WAS LEWIS CASS A KNIGHT OF THE GOLDEN CIRCLE?

Was Lewis Cass K.G.C. ?

• yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that he was a high ranking Knight in the inner circle. We have proof that he was involved secretly with another K.G.C. spy that was positioned in the U.S. Government by Lewis Cass straight out of college. Selected and groomed for his position by elders in the Freemasons as well as the K.G.C.
Lewis Cass 481px-Lewis_Cass_circa_1855.jpg
P.S. The look on his face is priceless. It is how I imagine him looking at me if he were alive, for the K.G.C. accusations I just made against him. LOL :laughing7:
L.C. BAKER

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
From authentic exposition of the K.G.C.

Becoming impatient with the slow movements of the United
States Government respecting the acquisition of territory, the
Knights resolved to try another filibustering expedition. For the
heading of this expedition they had, in their own ranks, one of the
most daring and courageous of " chivalrous " adventurers. J allude
to the no less personage than General Walker. This gentleman
was duly furnished and equipped with ships, men, and money by
the liberal members of the K. G. C, and sent out to "take Nicaragua."
How he took it, everybody knows. But, as in the instance
of the Cuban filibuster war, the effort was not expected to
prove successful, but was merely thrown out as a feeler, to determine
the condition of Uncle Sam's pulse. After Mr. Buchanan's
accession to power, Walker's expeditions were renewed with increased
energy ; and it was sincerely hoped that, by some ingenious
maneuver, he would induce somebody to "insult" the United
States, so that a good excuse might be afforded for an aggressive
war. In this expectation, however, they were greatly disappointed;
for nobody did insult the United States, nor even General Walker,
half as much as they were insulted. The only injustice done that
individual was, that he was not hung before he started on his first
expedition, do to the time of which I am now writing, the order
of the K. G. C. was a rather insignificant one in point of numbers.
There were, in fact, very few persons, not members of the institution,
who even knew of its existence.

From 1857 to 1860, Lewis Cass served as Secretary of State under President James Buchanan. He was sympathetic to American filibusterers and was instrumental in having Commodore Hiram Paulding removed from command for his landing of Marines in Nicaragua and compelling the removal of William Walker to the United States. this to me is a sign of his true Knights of the Golden Circle affiliation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
During his long political career, Cass served as a governor of the Michigan Territory, an American ambassador, a U.S. Senator representing Michigan, and co-founder as well as first Masonic Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan. He was the losing nominee of the Democratic Party for president in 1848. Cass was nationally famous as a leading spokesman for the controversial Doctrine of Popular Sovereignty, which would have allowed voters in the territories to determine whether to make slavery legal instead of having Congress decide.
He was initiated an Entered Apprentice of the Freemasons in what is now American Union Lodge No.1 at Marietta on Dec. 5, 1803 His Fellow-craft degree came on April 2, and Master Mason degree on May 7, 1804. On June 24, 1805, he was admitted a Charter member of Lodge of Amity 105 (now No.5), Zanesville. He served as the first Worshipful Master of Lodge of Amity in 1806. Cass was one of the founders of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, representing Lodge of Amity at the first meeting on January 4, 1808. He was elected Deputy Grand Master on January 5, 1809, and Grand Master on January 3, 1810, January 8, 1811, and January 8, 1812. Later he went on to co-found the Grand Lodge of Michigan being elected as its first Grand Master on July 21, 1826. He would serve as Grand Master of Michigan again in 1844. In 1807,
A Freemason of his caliber would have known Albert Pike on many public and more personal levels. All communications between these two men should be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb.
L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
During the War between the States, former President Pierce openly opposed the use of military force to make the Southern States rejoin the union. In fact, from his home in New Hampshire, Lewis Cass carried on wartime correspondence with his old friend and cabinet member Jefferson Davis who was now President of the Confederacy.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
During his long political career, Cass served as a governor of the Michigan Territory, an American ambassador, a U.S. Senator representing Michigan, and co-founder as well as first Masonic Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan. He was the losing nominee of the Democratic Party for president in 1848. Cass was nationally famous as a leading spokesman for the controversial Doctrine of Popular Sovereignty, which would have allowed voters in the territories to determine whether to make slavery legal instead of having Congress decide.
He was initiated an Entered Apprentice of the Freemasons in what is now American Union Lodge No.1 at Marietta on Dec. 5, 1803 His Fellow-craft degree came on April 2, and Master Mason degree on May 7, 1804. On June 24, 1805, he was admitted a Charter member of Lodge of Amity 105 (now No.5), Zanesville. He served as the first Worshipful Master of Lodge of Amity in 1806. Cass was one of the founders of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, representing Lodge of Amity at the first meeting on January 4, 1808. He was elected Deputy Grand Master on January 5, 1809, and Grand Master on January 3, 1810, January 8, 1811, and January 8, 1812. Later he went on to co-found the Grand Lodge of Michigan being elected as its first Grand Master on July 21, 1826. He would serve as Grand Master of Michigan again in 1844. In 1807,
A Freemason of his caliber would have known Albert Pike on many public and more personal levels. All communications between these two men should be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb.
L.C. Baker

1807...? AP: 12/29/1809-4/02/1891...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Is something not correct in that post? I could be quoting misinformation.. let me know please.
Thanks for your interest,L.C.

Going by your ORIGINAL "post" # 3; Albert Pike was born in 1809... could not have met Cass in 1807...

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Going by your ORIGINAL "post" # 3; Albert Pike was born in 1809... could not have met Cass in 1807...[/QUO
A Pike was schooled by Lewis Cass and those associated with him. That was the point I was trying to make. Lewis Cass was in the Inner Sanctum of more than one organization. The dates are from wiki. They may be incorrect.
Thanks, L.C.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Going by your ORIGINAL "post" # 3; Albert Pike was born in 1809... could not have met Cass in 1807...[/QUO
A Pike was schooled by Lewis Cass and those associated with him. That was the point I was trying to make. Lewis Cass was in the Inner Sanctum of more than one organization. The dates are from wiki. They may be incorrect.
Thanks, L.C.

WIKI...? On CASS...?!!!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"I CHOOSE TO HAVE IT DISTINCTLY UNDERSTOOD, THAT IT WAS NOT THE INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY ITSELF, I WAS DEFENDING. IT WAS THE POLITICAL RIGHTS OF OTHER SECTIONS OF THIS COUNTRY UNDER THE CONSTITUTION.

Spoken like a true "Copperhead"

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have any doubt about Mr. Cass being a Copperhead, just read the speech that he gave on november 4th 1854 to the Democratic Democracy of Detroit. It seems that he had been attacked by the press for defending the Southern cause.

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cass to Pike

L.C., and Rebel; Cass was Grand Master of Masons in Michigan in 1844. Well he served two terms 1826 and again in 1844. At the time around the War of Northern Aggression Pike would have very much been in a position to communicate with Cass on a Masonic level. We know that Cass carried on correspondence with Jefferson Davis during this time and that being said no doubt that there were also letters exchanged between Cass and Pike. Most likely in latin or some other ancient language and maybe not only relating to Freemasonry but also other subjects of interest to them both. From about 1854 to the end of his life Pike was to be heavily involved with the Masonic Fraternity. Even during the war years of 1861 to 1865. Pike was to become Sovereign Grand Inspector General or Head of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States first time in 1857 the again in 1859 and retain that post until his death. Why wouldn't Cass have wanted to communicated with him. Both had much in common. The least of these was Freemasonry. It is doubtful that Pike was a student of Cass's but Masonically they were joined at the hip. Both has a great love for the craft and may be that their politics were not that far apart ether. At best Cass may have been a mentor to Pike. He would have been more of student of Albert G. Mackey. Albert Mackey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This line of thinking may be speculation but a educated guess is better than a shot in the dark.

Senior Deacon

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C., and Rebel; Cass was Grand Master of Masons in Michigan in 1844. Well he served two terms 1826 and again in 1844. At the time around the War of Northern Aggression Pike would have very much been in a position to communicate with Cass on a Masonic level. We know that Cass carried on correspondence with Jefferson Davis during this time and that being said no doubt that there were also letters exchanged between Cass and Pike. Most likely in latin or some other ancient language and maybe not only relating to Freemasonry but also other subjects of interest to them both. From about 1854 to the end of his life Pike was to be heavily involved with the Masonic Fraternity. Even during the war years of 1861 to 1865. Pike was to become Sovereign Grand Inspector General or Head of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States first time in 1857 the again in 1859 and retain that post until his death. Why wouldn't Cass have wanted to communicated with him. Both had much in common. The least of these was Freemasonry. It is doubtful that Pike was a student of Cass's but Masonically they were joined at the hip. Both has a great love for the craft and may be that their politics were not that far apart ether. At best Cass may have been a mentor to Pike. He would have been more of student of Albert G. Mackey. Albert Mackey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This line of thinking may be speculation but a educated guess is better than a shot in the dark.

Senior Deacon

Lewis Cass was a K.G.C. Brother to Albert Pike as well as a masonic brother.

P.S. Why wouldn't Cass have wanted to communicated with him? Publicly it would have attracted the wrong kind of attention to them. The secrets they were dealing in were on a presidential level with Franklin Pierce and his Sec. of War Jefferson Davis in 1853 just before the K.G.C.'s move on Nebraska and Kansas. It was when Mckendree Gwin and Ben Ficklin were meeting in the West to head back east and William Walker had just been recognized by Pierce as the President of Baja California. It was a time of turmoil and President Pierce was doing all he could to help his K.G.C. brothers force slavery into the territories of Nebraska and Kansas as well as supporting William Walker's Filibustering campaign. Just look at Lewis Cass's reaction to the removal of William walker from Nicaragua or take a gander at his speech to the democratic democracy of Detroit in November of 1854. His true colors show through the mask...or should I say helmet.

L.C.

Last edited:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. No dispute on that. Guess I was trying to say the same thing in a very drawn out way and to make another point that there was more going on than meets the eye under a cloak of different color. These two men were educated men at a time would have wanted to coordinate their activities for the common good of both. Cass had a way to the most powerful office in the land and Pike most likely the secretary of the inter circle of the K.G.C. Who would you want to convey orders to the man who could make happen what you wanted and need to be done.

Senior Deacon

P.S. As a side note there was a reason that I made note of Albert Mackey. You might want to keep a eye on him. As he was one of the big promoters of Albert Pike. He was the one who ANNOUNCED to the Masonic world the coronation of Albert Pike to Sovereign Grand Inspector General Twice. You interested yet. Note that Mackey gave up a lucrative medical practice about the time that the K.G.C. started. Also note that bones and disease was not all he was interested in. Here is one of his works. The Symbolism of Freemasonry, by Albert G. Mackey, M.D. Oh and note if you will where brother Mackey lived. S.D.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Albert Mackey was more than likely a root of what would eventually become the O.A.K.....It's a funny thing about people and noble causes, they do really :icon_scratch:good until the money begins to poor in and corrupt their judgement.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone with any doubt about Lewis Cass's TRUE position on slavery and the use of it in the Nebraska Territory should go to their local Library and request a copy of General Cass's November the 4th 1854 "ADDRESS TO THE DEMOCRACY OF DETROIT" held at the Detroit City Hall. I had to pay for my copy and it took them several days to find it for me. Perhaps after reading what the man actually said instead of basing your opinion on easy to get history books will make the notion that Mr. Cass was a member of the K.G.C. seem a little less "preposterous". His notion of what should be done in Nebraska Territory is very evident. The speech was given a couple of months before Cass sent young Julius Sterling Morton to Nebraska with a letter of introduction to meet Nebraska's first Governor a slave owner from Pendleton South Carolina Francis Burt.

"AS AMERICAN CITIZENS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SLAVERY OUT OF YOUR OWN STATE, EXCEPT TO CARRY IN EFFECT THE PROVISIONS OF THE CONSTITUTION FOR THE SURRENDER OF FUGITIVES FROM LABOR AND FAITHFULLY TO OBSERVE ITS STIPULATIONS RESPECTING THE TAXATION AND REPRESENTATION CONNECTED WITH THAT INSTITUTION."
- LEWIS CASS

lewis cass.jpg

Start hoeing, L.C.:thumbsup:

"

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert Mackey was more than likely a root of what would eventually become the O.A.K.....It's a funny thing about people and noble causes, they do really :icon_scratch:good until the money begins to poor in and corrupt their judgement.

AMEN to that.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to say that I am well aware that Lewis Cass has been quoted in both directions, North and South that is what most of this 1854 Detroit address was about. Cass was a politician respected and hated by both sides, he was in the middle and called "The Father of ALL Dough-faces" ..... and it was not because he has that look on his face either.:laughing7:
Some tend to forget Lewis Cass's actions concerning William Walker in Nicaragua and the fact that he had been the right hand man of Andrew Jackson during the Indian campaigns. He was also very close to Thomas Jefferson whom he was first appointed by. In short Lewis Cass has a very long political history and relationships with multiple Presidents. Cass and the K.G.C. both existed a long before 1861 and his actions speak for the mans general direction of heading. This thread is a question not a statement because I am still gathering information on him, but the letter he wrote and handed to Julius Morton is priceless information of silent support by " Brothers". at that time they were mostly Democrats but over time they changed with the system, as did Cass who was a Whig.
There is no doubt that Cass saw "slavery as an evil that needed to be ended by law"....as did George Washington and Thomas Jefferson who both ironically owned slaves. My point is just because Cass believed slavery was an evil and wrong on many levels, it does not mean that he felt he or any other American had the right to tell other Americans how to feel about it and force their opinions on them infringing upon their constitutional rights. What to keep in mind is that Cass wanted to keep the country together and do the right thing by the constitution, but he was talking about the evils of slavery a long time before it was a national crisis. Simply look at his actions before the Civil War era and his headings during all of that time and who was pointing it out to him. One also has to grip what effects political sentiments can have on money making investments. In the history books it is stated that Morton came to Nebraska in 1854 for specific reasons and none of them concerned any land speculation or RR investments in Nebraska City. However, I found out that Julius Morton had established "land speculations and mercantile friendships" in Nebraska before July 4th 1856. I have to wonder where did he get the money for it? Who told him the RR was coming to terminate at Nebraska City on the East side of the Missouri River? Who told them? Most of all, why didn't it happen?

L.C.

Vallandigham Morton Benjamin.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread