Carvings or Graffiti?

Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is all graffiti or if there is any relevance in any of these symbols. These are just the few that I took while I was there. I plan on going back to thoroughly document each one DSCN3188.JPG DSCN3189.JPG DSCN3186.JPG DSCN3181.JPG DSCN3170.JPG DSCN3171.JPG DSCN3167.JPG DSCN3164.JPG DSCN3178.JPG

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi musicmaker and welcome aboard. Those are some goodlooking symbols you have there. I will make some suggestions if that is okay.

1. use a soft bristled steel brush and clean the carvings up. That may help in identifying the symbols. B.) make a map of the area. Pick out what you believe to be the most important tree and get bearings and distances to all the other trees with markings on them. Pay special attention to any tree that has a rock at the bottom of it. C.) Try to age the trees. Many factors play into the growth of a tree. If you are not familiar with the growth pattern in the area where these trees are, talk to some one who knows. I find that a High School FFA teacher is usually the best and fastest source for this. Knowing the age of your trees will help you out with the next suggestion.

2) research, research, research. Did i say Research? Within 50 or so years of the age of your trees you need to know every event of the history of this region. You need to know who was there and who was passing through. You need to know all the battles that took place in the time frame of these trees. and you need to know who all the wealthy landowners were. All the Judges, lawyers, and politicians and Masons. Hopefully you will be able to nail down who left these symbols and why and what you might be looking for at the end of the trail. The library is a good place to start but if you can get into the nearest Masonic archives might put way out in front of the hunt. I hope it helps, Best of luck.

Pinwheel

P.s. Just one more. Take your time and look at all the threads with trees in them. That will give you a little better understaning. Kgc forum has the most, but there are some in Treasure marks/signs too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Pinwheel, thanks for moving me to this forum. And yes, it is definitely okay to make suggestions. I'm all ears. After looking at some other threads I agree that this is better suited here. And thanks for the extra tips. I've already started some research into the land and previous owners and the surrounding area. And nearby is a place that used to be owned by a man who had slaves and a lot of land. I am currently looking at a map of the area from the 1860's (I believe) so I'll see if I can nail down some names. I'll also try that steel brush maybe use some chalk. I've got a map started and I'm going to go take detailed notes and photos of the trees individually. I think I'm seeing some Native American symbols? I don't know. Any tips on determining the age of these trees?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Those BEECH trees of Botetourt County, Va. have MANY "carvings"... I agree with "pinwheel" to RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! The library on Front Street in Buchanon, Va. has a WONDERFUL Reference section for historical research, (been there for research on BEALE TREASURE, Beale Family near Purgatory Mountain, Looney's Ferry, MANY "Smelting furnaces", HUGE furnace on Roaring Run...etc). Keep us posted. MANY Ore furnaces west of Blue Ridge Parkway in Roanoke County, Va. (south of Botetourt County);
carvings MAY be direction(s) "indicators"... dunno.

Last edited:

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey Pinwheel, thanks for moving me to this forum. And yes, it is definitely okay to make suggestions. I'm all ears. After looking at some other threads I agree that this is better suited here. And thanks for the extra tips. I've already started some research into the land and previous owners and the surrounding area. And nearby is a place that used to be owned by a man who had slaves and a lot of land. I am currently looking at a map of the area from the 1860's (I believe) so I'll see if I can nail down some names. I'll also try that steel brush maybe use some chalk. I've got a map started and I'm going to go take detailed notes and photos of the trees individually. I think I'm seeing some Native American symbols? I don't know. Any tips on determining the age of these trees?

Musicmaker. When using the steel brush, do not over do it. If you need to chalk is ok, but a non permanent black marker will show up better. It has it's downfall, when it is highlighted other passerbyers may take note of the carvings as well. However it should fade after a good rain and a little sunshine.

When highlighting with chalk or marker, only highlight what is clearly carved. Dont guess that two lines are supposed to connect and go ahead and connect them with your highlighter. If Lines do not connect, the carver did not make a mistake. He carved it that way as a clue. So only mark what is clearly carved. Best of luck to you.

Pinwheel.

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been able to get to the local libraries yet but from some internet research I've found that one of the first houses in the area was established right around the revolutionary war. And I read that George Washington personally sent someone to survey it and then gave it to the man. I need to look at a Masonic archive to see if any names match up.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
George Washington; one of the most famous masons of all time.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
As to George Washington... his "high-ranking" officers were also Free Masons (Master Masons or Holy Royal Arch Masons, of the 7th degree), and had their Secret Society (Society of the Cincinnati). Neither Scottish Rite nor Free Masonic Knights Templar existed until the 1800's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to pardon the lack of specifics but I'm not sure yet which info I should release. Upon detailed research into a nearby place and the family name attached to it I came across masons from the late 18th century master masons in the early 1800s all the way to high ranking generals during the civil war. Some may be attached to KGC but I haven't found anything definite besides certain names being passed down in families. One particular general is possibly an envoy appointed to the emperor of Mexico for the CSA. Going to try and clean these trees sometime this week and get a better look.

Last edited:

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Musicmaker. You are correct about the information about others you release on a public forum.

A few years ago there was a fellow by the name of swiftsearcher who realesed some information about one guy. He was sued by the guys decendents. It ruined him fianancialy.

I believed he was from your area also.
He had a long running thread. Sorry, icannot recall the name of the thread right now.

You should read it. It is a good read.

Pinwheel

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thread got really exciting. With the symbols and that man that he saw out there and then at the hospital his dad was staying. Then boom he started saying that the kgc treasure wasn't what everyone thought it was for and then he stopped. It read almost like a novel. I'm hoping to get a lot done this week and if not this week then definitely next weekend. It can get really exciting when you let your mind ponder all the fascinating possibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks rebel! I thought it too imperfect to be a heart unless the lines were arrows or something. Guess i should start thinking a little past the obvious! need to get back out and clean it up a bit more.The weather has put a damper on any plans to get any field work done but sure leaves a lot of time for r&i.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Rebel: I think you are right about the railroad tracks. But I did not see a face. Here is what I do see.

The Number 2 just to the bottom left of image.

inside image is an upside down backwards L

Near the L is a number 7

I also see the number 8 inside the image

I do not think the 8 is real because it does not show up on inverted pic. But it might show up after cleaning.
DSCN3192.JPG

There are other symbols to be considered.

Pinwheel

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel: I think you are right about the railroad tracks. But I did not see a face. Here is what I do see.

The Number 2 just to the bottom left of image.

inside image is an upside down backwards L

Near the L is a number 7

I also see the number 8 inside the image

I do not think the 8 is real because it does not show up on inverted pic. But it might show up after cleaning.
View attachment 944764

There are other symbols to be considered.

Pinwheel

In the inverted colors image I notice a rough circle with a smooth circle in the middle. Maybe the outer circle was smoother when it was made and became rough due to growth?

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
:icon_thumleft: Rebel, i think i see what you mean about the butterfly on the rails, BUT, how do you read it, or in other words, what did the carver tell you in doing that? is it distance, direction, ( not likely distance the way they fly ) walk softly or something else??
thanks for helping.:coffee2: 10claw

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread