you from home, build up monuments of our Order in your pathway, and if you are permitted to remain and enjoy the comforts of home, there you will find our work to perform. Arouse the military spirit of your neighbors, organize them into companies and teach them military tactics and science. Carry out the recommendations of our Governor in his late proclamation, until every able-bodied Texan shall be enrolled as a citizen soldier for the defence of our State; impress upon this citizen soldiery the importance of military drill as a means by which men can be commanded and made to move in concert and harmony at the command of their officers, as the necessities of the moment may require. All this is in accordance with the spirit of our Organization and therefore in the direct line of our duty as K. G. C.
Brother Knights, carry out our principles according to these suggestions and we shall be able to meet the troublous times as become FREEMEN, and when the pending storm shall have passed, should other work demand our attention, the K. G. C. will be prepared for action.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
cccalco:

I congratulate you for the newspapers records you have dug up that confirms
widespread KGC influence in the 1860's.
"If duty calls you from home, build up monuments of our Order in your pathway."
Here is the reason for the "signs" the Knights left behind. Rather than pointers to treasure, the various monuments could be saying "We are here,
we are Legion."

lastleg

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX]
October 22, 1859 – January 21, 1864
Note: Issues are out of order with large gaps
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/ranchero.htm

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 15, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
K. G. C.—A detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle, under the command of Capt. P. H. Thorpe, passed through this city—leaving here this morning on foot, for the general rendezvous near Brownsville, on the Rio Grande.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 22, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
The K. G. C.—Another small detachment of K. G. C. arrived here this week. Those who passed through here last week are at the Banquete. It appears that they are bound to suffer disappointment, as they expected to meet a large force composed of members of their order at some point in Encinal county, a place of rendezvous, subsequent to a march upon Matamoras, which place was to be occupied by a portion, while the main force marched and occupied Monterey, as a place for head-quarters. As it is, there are no Knights in Encinal county, nor no one, ten, or fifty thousand concentrated at any point in this section—hence the disappointment. Manuel Doblado is no where to be heard of and the pronunciamento of Comonfort is still in the dark.
The Knights who are here, and have passed through this place, are orderly and gentlemanly in their bearing, and one would suppose them to be of those who are not likely to be gulled by the prospect of a rancho in Mexico, or in case it did not suit, to receive in lieu thereof eight hundred dollars in cash. The fallacy of such stories, it seems, will never be apparent other than to such as have gone "regularly through the mill."

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 29, 1860, p. 2, c. 1
The Knights.—The last detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle that arrived here, instead of going farther toward the "seat of war," left, we understand, for their respective homes. Those who went to the Banquete, came back here and did likewise; and as they performed the trip into the country and back on foot, will satisfy the Civilian they did not carry bridles with them.
This morning another party of K. G. C., from the States, arrived here. There must be mismanagement on the part of the leaders, or else a concentration of forces would be better understood.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], October 13, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
K. G. C.—The last party of gallant knights arrived here, that took a trip up the country, for the knew "there must be at the least calculation one thousand warriors up there somewhere," and that all Mexico would be a toy for their future amusement. But, lo! they have returned, having been disappointed in the number of braves they expected to find at the lowest calculation one thousand men.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], October 27, 1860, p. 2, c. 4
K. G. C.—The arrival and return of squads of men to and from this point, who belong to this mysterious order, and the apparent mismanagement on the part of their leaders, has been a matter of much comment in our community. The knights who arrived here seemed to be in as much need of light upon the subject as ourselves. The following letter written by Gen. Bickley, dated Austin, Oct. 9th, and published in the Galveston News of the 20th, may serve to partially enlighten our readers upon the subject:
["] I regret very much that it was not in my power to remain long enough in Galveston to address your citizens in behalf of the K. G. C. I desired this, because I feel perfectly confident that the principles involved in the success of this organization have not been fully appreciated in Southern Texas, or I should not have met with so much opposition from a portion of the press.
The obstacles which I have had to overcome have been greater than my most sanguine friends could have anticipated. For instance—many of the most prominent men in the organization believe that no attempt should be made until the first of December, at which time we may be more needed at home than abroad. Again, it has been reported that no provisions can be had in Texas to sustain our men while organizing, and this has rendered the men timid about remaining upon the frontier long enough to collect our forces. Many sanguine friends have gone to the Rio Grande without being duly prepared and these must necessarily become discouraged. To procure the arms and necessary materials with which to open the campaign, I have had to traverse every section of the Southern States—to combat misrepresentation, and build up an influence for the order, before anything could be done. This work has fallen altogether on me. Besides, the recent failure of Gen. Walker in his expedition to Honduras, and the silence of our Government in reference to the intervention of the British, has caused many to fear that our task would be more difficult than had been previously supposed. The difficulty of transporting large quantities of materials and troops across the country, and the approaching Presidential contest, have all shown how necessary to success is the element of time. Arms that ought to have been at our rendezvous have not arrived, and agents have to be sent in search of them. Corn must be shipped from the Ohio river and the force in this State simultaneously assembled. All this is the work of time. To throw ourselves in a body of 400 or 500 men only across the river would insure disaster. This will not do—if I cross, it must be with every element of success in my hands, viz: men, arms, and material. We shall cross at the earliest possible moment, and I only ask our friends and the press to give us that assistance which we ought to expect of them. Give us a few weeks, and all will come out right. I shall thoroughly canvass the State, and then, if Texas refuses to assist me, I cannot succeed, for I am only one man, and am strong only as I am surrounded by strong men.["]
The Matamoros correspondent of the N. O. Crescent, seems to take a vice versa view of this would be warlike order. He writes:
["] Talking of war puts me on my guard to caution all you folks not to be caught in Gen. Bickley's new humbug—the Golden Circle. The authorities here do not know hide nor hair of the matter, and it will meet with resistance from all classes. What foundation Gen. Bickley has for his movement is past my comprehension, for I know that he is not authorized to raise men on behalf of the Mexican Government. I think that all engaged in it are on a fool's errand, and that Gen. Bickley is only manoeuvering the public out of its money. ["]

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], November 3, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
Gen. Bickley's K. G. C. Speech at Austin.—The San Antonio Herald publishes a two column and a half report of Gen. Geo. Bickley's K. G. C. speech at Austin on the 17th. He disclaimed the title of a fillibuster for himself or order—intimated that they were a humanitarian society—would "perfect" negro slavery in the South and extend it abroad—were not leagued with any political party in the country—did not propose to march into Mexico as an armed force, but as a defensive colony, (per invitation of certain intelligent State Governors,) pledging allegiance and assistance to the liberal people of that country, who are kept "under the surf" by their revolutionary brethren, etc., etc.
The K. G. C. platform reads well on paper, but we have serious doubts whether there is enough powder in their guns to cure the "sick man" on the other side of the Rio Grande. The Mexicans are not very apt to affiliate with the "barbarians of the North," and well informed letter writers say that such a movement as that spoken of by Gen. Bickley, would meet with determined resistance from all parties. We advise young men in the States to stay with their parents a while longer, and seek some surer path to emolument and fame than becoming Bickley Mexico colonists.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], May 18, 1861, p. 2, c. 6
K. G. C.
Regular meetings of the Castle of the K. G. C.'s will be held every Friday evening, at the hour of one-half past seven o'clock, in the Virginia House, in this city. Punctual attendance of the members is requested. By order of the Castle.
Thos. E. Hooper, Sec'y.
Captain, Wm. I. Moor; Lieutenant, H. W. Berry; Inspector, Simon Jones; Guide, George Pfeiffer; Sergeant, Chas. E. Clark; Treasurer J. Zeigler; Secretary, Thos E. Hooper.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], July 6, 1861, p. 2, c. 4
The Fourth in Corpus.
Last Thursday was a day which will long remain green in the memory of those who participated in its festivities. All seemed to enjoy themselves, and all were on the move from morning till night. No disorderly conduct occurred to mar the pleasures of the day, each man, woman and child seeming to make it an especial duty to promote harmony and good will.
A salute from the big gun at ten o'clock was the signal for the ball to open. We have not the time nor space to speak as fully as we should like of the various features of the day, and therefore will allude to each briefly:
The Sunday School celebration at the Court House, was really a feast of reason and flow of soul. The children of the city, attired in neat holiday dress, entertained a crowded house from ten to near four o'clock with songs, declamations, dialogues, etc. Rev. J. P. Perham made a very eloquent and stirring opening address.
The military of the city, consisting of the Artillery company, Capt. Hunsaker, and the Light Infantry, Capt. Newman, made a very imposing parade. The music was furnished gratuitously by Prof. Goddat, who won for himself golden opinions, not only as a musician, but as a public-spirited, patriotic, whole-souled gentleman.
Messrs. Shaw and Barnard, proprietors of "La Retama," set out what they termed a free lunch, at half past eleven, which we were inclined to regard as a most sumptuous free dinner. It was emphatically the best public dinner we ever partook of in Corpus.
In the afternoon, the K. G. C., a numerous body, who have heretofore been regarded as a very mysterious order, marched through our streets, even as other men, and in a very quiet and orderly manner filed into Zeigler's Hall, where a sumptuous and tempting table awaited them. Geo. Pfeuffer, Esq., made a telling speech, the Knights made a telling impression upon the good things spread before them, and numerous pert toasts were drank.
The remainder of the day was consumed in social amusements and fire-side reunions. Long may the citizens of Corpus retain the public spirit they manifested Thursday.

THE RANCHERO WAR EXTRA [Corpus Christi, TX], July 20, 1861, p. 2, c. 3
Castle K. G. C.
At a meeting of the Corpus Christi Castle K. G. C., on the 19th of July, 1861, the following resolution was passed, and ordered to be published in The Ranchero:
Resolved, That the members of said order who have not yet taken the oath of allegiance to the Confederate States of America, come forward as soon as possible and take the same. Thos. E. Hooper, Secretary.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA]
January 3, 1860 – Dec. 29, 1860
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/baton_rouge_gazette&comet.htm

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 6, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
Knights of the Golden Circle.—This organization, whose sole aim at presents seems the invasion of Mexico and assists in the establishment of a new government, has caused some interest, especially among the young men of the city, many of whom are unemployed.—They have formed an association, and for some time past have been engaged in drilling and perfecting themselves in the use of arms, at their rooms, corner of Baltimore and Holiday streets. There are nearly one thousand signatures to the muster roll, some of whom are of very respectable families. The companies are being drilled by experienced officers, who have done service in the United States army, and the membership are quite sanguine in leaving this port in two or three weeks, unmolested by the Government. They do not intend arming themselves until they get beyond the jurisdiction of the United States.—Baltimore American.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 13, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
Knights of the Golden Circle.—The St. Joseph papers say that several hundred Knights of the Golden Circle from Kansas and Nebraska, had arrived there, and would be prepared to start soon for Mexico.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 19, 1860, p. 2, c. 21
Gone to Take Mexico.—The Goliad (Texas) Messenger says, a company of twenty-seven armed men passed through that place en route for Mexico the other day. The expedition is a secret one, and the Messenger has done wrong to herald it to the world. Should the news of their coming go before them and the matter be whispered in the halls of the Montezumas—past any reasonable doubt, the walls of the same will crack. The K. G. C's are supposed to have a finger in this affair.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], October 12, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
An Expedition Come to Nothing.—The Galveston Civilian is responsible for the following piece of information. The Knights of the Golden Circle, who have been so far benightened [sic] as to march to Western Texas, have concluded that they have had about as near a view of the elephant as would pay. The Corpus Christi Ranchero says:
"The last detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle that arrived here instead of going farther towards the "seat of war," left, we understand, for their respective homs. those who went to the Banquette, came back here and did likewise; and as they performed the trip into the country and back on foot, will satisfy the Civilian they did not carry bridles with them.
"This morning another party of K. G. C., from the States, arrived here. There must be mismanagement on the part of the leaders, or else a concentration of force would be better understood."
Young men at a distance should be cautious how they enter upon quixotic and desperate expeditions of this kind. The whole scheme, in the present state of affairs, is chimercal [sic] and dangerous in the extreme.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT 1861
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/little_rock_arkansas_true_democrat_1861.htm

Attention, K. G. C.
Montgomery, Ala., April 17, 1861.

In view of the threatened invasion of Texas by Lincoln's abolition horde, and in further view of the fact that the Confederate States of America has so many points exposed to attack from the enemy, that its army as at present organized, may be inadequate to ample protection; I therefore order the Captains of each Castle of K's G. C's. within the State of Texas, to meet me at the city of Galveston, on the 1st day of May, A. D. 1861, with a complete muster roll of companies. Each Castle will hold itself in readiness for immediate orders. It is desired that as many of the field officers as can do so, will also be in Galveston at the time appointed.
Geo. W. Chilton. Marshal of Texas Division K's G. C.
The K's G. C's in Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Florida, will pay attention. Maryland has her hands full. Let no member of the Order now flinch.
Geo. Bickley, K. G. C.
President Am. Legion.
All Companies of the K's G. C's in the State of Arkansas will hold themselves in readiness for further orders.
By order of
Major Augustus Larrantree,
Commanding Ark. Battalion.
Arkansas papers please copy.

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, May 9, 1861, p. 3, c. 3
"Knights of the Golden Circle."—We clip the following from the Louisville Courier, of the 24th inst., to which we invite the attention of members of the order in this city. We are informed by a gentleman, formerly a chief commander in West Tennessee, that the order numbers about six hundred in this city. Why do they not rally and give some public expression of their sympathy for their gallant brothers of Baltimore, who first met and repulsed the enemies of our common interests, so soon as they placed their feet upon southern soil. History will place them side by side with the heroes of Lexington and Bunker Hill. We would be glad to hear from some of the members here.

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, September 12, 1861, p. 1, c. 7
A Female Spy.—The correspondent of the Cincinnati Commercial, writing from Western Virginia, says a female spy has been discovered in the first Kentucky regiment. She is from Georgia, and enlisted at Cincinnati. She was detected by writing information in regard to the movements of our troops to the enemy. She is a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle; says she knows the punishment of a spy is death, and is ready for the fate. She is to be sent to Columbus.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS]
June 12, 1860 – October 8, 1861
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/leavenworth_times_60-61.htm

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], November 16, 1860, p. 2, c. 1
Wyandot City, Nov. 12th, 1860.
My Wholom Friend "Ed":--I notice thy name is flying at the editorial head of the Times, and therefore presume to indite a short communication for its columns, should it be deemed worthy of a place therein. . . .
Our recent election in this county, was said to be controlled by a secret order, known as Knights of the Golden Circle, or "Whang Doodles." They meet twice a week, so numerous are the applications for membership, and initiate their members under the influence of the heavenly music made by a "horse fiddle," and by beating a piece of sheet iron with sticks. Their "tunes" can be heard in all parts of the town. Gov. Roberts was their especial favorite for the Legislature, and of course was elected, while Gen. Weer was his opponent and defeated. . . Quill.

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], August 3, 1861, p. 2, c. 1

A female spy has been arrested in the First Kentucky Regiment, at Racine, Ohio.—On being closely questioned, she confessed her guilt. She states that she has been in constant communication with the rebels—that she is a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle, and through that order, members of which she finds every where, she has found the means of forwarding her letters to the rebels. On all the long marches, she has carried her musket and knapsack, and never lagged behind. She is about five feet, seven inches high, and has rather effeminate features.

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], August 4, 1861, p. 2, c. 1

K. G. C.
The Louisville Journal publishes a complete exposition of the objects and rites of the Knights of the Golden Circle, taken from their secret documents. Of these documents, the Journal says: "That they are authentic, we give our solemn assurance as an editor and as a man." It appears that the primary design of the order, is the conquest of a portion of Mexico, and its conversion into a slave-holding monarchy. But the order has also been a valuable auxiliary to the secession movement, and has been the chief instrument in precipitating the people of the South into rebellion and revolution.
A leading feature of this infamous association is the proscription of foreigners and Catholics. This is in perfect harmony with the spirit of aristocracy and intolerance prevalent among the leaders of the chivalry, and shows that they aim at the destruction of every liberal principle in our form of government. Such doctrines will increase the abhorrence in which they are held by the people of the loyal States. For, we rejoice to say, that the patriotic devotion of the foreign-born citizens to their adopted land, as exhibited by their recent brave services in its defence, has swept from the North the last vestige of Know Nothing bigotry and prejudice.
That feature of the K. G. C., which looks to the establishment of a monarchial government in the territory they propose to seize, is also important and suggestive. It is another evidence that the public sentiment of the South is gradually becoming hostile to republican institutions. Thus slavery and political despotism go hand in hand.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
New York Times, 1864, Lengthy article, Page 1, 1021 words, which mentions the Knights of the Golden Circle

THE CONSPIRACY.; PROPOSED NORTHWESTERN CONFEDERACY The Order of "American Knights." SECRET DOINGS OF NORTHEIM TRAITORS. The Name of Vallandigham and Many Others Connected with the Affair. The "Order of American Knights." Large Arrival of Prisoners. Guerrillas in Kentucky. Welland Canal Navigation Suspended. Weather at St. Johns, N.F.
July 29, 1864, Wednesday

"The Democrat publishes a long account of the conspiracy for the erection of a Northwestern Confederacy, reported a few days since. The organization engaged in this conspiracy to known as the "Order of American Knights," and its real object is to embarrass the Government in the conduct of the war, and to overthrow the Government, if necessary for the supremacy of the Order." [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

Following link opens PDF file.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9D03E4D7143EEE34BC4151DFB166838F679FDE

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On or around 1876. The same year that the Brooke Smith and Coggin, Ford and Martin Banks were built on Baker Street.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• CogginFordMartinBank-reduced.jpg
    CogginFordMartinBank-reduced.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,247
OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Natchez Daily Free Trader
Feb. 4, 1860 – September 28, 1860 , February 16, 1861
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/natchez_daily_free_trader.htm

NATCHEZ [MS] DAILY FREE TRADER, February 4, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
Cramming Down the Bible by Law.

Some of the warmest and most eloquent lovers of the Bible begin to consider human enactments, compelling that sacred volume to be read in schools, as a desecration. The New Orleans Daily Crescent quotes the remarks of Dr. W. A. Scott, formerly of New Orleans, now of San Francisco, against the proposition to have the Bible read in the public schools, with the following commendation:
The majority of the population of San Francisco are Northern men, and wedded, of course, to the puritanical notions received with their early education. These favor the compulsory reading of the Protestant Scriptures in the schools; and are also asking for a law compelling the observance of Sundays as a religious day of rest. Dr. Scott, formerly of this city, who now is pastor of Calvary Church, the larges, and perhaps, wealthiest Protestant congregation on the Pacific coast, has zealously taken ground against both these measures. He advocates strict religious equality and freedom, and thinks these should be a perfect and eternal separation of Church and State. Dr. Scott says that all that true Christians should ask for is a free field; they need no assistance from the Government, and should accept none. He, therefore, is opposed to all laws making a discrimination against the Catholics, by forcing the Protestant Bible in the schools; or against the jews or Turks, by compelling the observance of Sunday as the Sabbath.—On Thanksgiving day he delivered a sermon on these topics—which, he states, is nearly a counterpart of an address he once delivered in this city—and which we find replete with sound sense and genuine piety.

NATCHEZ [MS] DAILY FREE TRADER, March 30, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
The K. G. C.—A Few Remarks Thereon.

A society of the K. G. C., or Knights of the Golden Circle, will be formed in this city at an early day. The originators of this mystic order were certain military characters who resided in Lexington, Kentucky—the spring of 1854 being the date of its organization. The first object of the organization was to cultivate a martial spirit among the people of the South. The second object was to have a military organization in the South fully capable of defending our social and political rights from all assaults from our enemies at home and abroad. The past history and present aspects of our political affairs seemed to demand that an organization such as the K. G. C., fully armed and equipped and officered, was absolutely necessary. The order has steadily grown until now it numbers nearly forty thousand members, who are scattered over the Southern States of the Union, and the Northern States of Mexico. No society of the kind has in this country combined such an amount of talent, resources or numbers as has this. If we understand correctly, the present object of the K. G. C., is the invasion of Mexico. I is well known, that in this distracted country a cruel war has raged with scarce an intermission, for the past ten years. The country has been weakened by these intestine feuds; agriculture, commerce and manufacture have languished and the Mexican people have groaned under the oppression and tyranny of rival chieftains. At the present time there are two parties in Mexico, contending for the supremacy of the government. On the one hand stands the church party, with Miramon as their leader. On the other hand stands the liberal party, with Juarez as their leader. Our Minister to Mexico, Mr. McLane, has recently made a treaty with Juarez, which will be one of vast benefit to our government. Our government has already recognized the Liberal party as being the government of Mexico. The K. G. C.'s have already espoused the cause of the Liberals, and we are informed that it is their fixed determination to place it at the head of the Mexican Government, and thus aid them in restoring peace and harmony to a distracted country and an oppressed people. Our citizens will be addressed shortly on the subject of armed intervention in the affairs of Mexico, by one of the most distinguished of the "Knights of the Golden Circle," when we hope to see a large turn out. We speak what we know, or, as Hamlet would say, "by the Card," on this subject. The statements we have made in this connection have been derived from parties who are perfectly reliable and who are entitled to respectful consideration. Long live the K. G. C.'s—Vicksburg Sun.

NATCHEZ [MS] DAILY FREE TRADER, April 11, 1860, p. 3, c. 1
The K. G. C.
The Mobile Mercury of the 3d inst., contains the following:
Headquarters American Legion K. G. C.} Mobile, Ala., April 6th, 1860.} General Order No. 564}
Circumstances, which will be explained at a proper time, and in the usual way, have caused me to issue this, my official order, and I hereby command all faithful K. G. C.'s to obey the same.
Colonels of regiments, upon the receipt of these presents, and special orders this day mailed, will issue their orders to all commanders of Castles in their respective States, to assemble their forces at the earliest convenience, and at once, on the closing of the business of the Castle, proceed to elect one or more delegates to meet in final convention in the city of Raleigh, N. C., which will be headquarters until further notice, on Monday, the seventh day of May, [337] 1860, to transact the following business.
1. To elect a permanent Commander-in-Chief for the military department of the K. G. C., to organize the several departments of the same, and to duly commission and confirm all commissioned officers.
2. To elect a permanent financial chairman, and to thoroughly organize the moneyed department of the K. G. C.
3. To elect a permanent President of the third or governing department of the K. G. C., and to enact a code in accordance with the laws of the United States and the objects of this association, and top provide a board of advisement.
4. To determine upon equipment and time of motion—to prepare an address to the people of the Southern States; to erect such a standard of membership as will clear the association of all vicious character, and do all other necessary and lawful work embraced in the honorable time of the K. G. C.
Delegates, whether from the organization or the people, will have to bring proper credentials. Southern gentlemen, with evidences of social position are respectfully invited to partake in every part of the labors of the Convention, except what pertains to the mere ceremonial of the order exclusively.
No political or religious complications or questions can be entertained by the said Convention, when understood in a partizan or sectarian sense. The Convention will sit from day to day, until its labors shall have been completed, when it will adjourn, to meet no more as a Convention in the United States. As the aims and objects of the K. G. C. have been so much misrepresented, and as they should be so dear to every Southern heart, the newspapers of the Southern States friendly to the advancement of Southern interests and American enterprise are respectfully requested to copy. All letters must be addressed to Raleigh, N. C.
George Bickley, K. G. C., President American Legion.
Gen. Quitman was the founder of the order of the K. G. C.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION
November 16, 1860 – April 5, 1861
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, November 16, 1860,
masthead W. H. Rhea, Editor. The Constitution, the Union, and the Enforcement of the Laws. $2 per annum, in advance
Vol. 1, Number 2

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, November 16, 1860, p.3,c.4
Knights of the Golden Circle.—Gen. Bickley, who signs himself "President American Legion," writes as follows to The Galveston News of the causes of his delay to cross the Mexican Rubicon:
"The recent failure of Gen. Walker in his expedition to Honduras, and the silence of our Government in reference to the intervention of the British, has caused many to fear that our take would be more difficult than had been previously supposed. The difficulty of transporting large quantities of material and troops across the country, and the approaching Presidential contest, have all shown how necessary to success is the element of time. Arms that ought to have been at our rendezvous have not arrived, and agents have to be sent in search of them. Corn must be shipped from the Ohio river, and the force in this State simultaneously assembled. All this is the work of time. To throw ourselves in a body of 400 or 500 men only across the river would insure disaster. This will not do—if I cross it must be with every element of success in my hands, viz: men, arms, and materials. We shall cross at the earliest possible moment."

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, November 16, 1860, p.4,c.7
"Minute Men" in South Carolina.—As an offset to the "Wide Awakes" of the North, "Minute Men" are organizing in all the principal districts of South Carolina. The Charleston Mercury says:
"Their object is to form an armed body of men, and to join in with our fellow-citizens, now forming in this our sister States as 'Minute Men,' whose duty is to army, equip and drill, and be ready for any emergency that may arise in the present perilous position of Southern States. In Kershaw, Abbeville, and Richland districts the organization is already complete and powerful, embracing the flower of the youth, and led on by the most influential citizens. The badge adopted is a blue rosette—two and a half inches in diameter, with a military button in the centre, to be worn upon the side of the hat."

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, November 23, 1860, p.3,c.7
A Flying Machine Patented.—A flying machine has just been patented in London, consisting of a very light steam engine, which is to operate a huge pair of wings. Oil is to be used for fuel instead of wood or coal, that greater heat may be obtained with the same weight.

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, February 1, 1861, p.4,c.5
Twenty patriots of the Revolution have died within the last year. Eighty-two are now all that remain.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
THE ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX]
August 18, 1860 - May 3, 1861
Note: very poor copy
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/alamo_express.htm

ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], October 22, 1860, p. 3, c. 3
This morning, (Tuesday) we were called upon by Maj. Chas. Bickley aid-de-camp to Gen. Bickley.—He seems a pleasant young gentleman and, though from reasons we consider good, we differ widely and have no sympathy with this movement as explained in Gen. Bickley's speech we hope that Maj. Bickley will find our city pleasant to him. He is stopping at the City Hotel.

ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], November 5, 1860, p. 1, c. 4

The "K. G. C."
Below we give from the Austin "Southern Intelligencer" an account of the speech of Gen. Bickley which meets the necessity of the case so well that we transfer it to our columns instead of going into a review of the speech as reported in the Herald.
["] The following placard was displayed in our city on last Wednesday:

K. G. C.
Gen. Geo. Bickley, President of the American Legion of K. G. C. will address the citizens of Austin on the character and aim of the Knights of the Golden Circle, at the Hall over Darden and Maynard's, this (Wednesday) evening at 7½ o'clock. The public is respectfully invited to attend.
As our people are not much given to running after sights [except the circus,] and would not be humbugged even by the Biological, Odological Dr. Hale, the notice of itself would have excited but little attention in these speaking days, but for the circulation of a pamphlet by the orator, who is understood to be the President of the "K. G. C."
This pamphlet produced some excitement among a number of our citizens, who otherwise would not have attended the meeting. Among the passages which look to the political aspect of the thing, we copy the following:
"The Knights of the Golden Circle constitute a powerful military organizations [sic], as a nuceleus [sic] around which to hang such political considerations as will, if well managed, lead to the disenthrallment of the cotton States from the oppressive majority of the manufacturing and commercial interests of the North."
"The great West was being rapidly settled by Europeans who arrived in our country with deep rooted pejudices [sic] against slavery, until the anti-slavery party was no longer confined to the manufacturing districts of New England, but like some fatal epidemic, it has spread over the whole North and West."
"The Republican or Northern party is abolitionized—the Southern party is gong rapidly to secession. All parties in the North are free-soil; all parties in the South are constitutionalists, and when the provisions of that instrument are violated, then our people are secessionists. It is quite true that there are many pro-slavery men in the North—men who have stood by us [illegible] there are men in the south who are in favor of the Union [illegible]—men who to preserve the Union, would give up the slave institutions of the Southern States, and re-enact the farce and folly of Jamaican Emancipation."
"It is then clear that the acquisition of Southern territory by the Federal Government is a dangerous experiment, and not to be countenanced for one moment."
"Northern men have been called to edit our papers and Northern women to educate and train our daughters. The one propagates abolitionism by insidious clippings of abolition arguments, and weak comments thereof; the other, while their conduct is, so far as we have observed in the main, irreproachable, by constantly reminding the child of our duty to be kind and affable, and that we are all the work of the Creator, and of one race, so impress the child's mind that by the time it arrives at maturity it is already abolitionized."
"The third division or degree is also divided into two classes, the "Foreign and Home Councils." This is the political or governing division. The "Home Council" is one of pure advisement, and takes no active steps. It is unknown to the public or the first division of the K. G. C., and intended to guard us against infractions of the law. Like other "Home" classes it enjoys advantages known only to the order. The Foreign Council is divided into ten departments, representing respectively the interests of agriculture, education, manufacture, finance, police, war, navigation, law and foreign relations. Also from the "Foreign Council" there is selected three classes as a high court of appeals and entrusted with the making laws for the government of the K. G. C. These classes represent respectively the interests of capital, manufacturing and mining interests, and the interests of commerce [?] and agriculture.
"Our people must present an unbroken front—no division should now be tolerated. The old party issues should be forgotten, and we should have but one Electoral Ticket in the South, and that should be for a representative man. We now need men who will step boldly out and declare themselves either for or against us. The disposition to "shirk" the question and issue is ill-adapted to the dangers which now threaten us. Let us know our friends and our enemies."
"There is a mercantile objection, [illegible] that the K. G. C. will not "pay." To this objection we refer to the history of the Hudson's Bay and East India Companies.—The K. G. C. is precisely such an association as those, and as they won empires for Great Britain, so may the K. G. C. for a Southern Confederacy."
"It would make the South strong in or powerful out of the Union."
"Let the people go to work in earnest and the South will soon be mistress of her own interests and destiny. Put off this crisis another term and we are lost. The border States are slipping from our grasp, and unless the people are aroused to a full sense of their danger, the Southern Confederacy will embrace only the cotton States." ["]
We have made our quotations this extensive because it saves the necessity of a full report of the speech, which was in sentiment to all extents and purposes the same.
It is true the speaker began by denying all political objects and purposes; and he patriotically advised the election of Breckinridge, Douglas or Bell, if either could defeat Lincoln.—He disavowed disunion objects—and yet he insisted that there are but two parties—a Northern and Southern party; and he sought to teach that there should be but these sectional parties and to doubt the patriotism of all who thought differently. He regarded it as a foregone conclusion, that if Lincoln was elected, resistance would surely follow, and the "K. G. C." would become the rallying army for the Southern disunionist.
He read the first and second degrees of the order, but not the third. As the first degree swears "allegiance to the order, &c., and the speaker invited any one not satisfied to ask questions, Judge Paschal, [Union elector] rose and said: "I am not satisfied with the oath, and I wish to inquire, whether the "Allegiance" which you swear rises above or in subordination to the Constitution and the laws of the United States and of the respective States, where the members of the order may be?" The speaker said "yes" and to prove it he read from the first degree which says:
4. "You do each swear to obey the laws of the United States provided the same are consistent with the spirit and letter of the Constitution of the United States and the States in which you live; that you will do no act of which an American citizen should be ashamed?"
Judge Paschal said:
"Do the members of the order assume to themselves to determine the constitutionality of the laws of Congress and to resist them, or do they refer that question to the lawful tribunals of the land?" Gen. Bickley said: "As citizens we do judge of the constitutionality of laws, and act accordingly." At this answer, most theatrically expressed, the leading Breckinridge State officers present, applauded vociferously, as indeed they did at every sentiment of a revolutionary character.
The speaker then proceeded to give the Mexican view of the subject which he denied was filibusterism; but only a decent way of getting hold of the country, by some kind of conquest, and the bringing it into the United States, or else adding it to the Southern Confederacy. The plan was certainly more ornamental than practical. And the denial of Filibusterism was as little convincing as the denial that the thing is being used as a political engine.
But upon this part of the speech we have no criticism at present.
In the course of the remarks, frequent reference was made to the order being a "police regulation." When through, Judge Paschal took the stand and read the last paragraph in the pamphlet, in these words:
"The people must begin to examine the state of the nation, and determine on a line of policy united to the exigencies of the times. If the K. G. C. shall succeed we shall hear no more of the disunion, and, if so, it will be a secession of the North—not the South. We shall stand by the Constitution and the Government that will see that every provision thereof is religiously obeyed. Outside of all other considerations, the South ought to support and extend the K. G. C. organization and Domestic Police system—and [illegible] nucleus for her military system. That we [much of rest of column illegible]
ican People."
Judge Paschal then said: "I have understood that it has been said that the order acts as spies upon travelers, and even marks baggage, and that baggage has come marked to this city as suspicious. Is this so?"
Gen. Bickley—"It is."
Judge Paschal—"I wish to know if the Mexico which you may find in the District of Columbia, points to the contingency of the Presidential election, and if the order stands ready to obey Southern Governors and to raise the standard of rebellion, if they are not satisfied with the "Presidential election?" Gen. Bickley made quite a flourish of trumpets, and was understood to answer in the affirmative.
Gen. Bickley then said he wished to ask Judge P. a question. But instead thereof, he went into some declamation about the duty of citizens to obey their Governors; stated that Gov. Pettus of Mississippi and other Southern Governors were members of the order, and would act if Lincoln should be elected. He said that should he (B.) be in Texas, and Gov. Houston call for his services, his "tried sword" would be drawn, to march to the District of Columbia, or wherever else the Gov. Might command. Or should he be in Virginia, as little as he liked Gov. Letcher, he would march at his command. And he knew that Virginia would not submit, &c.
As to the "baggage searching," the spotting of men," &c., he said there ought to have been such an order thirty years ago; that people were welcome to search Bickley's baggage, and no sound man should object to it. It was intended for the nutmeg men, the Yankee pedlers, and such suspicious characters. His question was: "Did any one object to these sentiments, objects and practices."
Judge Paschall said: "This is not the place to express my full sentiments in regard to all I have heard to-night. It is the meeting of a man, who says he has expended six years and thousands of dollars in the cause. Great as I think his errors, I would speak of him with respect and courtesy.
But to the avowal that the order is a secret police; accustomed to denounce individuals; working by secret means, (as dangerous to the innocent as the guilty;_ that it marks baggage, and sends forward its suspicions with the unsuspecting traveler, that it is a secret order which undertakes to pass upon the soundness of Southern citizens, having a common interest in the subject of slavery—I say that it is the institution of the order or Robespiere, which will plunge us into a sea of revolution worse than the bloodiest days of France. It cannot, it will not be tolerated." He then briefly pointed out some of the consequences.
And he continued: "You all know that I never belonged to any secret order, and therefore I may overrate the dangers of secret higher law and political orders. I denounced the know-nothing order, because I saw in it a government and degrees, which taught an habitual disregard of the constitution in favor of the freedom of religion and the eligibility of all free white citizens of the United States to office. But here is an order which goes many steps further. It is "military, financial and political;" and its purposes by secret means, to attain its ends. It arrays itself with the misguided partizans who threaten to overthrow the government, should they not elect their candidate! And it proposes, by secret means, to proscribe all who will not fall into their revolutionary purposes. It is then a secret political agency, and one which establishes a police above the laws, which are sufficient for every emergency.
As to the sentiment that it is the duty to obey the governor, even should he raise the standard of rebellion. I have no language strong enough for it. Revolutions must be the work of the people. We elect governors to see that the laws are executed; not to inaugurate revolution. When the public voice is to be tested on such a subject, the question must be submitted to ever[y] voter; because each of them has an interest as high as the governor himself. Much as I love the Governor of Texas; highly as I honor his judgment and patriotism, yet I declare, that should he usurp the power of calling for soldiers to resist the constitution, laws and lawful authority of the United States, I would denounce him as a traitor to his oath. But I fear no such consequences.—Houston will never lead a rebellion; nor do I believe that any governor will take any such responsibility. Evils exist, dangers threaten, but to the people belong the questions of life, liberty, property and honor. All appeals to their judgments and passions, should be open and public. All plottings and cabals will be met by counter plots, until if continued you will have civil war at home and in our very streets. Improvident men are now [most of rest of column illegible]
lowered by the temper of the crowd.—There were however, some repetitions of the necessity of purely "northern and southern parties," and of fight and fury, whereat a few of the intense Yanceyites applauded with diminished enthusiasm.
We give this brief report to the public. We trust that Gen. Bickley will publish the entire speeches. We would hold no political party responsible for this secret order; but trust that all parties will disavow it as a secret political engine. In its secrecy, in its police espionage and its avowed southern confederacy disunionism, we see nothing but mischief. We trust its strength and the character of those who compose it are not fairly represented by its advocates. Secrecy in political movements, is not to be tolerated among a people who rely upon an enlightened public opinion.
Gen. Bickley said, that he could not speak for Austin, he could for Texas. We call upon every Texas editor and Texas speaker and candidate to speak for themselves. Judge Paschal has spoken the sentiments of this community, with a few uninfluential exceptions. He stands by the constitution and the laws against all mobs, higher lawism and secret espionage. And our citizens should be proud, that they had a man bold enough to speak in the right time, the right tone and temper towards men, who, however pure their motives might be, are certainly upon a most dangerous road. Let us have no political secret conclaves—no reign of terror—but let all political subjects be openly and boldly discussed.
We are glad to learn that the expose of the mysterious K. G. C., was not pleasing to some of the more moderate followers of the bolters, (the extremists had hoped to make a good thing of it.) Yesterday morning a large showbill was posted, giving notice that M. R. Reagan, Esq., would address the unterrified at the same place last night. It was whispered around, that Morris would "show up" the new secret political order, and prove it to be "a Bell and Everett trick." The editor attended, and found Gen. Bickley there, with his aids Col. Groiner and Maj. Bickley. Our friend Morris spoke to the great satisfaction of the organizers, and really got off some patriotic sentiments, such as a willingness to die for the country, and the declaration that "to spot a man in this country is to hang him to the first black oak." But there was so much of the warp and woof of "the fire the southern heart, and precipitate the Cotton States into a revolution—campaign orators, that Gen. Bickley mistook him for "one of 'em," and gave the sign, and after the speech, claimed him, and commenced reading the degrees. It was a rich meeting, and we heard a wag say, that if the Breckinridge orator came there to "show up" the K. G. C.'s he did it after the fashion of Archie [illegible] a story of the Belle who went to the Kentucky quarter-race, to see Bob Easly's new importation of the animal of the tribe which the queer cursing old Balaam road. The secrecy is too good a thing for the Yanceyites to shake off with such delicate jerks. They must put on the power which old Doddy Biggs employed upon the opossum, which would not let go when every foothold was broken. The K. G. C. will stick to them by the tail unless there is a hard shake.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 4, 1861, p. 3, c. 1
Summary: Almost illegible article about the K. G. C. turning out and raising a "dark blue [?] flag with a lone white star bordered with read in the center"

In response to an invitation extended to the Alamo Rifles by the San Antonio City Guards (K. G. C.), the [illegible] company was called together at 11 o'clock [illegible] and after some argument passed the following resolutions"
Resolved, [illegible] we acknowledge the [illegible] in the City Guards or any other company, to hoist the flag of the State at any time they deem proper, we would very respectfully decline its invitation extended [illegible] of participating in such a ceremony.
Resolved, We bow with all deference to the sovereignty of the State, and will [illegible] as much as any men in defence of her honor, her rights, and her cause—but we will never participate in a rejoicing of the fall of the stars and stripes, and [illegible] the State has seceded through her proper channel—the people—we acknowledge no other thing.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 6, 1861, p. 2, c. 3

Letter to Gen. Twiggs
In the "Ledger and Texan" of Tuesday we notice a letter from a committee of the K. G. C.'s, published by the consent of Gen. Twiggs, and as it is public property, we suppose we have the right to review it. It starts out by saying "the committee represent one hundred and twenty responsible citizens of San Antonio, K. G. C." The question naturally arises, what is it that constitutes a man a "responsible citizen." We take it that he must be a man of family, having "little responsibilities" to care for and protect—he must have property or business that makes it to his interest to act for the welfare of the whole, and not fore mere self, or he must be a man elected by consent of the people to represent them. It certainly can't mean merely "belonging to the K. G. C." With all due respect, and meaning nothing hard or unkind to many young friends and acquaintances, we can't see that a great portion of the one hundred and twenty, so far as we know them, have any but the latter questionable qualification for "responsibility"—being without families, fortunes, or steady business avocations, and holding no representative office from the people. [section illegible on film]

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 6, 1861, p. 3, c. 1
The Lone Star flag which was raised over Carolan's Auction room on Tuesday and left up over night, was floating Wednesday morning bespangled with the complete "glorious constellation," much to the annoyance of the enterprising gentlemen who put it up. Of course the culprit is not known. The stars were sewed on.

Gen. Twiggs.—It is rumored about our streets, and by men who ought to know, that Gen. Twiggs will, if Texas secedes, resign his commission immediately and take command of the K. G. C. forces in our State. We do not give this report as true beyond doubt, but as creating considerable gossip and speculation amongst our citizens. If our armies are to be commanded by Generals who hold so lightly their oaths of allegiance to their government,--and the "tug of war" ever comes, and things look squally, what guarantee have we that they can be depended upon.
Oh that all our Senators were like Crittenden and our military commanders like Bob Anderson, then would Columbia not be robbed of her glory or despoiled of her greatness.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 13, 1861, p. 3, c. 1

Major Clark Addresses
The Alamo Rifles.
On Tuesday night last after the drill and business of the Alamo Rifle company was over, the Captain announced that Major Clark desired to address the company, and therefore ordered the men to "fall in" outside of the armory. Major Clark stepped to the front of the company, came to a "front face," and commenced his speech in a very courteous manner, the burden of which was in substance as follows: I love the Alamo Rifles—I love every man in San Antonio—I come before you merely as a disinterested individual, without any authority for so doing, but merely to tell you what your duty is in these stirring times. The K. G. C. love you, they are sworn to protect you and the rest of the city—they are for the South and Texas—they have been misrepresented—they love you and expect you to stand by them when they kick up a muss—the people of Texas [10,000 voters] have declared themselves out of the Union—you must ratify their action at the ballot-box—you will be expected to back some unknown, and till now unheard of commissioners if they demand the government property—we must submit to our rulers—I, for one, "come weal or come woe," will die by the people of Texas, "from whom I have received nothing but kindness." Mr. Rifles, I again assure you, you are a ghlorious [sic] set of fellows and I love you. Adieu! [Applause]
We are an ardent admirer of Major Clark, and for him feel a kindness and respect, and am sorry that we cannot give him the benefit of a more extended report of his speech, and of our inability to present it in language that would sound more oratorical. We pretend merely to give the substance as it appeared to us. Some of our bull headed fellows could neither make head nor tail out of his remarks. They are and will remain in the dark until further developments as to who our rulers are and who those commissioners are.
If the Major wished to tell the Rifles their duty, we are rather inclined to think he has missed his "cue." Like true soldiers they know their duty to their country. We would further remark that politics is scrupulously avoided in the company, and but for it being forced upon the company, no political jarring would ever disturb the fellowship and kind feeling existing among its members. After breaking ranks, one of the company stepped up to Major Clark, and desired to ask him a question; the Major said "certainly." He then asked him, "Will you abide the decision of the people of Texas at the ballot-box?" "Certainly," replied the Major. Then continued the questioner, "If they decided to remain in the Union?" This puzzled the Major, and well it might, after declaring that he would die for Texas, but replied that he would, or "leave the State."

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 25, 1861, p. 2, c. 1

Election in San Antonio.
The election passed off in our city quietly and orderly, and resulted in favor of Union and "against secession," in spite of all the combinations, societies, court-house cliques &c., and in the face of threats, bullying, menaces, and brow beating. Of course the majority is small, but sufficient to redeem our city from the many misrepresentations sent abroad in regard to it.
Now let us review the field and see against what odds this victory was gained: There has been two secession newspapers thundering away for the last three months—the court house clique, from the Hon. District Judge to the precinct magistrates, embracing all the State and County and some of the city officials;--the K. G. C. order, embracing many Americans, several foreign born citizens and several prominent Mexicans, (and if we take the word of our neighbor the Herald this order embraces the principal men of wealth in our city,) with a State Convention in session; were the strong combinations arrayed against the Union party. The secessionists were well organized and worked hard, the Union party was unorganized and did but little challenging, while the disunionists by their close and insulting challenging kept many from the polls—making native Americans and men who had been citizens of the Republic of Texas and who have voted in our city for the last fifteen years swear to their votes, and compelled many foreigners to show their papers.—The Mexicans, with a few honorable exceptions, were corraled for Disunion.—Upon the whole we think it a glorious victory. San Antonio was persistently claimed by the secessionists.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 25, 1861, p. 3, c. 3

[From the S. A. Herald.]
George Bickley.
Castle K. G. C., Feb. 21st, '61.
Whereas, the Alamo Express, a paper published in San Antonio, has used its columns for the purpose of injuring the K. G. C., an order devoted to the protection of southern interests and preservation of southern institutions.
Resolved, That we commend that paper to the contempt and execration of all true southern men, and that we have this resolution published in the San Antonio Herald.
Copy of the minutes.
E. A. Briggs, secretary.
Medina River.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], February 27, 1861, p. 3, c. 1

Col. Waite and the Commissioners
Dame Rumor gives us the following account of the late excitement kicked up by the Commissioners: The building occupied by the U. S. disbursing officers was taken possession of on Tuesday morning a detachment of K. G. C. under command of the "Commissioners." They (the Com.) demanded of Col. Waite to order the disbursing officers to deliver over the money in their hands. Col. Waite refused—said he did not recognize them as having authority to make such a demand. Commissioner Lucket, told Col. Waite he would arrest him, if he did not give the order; Col. Waite told Lucket he would be the last man he would arrest.—Col. Waite was then ordered to vacate his quarters. he [sic] replied, he would not do so until ordered by his Government. Commissioners got tired bullying the old soldier and proceeded to take possession of the different disbursing offices ordering the clerks to leave or be considered under arrest. Col. Waite is still "at large"—and the Commissioners only made a raise of fifteen Dollars, which, Major McClure says, belongs to him. This is what Madame Rumor says, and this is the only authority we have at this point.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 4, 1861, p. 3, c. 1
Ominous.—On Saturday, the 2nd of March, the day of Texas Independence, just at 12 A.M., the time the secession ordinance was to take effect, the Lone Star Flag over Carolan's Auction room, the Head Quarters of Travis, fell to the ground, the K. G. C. Flag floating over Braden's Grocery appeared minus the Star, and the flag raised over the Alamo in attempting to get it down, caught half mast and there staid some time in spite of the efforts to haul it down.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 22, 1861, p. 3, c. 1

We take the following from the published proceedings of the K. G. Convention:
Mr. Barziza, of Chambers, moved that the convention proceed to elect a marshal, Brigade and staff officers, and a State Treasurer, and that the Marshal be empowered to appoint all other officers necessary to a complete organization of the several departments. Marshal of the Texas Division, Geo. W. Chilton of Tyler, Smith county, Texas; Eastern Brigade, Elkana Greer of Marshal, Harrison county, Texas; Western Brigade, John A. Wilcox of San Antonio, Bexar county, Texas; State Treasurer, Jas. Vance of San Antonio, Bexar county, Texas.

TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 22, 1861, p. 3, c. 1

War Declared.
We take the following startling news from the published proceedings of K. G. C. Convention which was held in our city on the 22 of Febr last:
The committee further report the following resolution from the Seguin Castle, and recommend their adoption:
Resolved: By Seguin Castle, Guadalupe County, Texas, that if any non-slaveholding government, power or people, attempt to establish a protectorate over the Republic of Mexico, such action shall be, and the same is hereby declared to be hostile to the rights and interests of the South and the K. G. C.
Resolved further, That any such action on the party of any such non-slaveholding government, power or people, be, and the same is hereby declared to be, just cause of war on the part of the South and the K. G. C.
Resolved further, That it is the deliberate judgment and sincere desire of the Castle, that immediate action "vi et armis" should be taken by the South and the K. G. C., to repel any such attempt, should it be made.
According to the same proceedings the number of K. G. C. soldiers in the amount of 929 horse, and 139 foot. As there is a likelihood of both England and France having a word to say about Mexico we think it unkind in the K. G. C. to thus declare ware against the Emperor and Queen before due notice was given in order to allow them sufficient time to abdicate rather than carry on so unequal a conflict.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS]
March 26, 1864 – November 11, 1864
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/leavenworth_times_64.htm

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], April 2, 1864, p. 2, c. 3

The Order.

That secret society, known as the Knights of the Golden Circle, is the cause of all the mischief which has occurred in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. It is the means through which rebels at heart have resisted the good cause, and defied the law.
That it has some strength all over the West, and in the cities of the East, is known. That its purpose is to overthrow the Government, all admit. Yet, in ritual and form and outward declaration, it is Conservative. So artfully covered, too, is its Conservatism, that, at a glance, one not initiated would not understand its purpose or get at the heart of the Order.
This is its pledge:
"I solemnly pledge my word and honor to the members of this organization, that I will not reveal its existence to any one whose political principles I do not know to be unmistakably the same as our own, and whom I desire to initiate. That I will not reveal its pass words or signs, or any of its secrets, to any one not regularly initiated into its ranks. That I will stand shoulder to shoulder with this brother hood in a faithful and manly support of its purposes and principles, and that I will at all times promptly obey every order that shall be given me under its regulation, if in my power so to do. I pledge the honor of a freeman, and one who desires to continue so, that I will keep these promises faithfully."
The "charge" is seemingly fair, if partisan. It invokes law, and declares that the law must be sustained. It appeals to freemen to sustain freedom. But the liberty it asks is their own liberty—not a principle, not a universal, fundamental law—but, a liberty limited by their theory, and to be established by their practice. Logically, it is a South Carolina Texas order in Illinois and Indiana, and intended to do, in the future, what "their brethren" are now seeking to accomplish in the rebel States.
We copy portions of the charge:
["] A single thread is easily broken, but combine many such threads into a cable, and it will resist a giant's strength. One man, however brave of heart and patriotic of purpose, can offer no effective resistance to the armed and leagued minions of abolition; but let all true men touch elbows, and stand firmly together in this perilous hour, for their mutual protection and the maintenance of the right; and their united voices will be heard, their united power respected, and the giant despotism which now threatens us be checked and mastered. This organization will very soon embrace all true, unbought, unpurchasable men, and particularly every Simon Pure Democrat, for these are the cherished principles of his heart.
This organization is made up of clubs (of ten) for greater secrecy and quickness of communication with all its members, and promptness of action, although the true men around you will be united in its folds and working with you in a common cause. You will know none except those in your own club, nor will any outside of your own club know you. If a club acts imprudently and exposes its members, it exposes only those who are in that club; they cannot expose you; they do not know you as members, and you do not know them. The Chief of your club reports back to the club in which he was initiated. Beyond these two clubs, he knows nothing of the individual members of this great brotherhood.
Be careful not to reveal anything that you hear or see in this club or from any member of it, to any one not a member. Be cautious in conversation with brother members, that you are not overhead. Study secrecy, caution, watchfulness, that you may aid in the best manner to overcome the enemies of your liberty, who are both secret and subtle.
Never propose any one for membership whom you do not know to be true to our cause in heart and action. A Judas in your club might endanger you, and throw discredit upon us, by communicating with our enemies.["]
The outbreak in Illinois will develop, probably, the strength of the Golden Circle, and if that outbreak shall be effectually crushed, as we trust it will be, there will be an end of the order in the Free States. Nor would we dally with it. A stern, decided blow would save life and ensure peace, even if many should fall or suffer when and where it is given. It is a case, in our judgment, where prompt, quick decision, that resolute energy of action which, under the law, seizes offenders and punishes them promptly and severely.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
The KGC was started by John Calhoun and William Porcher in 1835. It was supposed to be a "filibustering society", mainly for Mexico but it's big goal was a "Southern Empire" and "Empire" was their word, they didn't want the southern states, they wanted an empire and they planned to use part of Mexico for their empire. Then along came George Bickley in 1860 and the rest is history, so to speak.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
WEEKLY, SEMI-WEEKLY AND DAILY MISSISSIPPIAN [JACKSON, MS]
January 3, 1860 - July 10, 1864
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/mississippian.htm

DAILY MISSISSIPPIAN [JACKSON, MS], November 30, 1860, p. 2, c. 2

Grand Rally of the "Minute Men."
The Minute Men will have a Grand Torch Light procession to-night.
An address will be delivered at the Capitol after the procession by the Hon. W. L. Harris.
A general attendance is invited.
Programme.
1st—Jackson Brass Band.
2d—Rocket Corps.
3d—Mississippi Rifles.
4th—Minute Men.
5th—Knights G. C.
6th—Citizens and Strangers.
7th—Jackson Fire Company.
8th—Jackson Guards.
9th—Mississippi Capital Dragoons.
10th—Quitman Light Artillery.
Procession will be formed on State Street in front of the Armory of Miss. Rifles.
Strangers who are with us in this move for Southern rights, are most cordially invited to join Procession.
It is desirable that all who join the Profession [sic?] should wear the Blue Cockade.
Friday, Nov. 30th 1860.

WEEKLY MISSISSIPPIAN [JACKSON, MS], January 16, 1861, p. 2, c. 1

A Cheering Voice from Texas!
Amid the din of warring sections, and the loud notes of feindish [sic] hate that are borne to us upon every gale from the North, the following letter comes from the Lone Star State as a messenger of sympathy in our struggle for independence. I tis written by the hand, and is the emanation of the noble heart, of a lady, formerly of Mississippi, who illustrates the patriotism of her sex in this hour of trial, but not of gloom, for even now we look hopefully upon the silver lining of the cloud that shirts our horizon.
Gladly will the men of Mississippi enter the lists to prove their sheild [sic] and spear in the championship of Southern rights and honor and the protection of Southern women:
Vialoolah, Dec. 28th, 1860
Dear Sir:--Enclosed you will find a "rosette," it combines the tricolor of the Texas flag with its Lone Star, and was the revolutionary badge. It is now adopted as the distinctive badge of those Texas volunteers who are in readiness as "Minute Men," to answer the call of South Carolina, or any other Southern State.
I send it to you that it may be worthily worn and bravely defended as the champion of lady's gage, challenge to chivalric and generous emulation the true knights of Mississippi to link their shields with the volunteers of Texas, advance their penons in the front of danger, and to him that plants his standard in the thickest of the fight be the award of valor and the prize of patriotism.
Texas will be ready in full time to join her sister States in a Southern Confederacy. Yours truly and respectfully, M. H. W.

OP
OP
cccalco

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
NASHVILLE DISPATCH
November 1, 1862 -- March 31, 1863
http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/nashville_dispatch_no62-mr63.htm

NASHVILLE DISPATCH, October 3, 1862, p. 3, c. 1
Order Concerning Searches and Seizures.—The following was issued on Wednesday by command of Gen. Negley:
General Order No. 8.
Headquarters U. S. Forces, }
Nashville, Oct. 1, 1862.
I. Numerous complaints are made to these Headquarters of searches on private premises and seizures of private property by unauthorized persons.
II. Hereafter no searches or seizures shall be made unless first approved at these Headquarters. All private property seized for the use of the Government, must be turned over to the Post Commissary or Quartermaster, as the case may be, and properly accounted for.
By command of
Brigadier General Negley.
James A. Lowrie, Captain and A. A. G.

NASHVILLE DISPATCH, March 13, 1863, p. 2, c. 1
Billy Collier has sent us a little work entitled, "Incidents of the War, or the Romance and Realities of Soldier Life." It is a medley of incidents and anecdotes of the war, some of which are very readable. We notice the historical accuracy of some of them is very bad.
He has also sent us what professes to be "An Authentic Exposition of the Knights of the golden Circle, or a History of Secession from 1834 to 1861, by a Member of the Order."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions